Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5x45 what is every 1 doing ?????

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    I love that everyone is fine to give up on the caliber, when it's still about 5¢ cheaper a round to shoot commercial 5.45 than 5.56... Fifty bucks per thousand is a price difference, and one that isn't insignificant. Is there a dramatic advantage to building a 5.45 rifle like there used to be? Not as much, but over 10K rounds (one barrel) you're talking about saving the price of buying the replacement barrel twice.

Keep fleeing the caliber, it keeps prices down for the rest of us that are good at math.
    Really now?

Where is this magical 19 cent 5.45 ammo you speak of?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Where is this magical 19 cent 5.45 ammo you speak of?
    Where in my comment did you see 19¢ a round. I said, FIVE CENTS cheaper a round. Unless you've got a source that's truly amazing, 30¢ a round is the cheapest 5.56 that I've been able to find with any regularity, and <25¢ a round 5.45 is easy to find at a retail level. Sure, you can spend all night scouring the internet to shave a penny here or there (promptly eaten by shipping costs anyway) on some COM-BLOC steel .223, but based upon an already built rifle there is no need to go abandoning a caliber. Prices for 5.45 will remain lower and probably head in the right direction as demand lowers with people jumping ship anyway. But hey, to each their own. Please, DON'T BUY 5.45. It keeps it on the shelf for me.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Where in my comment did you see 19¢ a round. I said, FIVE CENTS cheaper a round. Unless you've got a source that's truly amazing, 30¢ a round is the cheapest 5.56 that I've been able to find with any regularity, and <25¢ a round 5.45 is easy to find at a retail level. Sure, you can spend all night scouring the internet to shave a penny here or there (promptly eaten by shipping costs anyway) on some COM-BLOC steel .223, but based upon an already built rifle there is no need to go abandoning a caliber. Prices for 5.45 will remain lower and probably head in the right direction as demand lowers with people jumping ship anyway. But hey, to each their own. Please, DON'T BUY 5.45. It keeps it on the shelf for me.
    Backpedal much? I've seen 25 cent/rd .223 lately, and vicious cb has apparently seen it for 24 cents/rd. All the 5.45 is combloc steelcased ammo, so calling the cheap .223 that is pot meet kettle to the extreme. It's cool if you like 5.45, but some of us fail to see a continuing price advantage with it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I didn't backpedal at all. I said "5.56" and meant 5.56. If you think the two (5.56 and .223) are the same, you've missed out on the last four years you've spent on the site.

I said "based upon an already built rifle,' as people are jumping on the "sell it off and buy something else" bandwagon. Quite frankly, the loss in value of selling it second hand is a terrible plan to simply have to buy another bolt and barrel, if not an entire rifle. Do you disagree with the assessment, or not?

Honestly, is the pissing contest necessary here anyway? If you think I am crazy for sticking with a 5.45 rifle then think it. Doesn't make my decision any less relevant to me.
    Last edited by _Stormin_; 06-26-14 at 18:40.

Feedback Score
    Am with Stormin, until all commercial, relatively cheap; 5.45 dries up why jump ship if you all ready have a 5.45 rifle in hand.

I have enjoyed it immensely in the AR platform, when this barrel goes south I would like to find a mid-length barrel if the the ammo is still cheaper then 5.56.

If it is no longer cost effective then I can change it to a different caliber.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I didn't backpedal at all. I said "5.56" and meant 5.56. If you think the two (5.56 and .223) are the same, you've missed out on the last four years you've spent on the site.
    Yes, I'm well aware of what true 5.56 is. However, I don't believe that someone shooting 5.45 for the cost is going to actually buy and shoot true 5.56 for the same target practice or training that they were using the 5.45 for.

Incidentally, where are you finding true military-spec 5.56 ammo (Federal XM193, XM855, or Winchester Q3131) "with any regularity" for just 30 cents/rd?

I said "based upon an already built rifle,' as people are jumping on the "sell it off and buy something else" bandwagon. Quite frankly, the loss in value of selling it second hand is a terrible plan to simply have to buy another bolt and barrel, if not an entire rifle. Do you disagree with the assessment, or not?
    I don't own a 5.45 so I'm not looking to sell one. I do note that AIM Surplus recently put all their 5.45 parts on clearance sale, which suggests to me that they think its days are numbered. For someone who already owns one you might as well keep shooting it til it wears out or the ammo supply ends. I was talking about why I wouldn't jump into that caliber today.

Honestly, is the pissing contest necessary here anyway? If you think I am crazy for sticking with a 5.45 rifle then think it. Doesn't make my decision any less relevant to me.
    I don't much like pissing contests but your posts follow a pattern I've seen a lot on forums in the last 6-8 months of someone coming into a discussion, telling most or all of the people who've posted that they're wrong, without justification for that claim, and then changing the meaning of their statements when they get called on it, or just hurling insults (like yours about 223 vs. 5.56). I think this pattern follows a rise in the general anger level / contentiousness of society, and is probably coming from people who are unhappy about something unrelated, so instead of kicking the dog they go online to push things around. But I also think that acquiescing when people do this makes it worse. So I push back.

As I said above, I don't think someone who has a rifle in that caliber is crazy for shooting it until either ammo dries up or the rifle wears out. My first post here was specifically agreeing with the statement "If your not vested skip it, is the mentality now."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    PM'd you. I wasn't kidding about being tired of the pissing contest, so I will take it direct.

Feedback Score
    I plan on shooting out the barrel I have then re-evaluating based on ammunition prices. I'm curious what the price will be when the market for this cartridge has stabilized a little more.

Feedback Score
    I know this thread is a few months old, but figured I'd share a little news. I just picked up a case of 7N6 for .21 per round shipped. If we're stuck with the ban I'm hoping somebody picks up production. I've recently sold an Adams Arms upper after having built a new DI 5.45 with a Ballistic Advantage earlier this year. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up another case of 7N6 for around the same price before it all dries up.

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Deleted
    Last edited by uffdaphil; 09-18-14 at 21:26.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12