Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'best' AR pistol lower receiver?

Feedback Score

'best' AR pistol lower receiver?

Looks smart to do one while I wait for my sbr form 1's to process ,and then keep it for travel

Is there a high quality pistol forged lower? Do people use billet and have them mark it as "pistol"?

* does the sig brace work fine with the vltor a5?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    Looks smart to do one while I wait for my sbr form 1's to process ,and then keep it for travel

Is there a high quality pistol forged lower? Do people use billet and have them mark it as "pistol"?

* does the sig brace work fine with the vltor a5?
    Just buy the lower you want. Any virgin lower can be built into an AR pistol.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWood View Post
    Just buy the lower you want. Any virgin lower can be built into an AR pistol.
    +1

no reason to get a super premium lower for a pistol build, they are all pretty much the same. I used a spikes for mine.

Feedback Score
    It seems like it would really help prevent confusion if it was a marked 'pistol' lower

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If it were a for a SBR, the last thing I would want is a lower marked "pistol"

Buy a BCM lower from Grant, and it takes all the guessing and surprises out of it.

Your lower would be in spec and ready to go the first time, remember a Form 1 is gonna have your name engraved, you'll be married to it for life...you want it right the first time.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I used the Spikes pistol lower (complete-) also..GTG...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It seems like it would really help prevent confusion if it was a marked 'pistol' lower
    Then you don't really understand how the process works.

Feedback Score
    Actually it seems very obvious , when you are potentially questioned about your normally illegal sbr, and you have to explain that it is actually a pistol, it will be extremely helpful to have the receiver labeled as a pistol

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You assume that anyone who might question you actually knows the law. Having "pistol" on the lower doesn't define what it is.

If you buy a complete pistol, it is recorded as a pistol on the 4473. A stripped lower receiver, or a lower receiver assebly, is transferred as "other" on the 4473 as it is neither a pistol or a rifle. Unless you have a state registry requiring lowers to be registered as pistols ( I am told that some states do), it will not be recorded anywhere as a rifle or pistol.

You may build it as either and how you build it defines it. Build it out as a rifle first, and it is illegal to ever put a barrel less than 16" on it without going the SBR route. Build it as a pistol first, and you may go between pistol and rifle configuration (including a stock and > 16' barrel) at will. The laws make no sense, but they are laws.

By all means mark your lower up with "pistol" if you think it will help.
    Last edited by DWood; 06-16-14 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    True, people may mix them up with their rifles if they don't say "pistol" on them.

/sarc

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast