Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality SHTF AR build

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quality SHTF AR build

My first AR was a Stag 2TL. Then I "built" (i.e. put an upper and lower together) a 20" Stag. I sold the 20" a while ago and recently got the itch to build an AR. After I picked up a new, never used Troy TRX rail on a local forum I knew it was time. After a bit of research and envisioning what I wanted to build I started to figure out what I was going to order.

I knew my first requirement was to build it with quality parts as a SHTF battle rifle. Not that it will probably ever be used as such, but I wanted to know it would stand up! I got everything in and completed it a few weeks ago.

The only other thing I wanted was to be able to have a sliding stock. Being in CT I needed the lower to be a pre-ban. The good thing with this is I also get to have a threaded barrel, flash hider and a bayonet lug if I wanted one.

I found a pre-ban Olympic SGW forged lower and traded a S&W revolver for it. The only issue I ran into is that the BCM upper's lugs didn't fit the Olympic lower and allow the AR to close correctly. I lightly sanded the corners and it is a perfect fit. Everything else came together and I have what you see now! I absolutely love it. I started with a Primary Arms Micro red dot and changed to the ACOG I picked up for a great deal.I want to 100% trust my optic which is why I went with Trijicon.

The parts:

Upper: BCM demo
    Lower: Olympic Arms SGW forged pre-ban
    Barrel: Daniel Defense 16" CHF 1/7 twist Mid-length gas system chrome lined
    Rail: Troy 15" TRX Extreme battle rail
    Gas Block: Troy Low Profile
    Flash Hider: Yankee Hill Machine Phantom 5C2
    Stock:VLTOR Emod Mil-spec (holds 8 Surefire CR123A batteries)
    Grip: Tangodown Battlegrip
    Foregrip: Magpul AFG
    Light Mount: Viking Tactical
    Sling: Vickers Tactical Padded
    Front Sling Mount: Troy Cooling Hole TRX low pro mount
    Other: Magpul BAD lever
    Weapon Light: Fenix PD31
    Sights: Troy Battlesights
    Optic: ACOG TA01 w/ LaRue LT-100 mount

Yep.....I love it! I really hope it shoots as good as it looks!

Enjoy the photos!

This is as it sits now:

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Old photos before the sling, ACOG, and BAD lever.

Couple fun shots of some ammo too:

Last edited by jamesbern; 12-23-11 at 11:00.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    You chose quality parts and take excellent photos.

Now I wanna see some good photos from the range.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    What Knife? Koyote?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Good and simple looking rifle. Gratz! Really like the long hand guard look.

Nice photos man.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Excellent photography and rifle! Shame yoou have to deal with BS CT laws though.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Excellent photography and rifle! Shame yoou have to deal with BS CT laws though.
    Yeah what did yous have to pay for your pre ban lower?
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I traded the lower for a S&W revolver that I was selling. I'd say around $600 for it.

There's another for sale for $750. This is pretty average price for one. It sucks, but we have to do what we have to do.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    You can always move up here to Vermont. We are a very firearm friendly state. Only cans are restricted and I think that will change.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfgk14 View Post
    What Knife? Koyote?
    I missed this earlier. Yep, it is a Koyote. It is awesome!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbern;1177149[img
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/jamesbernatchez/Photography/be0b18eb.jpg[/img]
    I think it would look better if you photoshop'ed out that center vertical line, where the two pieces of foam core meet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast