Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone else get burned out on exercise?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I took a week off this week to do my tendons and joints a favor. I try and take one off every 6-8 weeks and once a year, usually over vacation, I take two even though I know I am going to have Hell to pay the following week.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Lots of good advice in this thread so I'll just add some fluff. Whatever your doing, make sure you SQUAT, real squats. Not leg presses either.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    LOL! Biking for 105+ minutes a week is an awesome leg workout. My quads aren't like Tom Platz but they sure as hell ain't chicken legs either! I'm a little thicker than most bikers you'll see as I'm carting 230lbs around. Been doing it for almost 9 years now on a regular basis and it kills two birds with one stone......cardio and leg work. Guess it would be more akin to a push-up routine vs. bench pressing. You'll not have the raw power of the weight exercise but you will have strength and muscle endurance.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 06-22-14 at 08:58.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If your squatting properly your not using your quads, atleast not all that much. Its all posterior chain ie glutes, hamstrings, etc. Most people don't.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    If your squatting properly your not using your quads, atleast not all that much. Its all posterior chain ie glutes, hamstrings, etc. Most people don't.

Yeah, I don't get the ham work out of biking that I should, ay least not as much as quads (do get a little with the "pull" as my feet are held in place by a "cage" that allows for both a push and a pulling motion). Glutes either. Some leg curls wouldn't hurt. Now that I have a newer bike and have the foot "cage" to prevent the feet from slipping off the pedal I also am finding my calves getting hit too; they hold my feet on the pedals right at the ball of the foot as opposed to centering your foot.

***"Cage" isn't the right term. The proper one eludes me at the moment***

I know in the winter when I bike in my basement on the trainer I have a hard time walking up the stairs afterward as my legs (especially the quads) are smoked!

Your post got me curious and I Googled "bicycling legs" and looked at the images. Some of those Olympic-level, professional bikers have MONSTER legs. Kinda funny 'cause usually their upper bodies are waaayyy out of proportion!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I rest my case...lol

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ABNAK, for more hamstring involvement on a bike, you need to upgrade to clipless pedals and the shoes to go with.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic303 View Post
    ABNAK, for more hamstring involvement on a bike, you need to upgrade to clipless pedals and the shoes to go with.
    Yes, toe clips was the term I was looking for!

I went with the clips as I'm not fond of the idea of having my feet "locked" into the pedals. At least with the clips I can slide a foot out to the rear if I need to, but I'm leery of the locking shoe/pedal combo.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Yes, toe clips was the term I was looking for!

I went with the clips as I'm not fond of the idea of having my feet "locked" into the pedals. At least with the clips I can slide a foot out to the rear if I need to, but I'm leery of the locking shoe/pedal combo.
    Actuially...if your toe clips are strapped down tight like they are meant to be, then clipless pedals and shoes are far safer, offering better power transfer, and no-hands release by rotating the heel to the release point. Some pedals have more "float" (rotational movement allowed prior to release) to allow for knee/foot msalignments. Also in the event of a crash, they do release.

There is a short learning curve where you may pull an Artie Johnson (fall over from a stop), but you will learn fast to unclip before you fall. I prefer MTB shoes over road shoes for being able to walk in them but not walk on the cleats.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345