Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffer Issue

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

Buffer Issue

Looking for input on why this buffer is damaged.....

This is an A5 -1 buffer

Rifle Specs:
    16' Carbine gas
    A5 receiver extension
    Vltor rifle spring

The gun runs 100% and eats everything I give it. ZERO malfunctions.
    Recoil is VERY light but tosses even PMC ammo into the shell deflector.
    My other rifles with heavier buffers basically spit the PMC out and it never hits the shell deflector.

My guess is that this buffer is too light.
    There are no other scratches on any other internal parts of the rifle.
    Back of the bolt carrier is clean
    Receiver extension is clean
    buffer retaining pin is clean and free of any dents.....

Untitled by corycop25, on Flickr

"Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That looks an awful lot like the Buffer retainer hole is out of proper position. When the Lower and upper are apart, does the buffer sit forward 1/16" or so like it's supposed to? And as you close the receivers does the back of the carrier push the buffer back and relieve the buffer retainer of any buffer tension?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Rifle in question on the right
    Colt on the left
    Buffer sits forward on both rifles but rifle in question does not push on buffer when closed.

"There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If the buffer is not pushed back upon closing the upper and/or there is a gap between the carrier and the buffer, the retainer is out of spec.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Other than replacing the lower, any ideas on a fix?
    It's not a rifle I am going to use for defensive purposes so I'm not overly concerned with it.
    The rifle is going to my summer home and will be shot 300-500 rounds a year.
    Rifle is crazy accurate

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

UPDATE

I contacted the manufacturer about the issue.
    I was told that about 20 lowers were sold before this issue was found.
    They are going to machine me a buffer that will fix the issue and send it to me.
    This upper and lower is a matched pair and the upper receiver lugs were drilled while sitting in the receiver so it's not worth replacing the lower.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I contacted the manufacturer about the issue.
    I was told that about 20 lowers were sold before this issue was found.
    They are going to machine me a buffer that will fix the issue and send it to me.
    This upper and lower is a matched pair and the upper receiver lugs were drilled while sitting in the receiver so it's not worth replacing the lower.
    I had the same issue. It's an easy fix. Just remove the buffer retaining pin and spring. Just remeber that you are playing Jack in the Box every rime you open up your AR. Not a big deal to solve. Or remove it and get a JP silent captured spring as well then you upgraded...
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    I had the same issue. It's an easy fix. Just remove the buffer retaining pin and spring. Just remeber that you are playing Jack in the Box every rime you open up your AR. Not a big deal to solve. Or remove it and get a JP silent captured spring as well then you upgraded...
    It's an A5 buffer so JP is a no go. They are going to machine the edges of a buffer for me so it will touch the carrier and I can keep the pin in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    It's an A5 buffer so JP is a no go. They are going to machine the edges of a buffer for me so it will touch the carrier and I can keep the pin in.
    Thats nice of them. They sell buffer extender deals on Brownells. It basically adheres to the buffer creating a longer buffer so it contacts the BCG like it should. It's just a plastic washer. The retaining pin is not needed. It's been documented to break off and cause issues with the trigger having that little piece of metal lodged in there. Good luck.
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Back when lowers other than Colt pretty much just sucked 3 gunners used to use the lower without a buffer retainer and spring. This was because the hole was milled in the wrong spot too far forward (not captured well by the receiver extension or too far back making the buffer run into the buffer retainer). I recently removed one for a guys 7.62x39mm AK mag lower for the same reason. It's just makes it harder to take apart the upper and lower because you have to control the buffer which will want to come out of the lower. The buffer retainers only job is to capture the buffer when the upper is removed.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast