Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: interesting occurance at the ER

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    non-autos can also open in pockets. i have an older strider-buck 880 (tarani) folder which opened partially in my pocket. the detent in the blade was too shallow; not deep enough to hold the blade securely in the closed position. i got a nice cut when i reached down inside my pocket to grab it, and my fingers ended up sandwiched between the cutting edge and the handle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Holster View Post
    My auto opener (without a safety lock), opened inadvertently in my pocket once, I rarely carry it anymore for that reason.
    Seems like a kydex knife holder or sleeve would be just the ticket if it wasn't an Infidel type that opened from the front. Does anyone know of such a creature?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The infidel I bought from a guy was also a play and **** around with victim also. He stabbed himself by inserting it against his leg and then seeing if it would penetrate.
    Guy is a 75th Ranger member also.
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    HIPAA only applies if patient identification data is present.

My Infidel doesn't have a safety, nor do any of my other automatics. Anyway, I've kind of trended toward assisted openers over the last few years.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post

By the time I laid her down
    A non-homo would have told us how big her titties were.

You need to come back to Utah this fall so I can talk to you.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    A non-homo would have told us how big her titties were.

You need to come back to Utah this fall so I can talk to you.
    Hah!

You're right, looking forward to coming out again.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    HIPAA only stops you from releasing information about the pt. The incident is all up for sharing though.

Best way to differentiate between an arterial bleed and vein bleeds, art bleeds are bright right, and squirt. Vein bleeds, dark and they ooze.

Had a guy a couple shifts ago hack into his L forearm with a chainsaw. Hunks of meat hanging out. This was an art bleed. However, our local protocol is slow to embrace changes, and has a tq listed as the last step of bleeding control, still using the pressure, elevate, cold packs, and pressure points before a TQ. I simply tq'd it, and put on a pressure dressing, sighting that the dressing wouldn't control the bleeding and a tq was needed. It's all in documentation.

Anyways, he bought himself a helicopter ride to a level 1 trauma center.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Most artery transsections will stop bleeding on their own. The artery retracts and circumferentially contracts due to the robust muscle layer that arteries have. No such layer in veins and they tend to be more troublesome, especially in a traumatic or guillotine amputation. A partial arterial transsection is often something to be feared, however. The remaining attachments can hold the artery open, preventing it from contracting. Direct pressure or tourniquet are good approaches if possible. In many ways, small calilber gunshot wounds to the extremities worry me more than large caliber. Not that long ago I saw a kid with a self-inflicted wound to the abdomen from a .22 pistol. It partially transsected his iliac artery. He lived, but it was a close call.

Feedback Score
    Years ago my bud would moonlight in an ER . I was able to hang out and observe the strange things. Night time was the most interesting.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Night time was the most interesting.
    Always.

Gunshot wounds are always dramatic, but penetrating trauma is not that common in most ERs. Foreign bodies in the rectum, however....those stories are universal and never get old.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast