Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 7.5" vs 10.5" barrels for pistol

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a pistol with the SB15.

I went with an 11.5" BCM BHF barrel and a KAC URXII I have from an SR15.

Very happy with it. Its the shortest that made sense to me with 5.5 and I really like the weight, feel, and look of the 11.5 with the urx.

I too would like shorter, if I do it will be .300blk, most likely a 8.2" with a 7" Centurion C4.

Feedback Score
    I have a 10.3" DD Mk18 pistol clone, an 11.5" BCM, and I'll be picking up my 7.5" Adams Arms this week. I also have an 8.2" Noveske in .300BLK. My favorite/most reliable has been my DD. Less than 10" and I will just echo that .300BLK is the way to go. The ballistics are just much better. I decided on the 7.5" AA because I wanted something ultra compact to run one of my suppressors with and AA claims that they have the 7.5" all worked out and the published ballistics seem pretty good so we will see.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisreedrules View Post
    I have a 10.3" DD Mk18 pistol clone, an 11.5" BCM, and I'll be picking up my 7.5" Adams Arms this week. I also have an 8.2" Noveske in .300BLK. My favorite/most reliable has been my DD. Less than 10" and I will just echo that .300BLK is the way to go. The ballistics are just much better. I decided on the 7.5" AA because I wanted something ultra compact to run one of my suppressors with and AA claims that they have the 7.5" all worked out and the published ballistics seem pretty good so we will see.
    I too went with an AA 7.5" barrel because of the increased velocities/ballistics (or at least that's what they suckered me in on), I don't have crony so can't say what velocities I'm actually getting. I already had a 12.5" SBR (and Draco) and wanted to do 7.5 "Sig pistol" build, well because I wanted to. Really would like someone with hard data on AA barrels to chime in.... Other than AA can be PITA to deal with.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    Well my first range report with my new AA 7.5" is lackluster. I only ran it supressed so keep that in mind... Had several FTFs, double feeds, and an incident of bump firing. Tried 3 different mags on it so I can rule that out but PMAGs seemed to work the best. I also tried 75gr black hills, 55gr, and 62gr through it. Oddly enough the 55gr seemed to run the smoothest. Most of my other shorties seem to prefer heavier ammo. Also found out that I can't take the piston off the front to clean it without taking off my AAC suppressor mount which is honestly really annoying. I never expected it to not work because AAC is such a big name in suppressors. But if I can get it running smoothly I'll take my dremel and modify the piston knob so I can take it off to clean it. I'm going back to the range tomorrow to try as work out the kinks and try it fully gassed to see if that makes a difference and I'm also going to being a different lower with a different trigger (currently running a Geissele SD3G and I know they can sometimes make it easier to bumpfire) and buffer/spring to try and rule that out. Will report back with my findings. Also, I called AA and immediately got someone on the phone to help me troubleshoot a bit. I've never dealt with AA before but so far so good on the customer service.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For those not into shooting pass 100 yards and unsuppressed, would you be pleased, content, contented, happy, proud, triumphant using less than 10" barrel?

What ammo would you use?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If you are in a fight, and something impedes your ability to adequately project force, correct that problem or remove yourself from the fight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    For those not into shooting pass 100 yards and unsuppressed, would you be pleased, content, contented, happy, proud, triumphant using less than 10" barrel?

What ammo would you use?

thanks
    I can sincerely say that shooting anything less than 10" in .223 unsurpressed is just punishment. I shot my 7.5" unsurpressed for a few rounds today and it literally gave me an instant headache. The concussion is impressive and anyone else standing near you will hate you for it (as evidenced by the evil stares I incurred). If you want a less than 10" in .223 for home defense then why wouldn't you also run it suppressed? And if you want less than 10" I'd just go .300BLK... If you are determined to stick with .223 then I'd go with 10" to 11.5"

And just to follow up... Got the 7.5" AA running smoothe now. Ran about 100 rounds through it today both suppressed and unsuppressed with no FTEs, double feeds, or bump firing. I'm going to take a dremel to the piston knob so I can remove it with the AAC 51T I have on it now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisreedrules View Post
    I can sincerely say that shooting anything less than 10" in .223 unsuppressed is just punishment. I shot my 7.5" unsuppressed for a few rounds today and it literally gave me an instant headache. The concussion is impressive and anyone else standing near you will hate you for it (as evidenced by the evil stares I incurred). If you want a less than 10" in .223 for home defense then why wouldn't you also run it suppressed? And if you want less than 10" I'd just go .300BLK... If you are determined to stick with .223 then I'd go with 10" to 11.5"
    This is what I'm looking for.
    I'm researching what the con(s) of a shorter barrel. Basically, I'm trying to talk myself out of getting an AR Pistol, before my credit card leaps out of my wallet

Unfortunately, I live in Illinois where suppressors are no-go.

So thank you for your input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If you are in a fight, and something impedes your ability to adequately project force, correct that problem or remove yourself from the fight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    This is what I'm looking for.
    I'm researching what the con(s) of a shorter barrel. Basically, I'm trying to talk myself out of getting an AR Pistol, before my credit card leaps out of my wallet

Unfortunately, I live in Illinois where suppressors are no-go.

So thank you for your input.
    Liner comp is a must for 7.5" AR barrel (if suppressor is not option). As far as headaches, I think that might be dependent on shooter. If worried see if you can try one before you buy.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Deleted
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 02-24-15 at 18:15. Reason: Ads

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    I posted this in another thread. AA 7.5 piston on SBR lower running carbine buffer.
    Thats what I'm looking for! Thanks
    Go where the food is.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast