Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rra 223/5.56 wylde?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The material used on RRA barrels is okay. The problem is, they don't always have good control when cutting their chambers
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Im building this riffle for 300 meters max. I may have jumped the gun in purchasing this match barrel. Ill find someone that has a use for it and trade for a standard gove profile one. Thanks for all the input from everyone

Feedback Score
    Definitely spend a little more on the barrel, that is one of the parts I never skimp on.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by #1gunna89 View Post
    Im building this riffle for 300 meters max. I may have jumped the gun in purchasing this match barrel. Ill find someone that has a use for it and trade for a standard gove profile one. Thanks for all the input from everyone
    It's not that you wound up that far afield, without having extensive information on what RRA tends to put out, everything else on paper made sense for what you wanted (1:8 SS barrel with a 'match' chamber should be the ideal answer for having a precise rifle out to 600m). It's just that RRA is known for making relatively bad examples of what otherwise should be awesome, and basically get rewarded for it because few buyers actually run enough rounds through for it to matter.

The other part is that to sell match barrel hardware to people who haven't exceeded the capability of what a boring bone stock chrome lined barrel can do is remarkably easy; the bigger part of the accuracy equation is really the ammunition; and I'd put one of the Ex Lightweight BCM barrels with 77gr handloads and a good trigger as a far more accurate weapon system than anything RRA produces, and the primary objective of that setup is being light, portable, and reliable, not necessarily tack driving.
    Since you mentioned the concern for firing quickly, that's the reason people are suggesting looking elsewhere - the Wylde chamber is basically the minimal engineering route to take a slightly lame barrel and make it put out slightly tighter groups without improving the tolerances elsewhere by tightening the chamber - and the reason this is bad because when firing quickly (putting heat into the barrel) it expands and not only increases the OD, but also while expanding the barrel metal makes the chamber ID gets smaller and then the gun stops being able to extract spent cases.

Spending a bit more gets so much more performance on numerous aspects of barrel, if you can find somebody who wants a good barrel for a hobby gun, you can probably find something that suits your needs a bit better.
    Last edited by TehLlama; 06-26-14 at 15:38.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you for taking the time to share that bit of info. That is a great bit that I will kep in mind on tje next purchase

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by #1gunna89 View Post
    If im not mistaken rra uses wilson for these wylde barrels?
    Yes, Wilson... not to be confused with Wilson Combat, which are a huge step up.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Sionics.

Game over.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    It's not that you wound up that far afield, without having extensive information on what RRA tends to put out, everything else on paper made sense for what you wanted (1:8 SS barrel with a 'match' chamber should be the ideal answer for having a precise rifle out to 600m). It's just that RRA is known for making relatively bad examples of what otherwise should be awesome, and basically get rewarded for it because few buyers actually run enough rounds through for it to matter.

The other part is that to sell match barrel hardware to people who haven't exceeded the capability of what a boring bone stock chrome lined barrel can do is remarkably easy; the bigger part of the accuracy equation is really the ammunition; and I'd put one of the Ex Lightweight BCM barrels with 77gr handloads and a good trigger as a far more accurate weapon system than anything RRA produces, and the primary objective of that setup is being light, portable, and reliable, not necessarily tack driving.
    Since you mentioned the concern for firing quickly, that's the reason people are suggesting looking elsewhere - the Wylde chamber is basically the minimal engineering route to take a slightly lame barrel and make it put out slightly tighter groups without improving the tolerances elsewhere by tightening the chamber - and the reason this is bad because when firing quickly (putting heat into the barrel) it expands and not only increases the OD, but also while expanding the barrel metal makes the chamber ID gets smaller and then the gun stops being able to extract spent cases.

Spending a bit more gets so much more performance on numerous aspects of barrel, if you can find somebody who wants a good barrel for a hobby gun, you can probably find something that suits your needs a bit better.
    I do not understand how it may be that "expanding the barrel metal makes the chamber ID get smaller."
    If I understood my physics back in college both the OD and the ID of a metal pipe increase with temperature.

tube002.gif

A metal pipe does not inflate like an inner tube because heat is added. It expands everywhere.

Edit:
    I have little experience with RRA barrels and no opinion about them.
    Last edited by catargadelendaest; 06-27-14 at 08:35. Reason: clarification

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    .....the Wylde chamber is basically the minimal engineering route to take a slightly lame barrel and make it put out slightly tighter groups without improving the tolerances elsewhere by tightening the chamber - and the reason this is bad because when firing quickly (putting heat into the barrel) it expands and not only increases the OD, but also while expanding the barrel metal makes the chamber ID gets smaller and then the gun stops being able to extract spent cases.....
    Not wanting to derail the thread but I got to say something to stop the misinformation, like catargadelendaest said, when a metal tube is heated the ID and OD both expand. If this were not true heat wouldn't be so good at freeing up metal parts stuck together.

Back on track. OP if you're only going to shoot 300 yards I'd just go with a standard chrome lined barrel and free float it. There are some good threads on here (recently even) about taking stock chrome lined barrels chambered in 5.56 out to 400 yards or more. A member here, TRIDENT82, has some excellent videos of taking SBR's and LW barrels to some impressive distances.
    Last edited by Servo; 06-27-14 at 18:59.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    But I must advise that trigger time will do more than shopping time.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Actually, the ID of a cylinder can get smaller with heat for what is known as a "thick walled cylinder". This happens because the material expands linearly with temperature. However, the expansion around the circumference is 6.28 times the expansion along the radius. So the geometry of a cylinder imposes an imbalance between radial and circumferential expansion. This creates an internal force imbalance with the OD in tension and the ID in compression. In this case the hoop stress of the OD is sufficient to compress the ID.

It can also happen under transient conditions when heat is moving from the ID to the OD. In this case the cooler OD compresses the expanding inner portion and the ID shrinks. This is the sort of condition a rapidly fired barrel sees as heat moves from the bore to the OD.

I don't have my engineering books with me to run the numbers on a chamber to see if it is in thick walled cylinder territory. This phemonenon only happens when the ratio of OD to ID is high.

I would suspect that thick match barrels in tiny calibers are thick walled cylinders
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 06-27-14 at 20:21.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast