Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expired CAT/ E bandage?

Feedback Score

Expired CAT/ E bandage?

So I am going through my camping/hiking bag bag today. Checking my gear for upcoming trip, making sure all is well. I get to my first aid pouch and everything is GTG except two items....

My CAT tourniquet and "The Emergency Bandage" both have expired JAN 2014...

My questions,
    1. Does the CAT really expire? Or is it still GTG for many more years? and what on it would expire?

2. The Emergency Bandage, I know the expiration is most likely the sterility, (but if package is un-opened does sterility go bad?) but other then that would the bandage still be useful in controlling blood loss?

And yes out camping/hiking a bad fall, knife/hatchet mishap could warrant the needs for these two items.

Just wanna add.... I am certified in Healthcare provider CPR/First aid, not too mention my military training in these items.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Best practice: stock and use products that are are sterile, in original intact packaging, stored according to manufacturer guidelines, inspected regularly, and are within expiration/guarantee dates.

Practical: check for clean, intact packaging, and review storage/carry conditions to determine service life. If it contains some sort of pharm or degradable components (gels/fluids, adhesives, fragility), consider that as well.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Thanks

I check my hiking stuff usually in the beginning of summer, i will start inspecting more often. Stuff is still in original packages, the bag is kept in my closet in my room, average 70 degrees year round. Except for when I take it out on trips.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The date on a CAT is an expiration date? I thought it was a date of manufacture. The ones I ordered direct fro NA Rescue came with the month prior to my order stamped on them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Concerning CAT,
    Item 2. on the first page refers to date of manufacture.
    Item 7. on the last page describes storage requirements.

http://www.naemt.org/Libraries/PHTLS...%20100122.sflb

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As long as its stored in a dry place and is not exposed to opposite ends of the temp scale/direct sunlight and the package is unopened/seal not broken it is good to go.

The manufacturers have to put an expiration date on them.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Best practice: stock and use products that are are sterile, in original intact packaging, stored according to manufacturer guidelines, inspected regularly, and are within expiration/guarantee dates.

Practical: check for clean, intact packaging, and review storage/carry conditions to determine service life. If it contains some sort of pharm or degradable components (gels/fluids, adhesives, fragility), consider that as well.
    This. When I teach or build kits for people (which I rarely do any more), I give a card that is a checklist for expired items. Fore most people, the first aid stuff is not going to matter if it is expired.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Basically, heat and UV exposure to the CAT may cause the plastic to become weak and obviously rendering the CAT ineffective if any of the plastic breaks.
    I keep my CAT attached to my vest under my shirt so it essentially never sees the elements. If you wear a CAT on your outer garments exposed to the elements, I would replace it close to the exp. date.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    double tap
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    E-mail reply from NA Rescue,

Thank you for contacting us.

The date printed on the C-A-Tourniquet is the date of manufacturer. There technically is no expiry date on the CAT though it is built for 10-years with proper storage but a pre-mission inspection should be performed to make sure it is good to go.

Storage is recommended inside of a kit, pouch or tourniquet holder, not rubber banded to the exterior uniform.

If you have any further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
    Teresa Ulmer
    Manager, Customer Services
    North American Rescue
    35 Tedwall Ct.
    Greer, SC 29650
    www.narescue.com
    Tel# 864-675-9800 ext. 207
    Direct # 864-968-4086
    Fax# 864-675-9880

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast