Thread: M&P 40c

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

M&P 40c

I just picked up my M&P 40c and got to put 150 rounds through it tonight. Cool little piece. I like the interchangeable backstraps. After some dry firing to tame El Snatcho, I was able to shoot 3 inch groups at 15 yards no prob. Maybe it's just my imagination, but this gun seems to be more accurate than my old G26. So far I am impressed. The only complaint is the recoil combined with the corner of the grip did cause a small hot spot that would have turned into a blister had I fired a few more rounds. BUT thats not the 1st gun I've owned to do that. All in all I'm very happy .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have also noticed a marked difference in the shootability of the M&P compacts and the smallest Glock pistols. My 9C is MUCH easier to shoot well than my G26.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I traded my G27 for a M&P40c and have not looked back.

I really liked the Glock but I shoot the M&P better.
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I really liked my G26. I was absolutely astounded at a handgun class when I was able to hit a 12" steel target with the 26 from 50 yards. But after shooting 25 rounds from the 25 yard line lastnight and keeping them all in a 6"x8" area, I have no doubt that I could do it with my M&P. Not to take anything away from Glock, I am convinced it is an excellent weapon. I also noticed that with the smallest backstrap the M&P fits my hand much better. The .40 has noticeably more recoil than the 9mm Glock. But since our duty weapons are .40 and I get ammo free, it seemed logical to get the 40C.

Feedback Score
    I shot my M&P 40c for the 2nd time today. I like the little pistol, and it does wear a blister on my finger as well. Same as the full size does. I had a problem today though. While taking slow shots, the gun wouldn't go all the way in to battery. It would chamber a round, but the slide would be slightly out of battery. When I would pull the trigger, the hammer would fall and I would hear a click and the slide would fall into proper position. I took the weapon apart, cleaned it, and lubed it till it was wet and tried again. Same thing. Could I be "limp wristing" it? During rapid fire, it would work fine. But if I slowed down it would have issues.... I need to check out the larger palm swells and see if its operator issues.....

I think its something I'm doing. I think its a fantastic gun.

ToddG Guest
    As a general rule, I think "limp wristing" is a bugaboo gun companies use to blame the shooter when the gun doesn't work right.

However, if you're only experiencing this problem when shooting slowly, obviously you are part of the problem. Do you change your grip when shooting bullseye? Are you letting the gun recoil so freely that you truly are countering the slide's momentum?

I'm assuming it's the same ammo in both cases. What ammo are you shooting?

How many rounds total through the gun?

Have you tried shooting fast since the problem occurred? In other words, do you know it only happens when shooting slow?

Feedback Score
    I too have sold my Glocks ever since discovering the M&Ps

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    As a general rule, I think "limp wristing" is a bugaboo gun companies use to blame the shooter when the gun doesn't work right.

However, if you're only experiencing this problem when shooting slowly, obviously you are part of the problem. Do you change your grip when shooting bullseye? Are you letting the gun recoil so freely that you truly are countering the slide's momentum?

I'm assuming it's the same ammo in both cases. What ammo are you shooting?

How many rounds total through the gun?

Have you tried shooting fast since the problem occurred? In other words, do you know it only happens when shooting slow?
    I think the total round count is about 300. It didn't happen when I did rapid fire, but did when I did slow fire. I tried several things, and from what I can tell, I think my grip is changing some. I'm going to try the larger palm swell next time with the gun and see if that solves the problem. I have very little trigger time with this gun. I have between 2000 and 2500 in my full size. Ammo was blaser brass. I know, dirty, but cheap. Plus, my dept uses it for practice ammo and has done well in the past for me. I'll give another brand a try next time. But I'm sure I was just not griping the gun properly. I had just done a run and shoot drill and was a little tired....It was most likely me, not the gun or ammo.

ToddG Guest
    If it continues to happen only during slow fire, then it's got to be something shooter-induced. However, that doesn't mean everything is OK with the gun. Once you have another 200-300 rounds through it, if the problem is still occurring, have an instructor check your grip to make sure you're not doing something to impede the slide.

But the gun should work properly even if your grip isn't perfect, as long as you're not either contacting the slide (slowing it down) or jerking the gun up or backwards as you pull the trigger (which interrupts the slide's motion).