Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: opscore fast maritime vs. crye precision airframe

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

opscore fast maritime vs. crye precision airframe

does anyone have experience with both these helmets?

by raw technical specs it seems that the airframe is lighter than the fast (even with the maritime's revised materials and cut).

the crye seems to cover more and yet maintain less weight, yet the special operations community is outfitted almost exclusively in opscore. in fact i have never seen an airframe "in the wild" picture.

what gives?

i have tried on an airframe and it fit me extremely well. very comfortable and surprisingly light. i have not had a chance to try out the opscore fast, but i have tried on a an opscore bump. i realize opscore has an occ dialer system and i know that makes a huge difference in athletic market helmets.

comments?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    so this question isn't going to get answered...

to update, I did find some pictures of the crye airframe in the wild. in one of the photos the person donned with the crye airframe has a glock with a tan magazine, some sort of mag funnel, safariland mrds holster and a surefire devgru switch. good enough for me.
    Last edited by trinydex; 07-08-14 at 14:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    so this question isn't going to get answered...

to update, I did find some pictures of the crye airframe in the wild. in one of the photos the person donned with the crye airframe has a glock with a tan magazine, some sort of mag funnel, safariland mrds holster and a surefire devgru switch. good enough for me.
    The Glock with a tan mag would lead me to believe he was Delta. So far the only picture I've seen of an airframe "in the wild" was on a Delta operator as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrgordo
    O.K....here's what I know - and why my Unit went to the OPS Core over the Air Frame after evaluating both.

• There is an Army Unit who has adopted the Air Frame. I won't disclose which here - SO DON'T ****ING ASK ME!!!!!
    • The are more DOD Units who have adopted the Ops Core for the same reason we adopted the OPS Core - AFSOC/NAVSPECWAR
    • Although ballistic profiles for both are based on MICH/ACH requirements, the Air Frame has had issues with the ATEC "crush test" - again...DON'T ASK ME ABOUT THIS ON THIS FORUM!!!
    • Both have ballistic saves in Theater
    • However, the OPS Core has better 360 degree stand off minimizing Back Face Deformation (BFD) so theoretically TBI may be reduced as well as contact issues from BFD. In particular at the nape of the neck where the medulla is.
    • NO - the Air Frame helmet cover WILL NOT fit the OPS Core. However, we have asked OPS Core to team with Crye to design the same spec cover for our OPS Core - THEY HAVE. We will receive the first 5 this week from Crye. I don't know when OPS Core will make those available as a COTS item - SO DON'T ASK ME. I recommend you contact OPS Core directly for status...

Bottom line for us...the OPS Core allowed us a better platform for all situations, with easy transition/blend in between the Units we work with, with comparable/exactly the same ballistic protection/coverage as the MICH/ACH, with a more stable helmet system while wearing NODS. So our FORCMOD committee recommended transition to the OPS Core.
    Info from Lightfighter circa mid-2011. Also, people have stated that the OpsCore is a more stable platform for NODs than the AirFrames, although with the Team Wendy Cam-Fit liners, the difference has been significantly reduced.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have fairly limited experience with the OPS Core, but I own the Airframe. The Airframe was more comfortable in my size (through I prefer the Team Wendy padding spam solution of holding it in place), and critically for me in this desert climate (since this gets used as much as a two-wheel helmet as anything else, though it is my primary NOD hanger ) it was cooler to wear.

The sticker kits will move over with some creativit, I'd get the plastic rails just because they're useful (mine sans helmet rails ends up being odd looking, but the only accessory I would consider running on them is a PTec Switch for now anyway).

Between the two the padding is what makes the Airframe a worthwhile helmet, the other tradeoff is the basic size (the front half is basically like having an inch thick over the top headset on that will catch on things in tight overhead spaces). For me that added bulk isn't a major loss for the bonus cooling, especially since I drag helmets across all sorts of things (and this is one of two helmets I own which I haven't destroyed - I truly have a gift for wrecking helmets), but that was the most prominent difference between them to me. The OCC-Dial setup actually worked really well for me, but once I got the padding arrangement dialed the airframe ran how I wanted it was a wash. I would agree that the OPS-Core was better as a pure NOD platform, but coming from a USMC LWH, anything aftermarket was basically fabulous, so I chose based just on that magical cooling factor. Finally, if you find yourself wanting to run goggles wrapped around over to the back, the odd shaped step isn't as helpful as one would think; but running a mesh cover, the trap straps, or the protec-addon keepers for that solves that issue.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    very useful posts. thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I want to do a follow up on this. I don't have an opscore helmet, but I did end up purchasing a crye airframe.

I can't imagine using an inferior helmet. ergonomically, this helmet is extremely comfortable with just a basic factory pad set. I have a fairly small head but the s/m size has worked out very well. the helmet fits tight without causing any head pain, there is a lot of occipital lobe support due to the clamshell rear of the helmet. the helmet is light and using it is fairly nimble, although once you start adding ear pro and lights the weight you save starts to become moot.

I purchased the helmet from tnvc and it is outfitted with the arc rails and an opscore skeletonized nvg mount bracket. assembly of the pieces is very basic.

for those who are looking to purchase a crye airframe BE AWARE:

if you are left handed, purchase the left eye dominant chin strap. I believe this is the same unit as the opscore ach H harness chin strap, which can be purchased online from various helmet distributors. the reason you need to do this is because the buckle will get in the way of your cheekweld. I really wish opscore had used some sort of fold around Velcro strap attachment system instead, this would alleviate the problem of a hard buckle causing slipping on a stock or buffer tube when mounting a long gun.

if you are going to use rail mounted goggles, the crye airframe arc rails are at a disadvantage to the opscore arc rails. the opscore arc rails have rail space all the way to the rear of the helmet. the airframe version rails LACK this rear rail space. when you run goggles you need them to be pulled straight back behind your head (around your ear pro if need be). if you mount the goggles up on the side rails, the goggles (especially low profile goggles) will pull your face upward and cause problems. I use the smith boogie regulators, the boogie regulators can be purchased with an arc rail mounting package, however these clips will not serve well on a crye airframe.

https://tnvc.com/shop/images/39712/3...gle_Clamps.jpg

these clips force you to use the side rails which will pull the goggle up your face. also there is precious little rail space on those side rails because there is no rear rail space. if you use rail mounted ear pro and add a helmet mounted light, the side rails are full. nothing else that requires symmetrical mounting can be added!

because i did not wish for the goggles to be permanently knotted to the helmet rails, I sought a quick disconnect solution. the solution I found was rather embarrassing. I searched high and low for a genuine version of these airframe specific goggle clips. however it appears they're only available from the airsoft knockoff manufacturer fma.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/5...ips-b-font.jpg
    http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/2...-FAST-font.jpg

they clip into the helmet rail and the goggles can be knotted to the clips.

another alternative is to you small carabiners to hook the bungee line to the rail's hook point

I have a set of peltor swat tac 2 ear pro attached to the siderails. this is easily accomplished by purchasing the airframes specific plastic arc rail adapters, which screw into the peltor comptac wire side adapters.

https://tnvc.com/shop/crye-precision...r-adapter-set/
    https://tnvc.com/shop/team-wendy-exf...omtac-adapter/

there is a huge advantage to having the ears attached the helmet. there is an even bigger advantage to having the goggles attached to the helmet.

one last note, if you are afraid of the single lens low profile goggles fogging, revision makes goggle wipes that use some sort of anti fogging powder, I keep some on hand in the helmet bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJKHKPWP5Q8

here is a demonstration of the wipes and how they work.
    Last edited by trinydex; 12-29-14 at 23:02.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    The weight listed on the AF is just for the shell and harness and pads. This does not include the shroud and rails. My size Large AF with cover and skeleton shroud and rails came in at 3 lbs total.

Ops-Core's weight is for the whole system.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I sold mine because in combination with the shell shape/my head shape and padding, the helmet did not feel comfortable nor was stability that great.

I tried the new ops-core Lux liner and worm dial and I was a fan so I will be getting a ops-core.
    Last edited by patriot_man; 01-02-15 at 20:12.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot_man View Post
    The weight listed on the AF is just for the shell and harness and pads. This does not include the shroud and rails. My size Large AF with cover and skeleton shroud and rails came in at 3 lbs total.

Ops-Core's weight is for the whole system.
    what is the weight of the rail and the shroud alone?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast