Thread: How reliable is Hornady 75gr. Tap 223 regarding incapacitation?

Feedback Score

How reliable is Hornady 75gr. Tap 223 regarding incapacitation?

I have seen action with different weapons while in the USMC with the exception of the 5.56/223 rifle. I bought 3 days ago a Colt M4-model 6920 and also bought Hornady 75gr. Tap .223 ammo. To me gun fights are like fist fights> most people are looking for the one punch knockout but don't realize that it may take several punches to set up the knockout punch. My question is with good shot placement how well does this pre-mentioned ammo incapacitate? The 5.56/223 rifle is what I know best and will be added to my home protection. Thanks for all thoughts.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    I have seen action with different weapons while in the USMC with the exception of the 5.56/223 rifle. I bought 3 days ago a Colt M4-model 6920 and also bought Hornady 75gr. Tap .223 ammo. To me gun fights are like fist fights> most people are looking for the one punch knockout but don't realize that it may take several punches to set up the knockout punch. My question is with good shot placement how well does this pre-mentioned ammo incapacitate? The 5.56/223 rifle is what I know best and will be added to my home protection. Thanks for all thoughts.
    Its extremely effective as long as the bullet does not pass through any intervening barriers before hitting the target. The 75/77gr OTM is still king in terms of the unobstructed shot.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I never see any recommendations of the Barnes RRLP. It seems to me it would be devastating if barriers are not involved. It dosn't depend on rather random turning around during penetration to fragment violently and according to Barnes it will reliably fragment down to 1800fps as compared to 2300fps for TAP adding quite a bit of range. Any opinions?
    Last edited by DBR; 06-12-14 at 22:40.

Feedback Score
    I've used some of the 75g TAP in a 20" bull upper. IME, without a doubt the most accurate 223 ammunition I have ever shot. I have no doubt as long as the flight path is unobstructed, its going to be deadly 1 shot stuff.
    The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed – where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

Member:VCDL,GOA,NRA,NSSF,Oathkeepers