Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti carrier tilt buffer assemblies are available.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalMother556 View Post
    Wouldn't that negate the use of an M-16 carrier that some people are so found of for its additional weight? Not talkin' smack, just sayin.
    Not at all. The weight diff between carrier styles is completely negligible compared to the weight spreads between buffer weights.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you machined the "nipple" as more of a rounded cone shape, i.e. with a taper to the sides and a domed end, would it retain its full anit-tilt properites AND allow for easier dissasembly?

Like a very large detent?

Just wondering aloud...

-RD62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RD62 View Post
    If you machined the "nipple" as more of a rounded cone shape, i.e. with a taper to the sides and a domed end, would it retain its full anit-tilt properites AND allow for easier dissasembly?

Like a very large detent?

Just wondering aloud...

-RD62
    I went against that idea because in the tilt action, along with rearward movement, theres is a "shear" movement (the tilt downward). I saw that as being somewhat synonymous to the action of hinging the upper from the lower (a shear movement between carrier and buffer). I thought it best to have a full square shoulder for the carrier to bear on.

I did not try it, I just ruled it out in the design process.

Thanks for your reply,
    Seth H.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    This would be great on pistons - when available?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4fun View Post
    This would be great on pistons - when available?
    Im running one of these buffers with an Ares defense/Bushmaster piston conversion kit and it does work great on pistons.

It'll be a few weeks or more before available. I've just inquired about setting up a web site for this and other parts. Thats where most of my marketing will take place, hopefully. I have to do something for marketing, I cant do it in this thread unless Im a dealer. I'll make it known when its available without breaking the rules.

Thanks for your interest,
    Seth H.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    Also, I'd like to know if carrier tilt is a problem with ALL piston guns? How about the 416? What did Hk do to address this issue?
    Finally, what exactly causes carrier tilt? I mean, If you think about it, IF an Op-Rod can cause a carrier to tilt, why can't THOUSANDS of PSI of gas hitting the carrier key also cause carrier tilt, in a DI system?
    I just always wondered about that?

I would almost bet any or all piston uppers have this issue, in the AR platform. H&K and LWRC both I believe have a bulbous end on the back of their carriers that is just slightly smaller than the receiver extention, when the back of the carrier hits the floor of the tube it dosnt travel nearly as far.

I would imagine there is a little tilt in DI guns also, but with a push as opposed to an extremely hard punch, I think the tilt is negligible. That is not gospel by the way, just a common sence observation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Harness View Post
    I agree, but with nothing to stop the downward tilt it would just create more adverse wear inside the upper on the bearing surfaces, having only a half circle allows for the system to travel down that much farther. The nice thing about this system is its drop-in. If someone wants to grind a porsion out of the bottom of their carrier, the system would pivot freely on the front pin. Like I said above, to make your rifle halves pivot freely from each other it takes an extra 4 seconds. Removing both front and rear pins seperating them and reinserting your front pin, your halves will pivot like normal. To reinstall, just set the carrier down on the indexing nipple, reach in with your finger and push it back and upper will drop down into place. It does take a tad longer but not so long its not worth the fix, IMHO.

Thanks for your reply and iterest.
    Seth H.

Not only that, but there must be an adverse effect of carrier tilt on the bolt itself. That moment arm is creating uneven stress/loading of the bolt's locking lugs and in theory could cause a higher incidence of catastrophic bolt/bolt lug failure.

Glad to see you are able to post this freely now Seth. I look forward to seeing this product's progress.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Not only that, but there must be an adverse effect of carrier tilt on the bolt itself. That moment arm is creating uneven stress/loading of the bolt's locking lugs and in theory could cause a higher incidence of catastrophic bolt/bolt lug failure.

Glad to see you are able to post this freely now Seth. I look forward to seeing this product's progress.

Agreed, good point. Whats more is ares recommends you remove your gas rings from the bolt. When I did so, my bolt moved much more freely in the carrier and thus I would imagine giving way to the potential of adverse movement. All the more proof that carrier tilt IS NOT a negligible condition.

Josh thanks, you've been extremely helpfull, I look forward to seeing its progression also.

Feedback Score
    What I found out when I built my first prototype piston upper is that it was eating up the buffer tube and the rear inside of the upper.
    In a DI upper the rear of the carrier is suspended in the center of the upper bore, held in place part by the slight pressure of the buffer via the spring, when it fires the carrier is pushed straight to the rear from the center of the carrier.
    In the piston carrier, the piston pushes at the very top of the solid key making the carrier tilt and move from its center position in the rear towards the bottom of the receiver bore/buffer tube causing wear.
    When I added pads to the rear of my carrier it allowed the pads to sit on the bottom of the receiver bore, therefore not allowing the carrier to tilt and hit the upper bore/receiver tube, it was already making contact, so it just goes straight back, no battering.........................................AD

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ADC View Post
    What I found out when I built my first prototype piston upper is that it was eating up the buffer tube and the rear inside of the upper.
    In a DI upper the rear of the carrier is suspended in the center of the upper bore, held in place part by the slight pressure of the buffer via the spring, when it fires the carrier is pushed straight to the rear from the center of the carrier.
    In the piston carrier, the piston pushes at the very top of the solid key making the carrier tilt and move from its center position in the rear towards the bottom of the receiver bore/buffer tube causing wear.
    When I added pads to the rear of my carrier it allowed the pads to sit on the bottom of the receiver bore, therefore not allowing the carrier to tilt and hit the upper bore/receiver tube, it was already making contact, so it just goes straight back, no battering.........................................AD
    I have been following the thread on your new upper. I found it very interesting so THANK YOU for commenting here it is appreciated.

I had many ideas for curing tilt for people by modifying the carrier and/or the extension itself. I wanted to go that route but the possibility of ruining peoples carriers somewhere in the annealing, machining and rehardening processes kept me from doing so. This being a drop-in part gets rid of the potential for ruining carriers, but machining carriers from the ground up... Making integral pads on the bottom rear makes perfect sense.

The only wear I experienced was in the extension just behind the buffer retainer pin and the unknown/unseen wear in the upper on the bearing surfaces, I found this unexceptable. In this system the nipple on the head of the buffer fits tight in the back of the carrier, zero wobble. The large shoulder just behind the nipple fits with little room to spare inside the extension. Thus keeping the rear of the carrier centered in the extension through the recoil and battery process. No tilt, beauty!

Thanks again,
    Seth H.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast