Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rra 223/5.56 wylde?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminAZ View Post
    Actually, the ID of a cylinder can get smaller with heat for what is known as a "thick walled cylinder". This happens because the material expands linearly with temperature. However, the expansion around the circumference is 6.28 times the expansion along the radius. So the geometry of a cylinder imposes an imbalance between radial and circumferential expansion. This creates an internal force imbalance with the OD in tension and the ID in compression. In this case the hoop stress of the OD is sufficient to compress the ID.

It can also happen under transient conditions when heat is moving from the ID to the OD. In this case the cooler OD compresses the expanding inner portion and the ID shrinks. This is the sort of condition a rapidly fired barrel sees as heat moves from the bore to the OD.

I don't have my engineering books with me to run the numbers on a chamber to see if it is in thick walled cylinder territory. This phemonenon only happens when the ratio of OD to ID is high.

I would suspect that thick match barrels in tiny calibers are thick walled cylinders
    I do not wish to derail!

JiminAZ, that sounds perfectly reasonable for a "thick walled cylinder" scenario. I'm no engineer so I cannot begin to estimate the degree to which any rifle chamber resembles a "thick walled cylinder." Thanks for the info.

Now back to the discussion of RRA barrels.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well I ended up able to return the barrel and went ahead and shelled out the money for a noveske 14.5" chf 1/7 twist barrel. After the battle comp 1.5 and having it pinned and welded. My wallet is a little upset with me but ill recover. Thanks for all the info guys.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by #1gunna89 View Post
    Im building this riffle for 300 meters max. I may have jumped the gun in purchasing this match barrel. Ill find someone that has a use for it and trade for a standard gove profile one. Thanks for all the input from everyone
    Sounds like you got a good barrel. However, if accuracy is your goal, 62g ball ammo (M855) is not a good choice. Mil-spec ammo is not known for great accuracy and M855 has the added disadvantage of an internal steel penetrator. Lack of precision in the placement of the penetrator rod in the bullet leads to inconsistency in ammo ballistics and big groups. I have always had better results using 55g ball (X193) vs 62g M855, even using 1/7 barrels.

Get some good ammo with either a 69g, 75g, or 77g match king bullets if you are going for good accuracy. Hornady, Federal, or Black Hills all make some nice 5.56 match ammo.
    Last edited by fdxpilot; 06-28-14 at 23:15.
    Colt SP6920, LE6920, 6720
    BCM Lower/ARP 6.8SPC upper for hog hunting
    DD M4V5 clone, Troy 5.56 Carbine, S&W M&P10
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 16" middie CHF upper
    PSA Lower/BCM LW 14.5" middie upper
    2 PSA 18"6.8 rifles, PSA 20" M16A4 clone
    Remington 870, Remington 700VTR
    SA XDm9, XDm9C, , XD9SC S&W 1911
    Ruger GP100, Hawkeye77 Compact 6.8SPC
    Kel-Tec KSG, Marlin 336 30-30, HK 45C, VP9
    Sig 1911 Tacops, Scorpion 1911, M11A1, P226 Mk25

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Well I ended up able to return the barrel and went ahead and shelled out the money for a noveske 14.5" chf 1/7 twist barrel. After the battle comp 1.5 and having it pinned and welded. My wallet is a little upset with me but ill recover. Thanks for all the info guys.
    One of my co-workers owns 2 Noveske rifles and they are nice rigs.

Good luck with your build.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have read nothing but good about noveske chf barrels. Im sure I wont be dissatisfied

Feedback Score
    I've had an RRA Tactical Entry for about 3 years now and love it. Haven't tried any 5.56 in it, but reload and shoot .223 on a bi-weekly basis. I love that gun! I have guys shooting Bushy and Colts on the line next to me. Enjoy watching them misfire and jam while my RRA just keeps on going on. Don't sell them short. You can pay a lot more for a lot less. For some reason, this forum seems to have an anti-RRA cult - probably made up of people who have never owned one, but "have a friend who told me...."

al

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Haha I have come to realize this. I have nothing negative to say about rra. I habe never used or owned anything from them. I steered away from this rra barrel because the wylde chambering just didnt sit well with me. Thia is defensive rifle. This barel was just to heavy and not what I needed

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    After three thousand rounds through my carbine, the Wylde chamber has never ever let me down- even when run hard. I've not heard of any problems related to a Wylde chamber
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thays great feed back on that chambering. The riffle this new one is replaceing has roughly 13k down the pipe on it. It had a DD chf on it. Still pushes 2 moa groups at 100.

Feedback Score
    Thays great feed back on that chambering. The riffle this new one is replaceing has roughly 13k down the pipe on it. It had a DD chf on it. Still pushes 2 moa groups at 100.
    Out of 3 RRA rifles I can easily get sub MOA out of them. The new R3 is nice as well. I'm getting .890" at 200 yards with mine. I love RRA. I make a lot of guys sad at the range when their 2K AR's can't even do a MOA...
    Using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast