Thread: Arsenal SLR104

Feedback Score

Arsenal SLR104

Just looking for general information about the rifle. Thinking about jumping into the AK game and was looking for this as my first AK platform. Would this be a good start? I'm trying to figure out which direction to go in as I don't have a ton of knowledge about the platform. The only thing I am sure of is that I like the 5.45 cartridge over the 7.62x39

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Buying an arsenal goes hand in hand with the buy once, cry once saying. Just like AR's, ALL AK's are not made equally.

5.45 is less appealing to folks now that 7n6 is restricted from import, even that being said, commercial 5.45 is still cheaper than steel cased .223. Also there aren't many good self defense type cartridges. However, 5.45 is still a great round even in fmj form. Recoil, what recoil? Soft and flat shooting like .223/5.56. Quality surplus mags are still available at a reasonable price ($25 to $30).

They are quality factory assembled rifles out of Bulgaria. Very reliable and accurate. Factory chrome lined and hammer forged barrel, proper receiver, chrome bolt, proper carrier and bolt, and a folding stock.

My only complaint is the fire control group. But installing a Tapco G2 and new retainer is s breeze.
    Last edited by RMiller; 06-08-14 at 07:16.

Feedback Score
    So overall is ammo selection that hard to come across? I don't honestly plan to use this as a self defense gun. I run a suppressed short barrel for home defense. I would rather just buy a quality piece and be done with it instead of having a ton of issues. In your opinion is it better to have 5.45 or 7.62?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post

5.45 is less appealing to folks now that 7n6 is restricted from import, even that being said, commercial 5.45 is still cheaper than steel cased .223. Also there aren't many good self defense type cartridges. However, 5.45 is still a great round even in fmj form. Recoil, what recoil? Soft and flat shooting like .223/5.56. Quality surplus mags are still available at a reasonable price ($25 to $30).

Yes. A lot of people who haven't been paying full attention to the 7N6 idiocy, or are going on the rumor mill, seem to have gotten the impression that 5.45 itself has been banned altogether. I got into 5.45 back in '02 and at the time I don't believe there was any 7N6 surplus being imported yet and you would still be met with confused stares if you inquired about the cartridge in a gunshop "Don'cha mean 5.56?". Lacquered Wolf 60gr with the red sealant was the most commonly available stuff back then and I seem to recall people testing it and determining it had fairly similar ballistics to 7N6. I remember people slicing the bullets in half and finding that while they were not steel cored, they still had the air pocket in the nose like it's military counterpart.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    If you want to find ammo locally, don't mind recoil, and want $10 steel surplus mags get the slr107 (7.62x39)

If you want a copy of what the Russian military is currently issuing(for a reason I might add), can stand ordering ammo offline, and want an AK that shoots every bit as comfortably as an AR get the slr104 (5.45x39).

Ammo is in stock
    http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/545x39

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the insight to the rifle. Ordering the ammo isn't a huge deal for me. I don't really care as long as I can get decent ammo. And even a case is half the price of 5.56 so its not a big deal. I think the 104 may be the choice for me given the information provided. I have 308 and 300 Blackout..... I think that's all the .30 cal I need in my life.