Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best .308 AR ( $2000 budget)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Best .308 AR ( $2000 budget)

So i'm looking to trade/sell a nice M1A Scout setup. Will probably get 2K for it all. I'm looking at .308 AR's at the moment, but the market has changed drastically since I looked at them last. With SIGs, Rugers, POF, Colt, etc.

So i'm just curious what the M4c consensus is on best bang for the buck in this price range. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The Colt seems to run, but the LMT MRP is the Cadillac of them all. LMT does a lot of stuff I don't like, but their 308 MRP is a winner.

I wouldn't touch any of the others you mentioned with a 10 foot pole. If it takes you 2500 to get into an LMT, do it. We have a buddy that just wasted 2 grand on a POF that won't run for shit. We know a LOT of guys who we tell what NOT TO BUY, but they buy it anyway.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The Colt seems to run, but the LMT MRP is the Cadillac of them all. LMT does a lot of stuff I don't like, but their 308 MRP is a winner.

I wouldn't touch any of the others you mentioned with a 10 foot pole. If it takes you 2500 to get into an LMT, do it. We have a buddy that just wasted 2 grand on a POF that won't run for shit. We know a LOT of guys who we tell what NOT TO BUY, but they buy it anyway.

Interesting about the POF. I was really looking into one, but did notice there are TONS of them on the market.....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by azeriosu85 View Post
    Interesting about the POF. I was really looking into one, but did notice there are TONS of them on the market.....
    You could hit Pappabear with a PM if you want more on the thing. It malfs quite a bit from what I hear.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Curious as to what they do that you don't like minus maybe the Enhanced Bolt/carrier?

Also I am in the same boat and the two choices near your budget are a S&W M&P10 add rail of your choice, and trigger group, stock etc or just get the LMT MWS which you can also shoot other calibers with the quick change MRP barrel system such as anything based on .308 cartridge(I believe, 6.5, .243, .260, 7.62 are the options). The S&W is lighter weight though.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    What do you want it to do?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    If you do not want to spend over the $2K mark I would look at CMMG, S&W, or just build one.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    If you seriously want a quality AR platform .308, and want it now, get an LMT MWS and don't look back. I cannot vouch for it being the "Best", but it is at the top of a short list in regards to quality, reliability, dependability, accuracy, and of course price. It is a fine firearm, and is usually available somewhere. I resorted to gunbroker, once I found one at the price I was seeking, which $2500 before shipping and other related fees.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    What do you want it to do?
    replace my current rifle's job. Hunting, general purpose, fighting, etc etc.

More and More I read the more in being convinced to keep what I have

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    SCAR 17. Friend of mine has one and it's very soft shooting.

You also get these advantages over a AR type design:

1) Folding stock for easier storage and transport. Stock is length adjustable and has cheek riser built in.
    2) Short stroke piston keeps the action cleaner longer.
    3) Comes with free floated barrel.
    4) Comes with railed forearm.
    5) Field adjustable gas regulator.
    6) Gas port size is set by screws that come in 0.05mm increments. You can tune the gas system for reliable use with your loads.
    7) Comes with BUIS.
    8) Designed for use with optics.
    9) Ambidextrous.
    10) Reciprocating CH.
    11) Easily replaceable barrel.
    12) 8lbs unloaded.

Yes, it costs but quality doesn't come cheap. OTOH, if you're trying to save money .308 ain't the right game.

H

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast