Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem With My 1911

Feedback Score

Question Problem With My 1911

I had a Wilson combat trigger installed in Springfield 1911. But the over travel screw is giving me some problems. I have used locktite but it still came loose after about 200 rounds. I had the trigger installed by a gunsmith and this raises another question, was this a shoddy trigger job? I have also read if the hammer bumps about two-thirds of the way down to the firing pin this can damage the sear when it contacts the safety notch. But the hammer will partially cock at the point where it is "bumping." The gunsmith that put the trigger in recently vanished under shady circumstances so i cant ask him. I need some help, is this fairly common problem or am i the victim of a bad gunsmith?

thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jc75754 View Post
    "Problem with my 1911"

So everything's normal then....................

Feedback Score
    Sorry! I had to... "Lord Jesus I apologise"......... feed the starvin Pygmy's in Africa.......

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I dont know how much you can do yourself but you can locktite and stake the trigger that should do the trick or if you want to do it right just go get a 10-8 trigger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I dont know how much you can do yourself but you can locktite and stake the trigger that should do the trick or if you want to do it right just go get a 10-8 trigger.
    sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but what do you mean when you say stake the trigger?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Grinch has pointed you in the right direction, but given your question I'd look for a competent gunsmith to do the work (not meant as a dig, just an observation).

Staking the trigger is done by setting the overtravel in the correct position and then using a center punch and peening the sides of the trigger pad on top of the over travel screw. This will "crush" the trigger bow onto the screw to prevent movement of the screw. This combined with lock tight will normally prevent the screw from moving out of adjustment.

If you want a no fail system, have a 10-8 trigger installed.

Feedback Score
    For locktite to work properly both parts need to be cleaned with a solvent of some sort.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I do it redneck style.... I just leave the over travel screw out in the first place.

(I'm sure this contributes to Global Warming or something.... but I don't have to worry about that little thing moving around)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Find yourself a good 1911 'smith.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you are holding your hammer to the rear, depressing the trigger, releasing the trigger and then lowering the hammer manually, it is normal for the hammer to catch on the half-cock notch.

If during the normal course of firing the hammer is striking the halfcock notch, this is NOT NORMAL and may cause damage to the sear. It needs to be fixed.

If the overtravel screw is moving in the trigger that is also bad. If it migrates in, it can cause the trigger not to depress, turning your 1911 into a paperweight until you unscrew it. Lock-tite it, stake it, or replace it.

-RD62

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast