Thread: FN P-12

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

FN P-12

Curious about the P-12, I traded for a new one last week and have been researching the model and firing a few familiarization rounds. The P-12 and Win SXP share the same design platform, which was derived from the now discontinued Win models 1200 and 1300. Country of origin is not easily determined as there is no "made in?" stamped on the gun. However the barrel is stamped "FN Herstal Belgium--FNH USA Fredericksburg, Va". Company information states that this model is assembled in Portugal. Stamped on the receiver are the serial number, the FN trademark, and model number.

What is not advertised is that SXP and P-12 parts are made in turkey in the SAME plant. The difference is that the P-12 is assembled in Portugal. When you consider that FN owns Win and that Win firearms, Browning firearms, and FNH USA firearms are all serviced at the Browning repair center in Arnold, Missouri, then I'm not surprised. If your gun is a Win, then this place is the Win repair center and so on.

Buds has a Win SXP Defender for about $245, and probability is high that it's a P-12 in disguise. 590A1 would be my choice if I were a cop or soldier. The P-12 will wear a scope for hog hunting duty.

Clarification added in edit: SXP and P-12 parts are identical and differ in name only. Internal parts, barrels and fore ends will interchange between the two models. Exceptions are: SXP hunting variations have a 4 shot mag tube. P-12 has a 5 shot choke tube. An SXP variation is a hunting barrel made to fit security models(including P-12). It has a 5 shot mag tube.
    Last edited by williejc; 07-04-14 at 12:01.