Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'best' AR pistol lower receiver?

Feedback Score
    "You assume that anyone who might question you actually knows the law. Having "pistol" on the lower doesn't define what it is."

Actually, the opposite.

The reason people are looking at the sig brace with interest is because it allows you to have a sbr while technically not having one. Many of the people here were surprised by the atf decision.

So, when someone unfamiliar with the ruling sees a person with a normally illegal sbr, having the weapon or yourself detained is a very realistic possibility.

Having it marked as a pistol, and carrying a copy of the atf ruling is good judgment, especially considering the lack of knowledge with these specialized issues by law enforcement.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Marking a lower with "pistol" does not classify the lower as a pistol. The letter below is all you need to verify the BATFE's approval that your pistol build is legal, as long as you bought it as a lower that was never built first as a rifle. Carry a receipt for the virgin lower if you feel conservative.

Mark your lower as you see fit, but it doesn't mean shit, legally.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0qy...Ux/edit?hl=en#

PS Please stop referring to an AR pistol with an approved brace as an SBR.
    Last edited by DWood; 06-16-14 at 13:22.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

'best' AR pistol lower receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post

Having it marked as a pistol, and carrying a copy of the atf ruling is good judgment, especially considering the lack of knowledge with these specialized issues by law enforcement.
    Or just a standard lower will be fine with te paperwork, assuming that you get that 1 Leo who know what to look for and wants to act as a ATF and pulls out a measuring tape to measure barrel lengths....

But i have never been questioned on my rifles

I doubt you will either

read these

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ange-paperwork

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in.../t-127748.html

Or get a Lower marked Unicorn. Then you could argue that you lower isn't a pistol or SBR it's a unicorn, and unicorns aren't regulate by the nfa act therefore your unicorn is legal. :sarcasm:
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 06-16-14 at 14:57. Reason: adding link

Feedback Score
    Or I should stick with asking people that have knowledge or experience regarding how law enforcement and reality work

Also, are you aware that a state allowing a firearm because it is licensed under the NFA is very different than a state allowing a firearm that is outside of the NFA?

Feedback Score
    Or I should stick with asking people that have knowledge or experience regarding how law enforcement and reality work

Also, are you aware that a state allowing a firearm because it is licensed under the NFA is very different than a state allowing a firearm that is outside of the NFA?
    Dude, the answers you've received thus far have been factual, despite the fact they've had a little fun at your expense. Don't get all worked up.

Your second statement there basically boils down to "you're aware that NFA and nonNFA weapons are different, right?"...why yes, yes we are...but no one brought NFA law into this except to ask you to stop calling a Sig Braced pistol an SBR...because it's not.

I'm not going to pretend to know how every LEO will react to your short weapon of mass destruction, but ATF guidelines don't specify you have to stamp pistol or rifle or sbr or unicorn on your lower...if your state does, then do it.

What is your home state?

essayons
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick." -Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, 26th US President
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -Gen. James Mattis, USMC (Ret.)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

'best' AR pistol lower receiver?

1st most Leo's don't know what the NFA states or what constitutes a NFA item. Sad but true.

2nd as others have stated it doesn't matter what a lower is marked as, most will only see a assault weapon (yes, even Leo's) as they are portrayed in the media. pistol marked lower is no different from a lower from any other lower. Most people see a AR and have no idea it can have a pistol classification, Or a AK for that matter, or have a Glock SBR'd making a G19 a rifle. They just know what a Glock, AR15 or a AK47 is but not the different variations of them.

3rd a weapon with the SIG arm brace to a person who isn't aware of the in's and out's of the NFA, or familiar with the NFA ruling will ever see a AR pistol with a arm brace and think "that's obviously a pistol". Paperwork or not it's hard to change the opinion of a person about anything, they'll just see a AR15

4th if you read through the links I posted to the NFA paperwork threads few to none will ever ask for paperwork for anything. I posted them to show you even if you have paperwork verifying it's a pistol few will ever ask for it.

5th I am aware of the difference of a NFA state and a non NFA state, but as you first post ask you say you plan on a form 1, there by giving everyone the impression you live in a NFA friendly state.
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 06-17-14 at 00:36. Reason: adding info

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    1. A legally built AR pistol is not an NFA regulated item. It is a pistol, even with the brace, not a "normally illegal SBR".
    2. The clarification of what makes a legally built AR pistol is in the BATFE letter I posted.
    3. Anyone who would question the legality of your AR15 would have to either know, or be able to interpret, the definition stated in the letter.
    4. Engraving pistol "to avoid confusion", like it will magically make an uneducated person understand is folly. Refer back to #3. Is it necessary to engrave "AR15" on the receiver too, in case someone is confused?
    5. "Pistol" is not required by law, does not explain the law, and may actually cause confusion for those who want to legally put a rifle upper and stock on their legally built pistol.
    Last edited by DWood; 06-17-14 at 12:42.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Or I should stick with asking people that have knowledge or experience regarding how law enforcement and reality work...
    Buy a pistol receiver extension that is already marked "PISTOL" and press on.

Can you cite any actual incidents where having a lower marked "PISTOL" would have saved it's possessor from legal troubles?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    First its a new issue, quite different than the appearance of the unusual pistols with the buffer tubes sticking out the back, and legally it wont make a difference
    in the long run.

Where it likely could make a difference, and im basing this on a lot of LE experience, is dealing with many cops who often make mistakes interpreting
    strait forward laws (DV vs community property, assault, etc.....ive seen a lot of crazy/bad arrests), is when/if a cop is making the decision to detain you or your weapon.
    And since this wont be an approved NFA item, that means it will not have that umbrella and will instead be evaluated under each state's laws.

My educated estimate is that having it marked pistol would reduce that chance by about 30%. Combine that with a copy of the ruling in your case and you are
    probably at about 50% less likely.

But I plan ahead, I carry a copy of the LEO safety act with me when I travel.

It is a smart move, anyone denying that just doesnt know how law enforcement works.

*it slightly reminds me of the gun trust issue, getting a trust from online or the gun store for $50 will probably go through and get approved, but its issues down the
    line, death, etc, etc, that make a reasonably priced gun trust a smart choice.

People either plan ahead or they dont.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    As far as the best lower for a receiver is concerned, so long as it's made by a trusted company you are good to go. By all means, engrave "pistol" on and drive on. It's hard to put a price on being content... Just remember, it's much harder to remove an engraving than actually engraving one. Don't sell yourself short in the long run.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast