Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: $2000 budget

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    What problems is he having with coyote? 15 acres isn't exactly the Pondersoa! An AR might be a little overkill for pest control on such a small piece of property. It might also get him in trouble. Get him a light barreled Savage bolt gun in 17 HMR with a 3x9 Nikon Target EFR for the pest and a 6920 for HD/ SHTF.
    I'm not trying to convey it as a gigantic piece of property, just trying to give some perspective to assist with suggestions...

It is heavily wooded with trails cut. The coyotes are killing some of the chickens, and just getting too close lately. Again, he does like to shoot and wants something he would feel confident defending with.
    Patrolman
    USMC 0621
    Brass Junkie

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i just built a gun that would work good for him. 16 inch bcm blem upper with c4 rail, bcm bcg and charging handle, bcm blem lower with a 3x9-40 bdc nikon p-223 scope i got on sale. it's a tack driver and the 9 power would be nice with his lack of vision. and this would be way under the budget for a future sbr conversion.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have seen nothing but positive reviews and discussion about the Tavor. I have not fire the Tavor personally, but I have fondled them on several occasions. The weapon feels fantastic, and I have already personally decided that I will go with a 16" Tavor over an SBR for the performance of the 5.56. Here's some videos from one of the members here;

http://youtu.be/seqxsbu0VIU

http://youtu.be/APQyUgLFt6Y
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Johnson View Post
    $695 for a BCM BFH 16" with an MI SSG12 forend
    $215 for BCM BCG and gunfighter charging handle
    $375 for BCM blem lower from G&R with a B5 bravo stock

$1285, gives you 700-ish to play with for the optic (assuming the optic is part of your budget)

I'm sure you could save some money depending on whether you have some parts on hand that would make assembling your own lower / upper more cost effective.
    This.. I would go for a BCM ELW 14.5 pinned with the KMR13 . (Bet he would be impressed with how light "new" technology is) Blem BCM lower form Grant. BCM BCG and CH. (or find a sale on BCG thats still HP, MPI.. LMT's from DSG just had a sale for $135.. other deals to be had on a BCG) And you would still have quiet a bit of money for an optic. Or a surefire light, irons, sling and QD mount, and an optic like a Vortex. Now you just build him the whole package for 2K. Thats what I did for my father-in-law, and he was so excited. He hadn't picked up a AR since Vietnam and he couldn't believe how light and "cool" it was. Minus the M16 full auto switch..
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 07-07-14 at 16:53.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    There is no reason to get an SBR just because he uses a ATV. A 16" gun would be just fine. Kyle lamb promotes that view. It's all in how you use it. Plus the wait time and you're eating up $200 for the stamp alone. There are plenty of places selling Colt 6920s for about a grand. Gives you a lot of room for a variable power optic and other accessories.

BTW, awesome gift idea. Awesome. And a suppressor? Awesomer!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The Tavor has a lot of good things going for it, as well as bad things. Luckily the aftermarket is currently taking care of some of the bad and once IWI US reaches a market saturation point you will be able to get spare parts for it.

The good:

16" velocity and energy out of a package equivalent in length to a 11.5" barrel SBR
    Weight balance behind the pistol grip allows you to have it at the ready with only one arm holding it in to your shoulder.
    Much like an AR you pop a single pin and the action components can be pulled out to allow you to clean.
    The Fire control pack can be pulled out by popping two pins so you can clean or change out the fire control pack (most will want to change out the fire control pack with a Shooting Sight or Geissele)
    Lefty friendly: a consideration if you want to practice transitions due to corners and barricades. Or if like me, you are a Satan-hander.

The Bad
    Weight. No matter what anyone says, it is still heavier than ARs sporting similar features from the factory.
    Trigger: Brutal factory pull with a long take up. It may be one of the worst factory trigger pulls on a modern combat rifle. As previously mentioned it can be replaced...At about $350.
    Cost: You can find it for about the same as a well known quality AR that has slightly more features, like a better trigger, free float rail, and modular design to change out the pistol grip and stock.
    Length of Pull: It is a fixed stock design like all other bull pups so no changing the stock with something shorter (If you did make it shorter you would end up in SBR territory).
    Pistol Grip: Again a piece of the furniture that can't be changed out to fit your hand or grip angle. To be fair this rifle was designed before all these options were available to even the AR.
    Bolt release: While bilateral for ease of dropping the bolt, it makes locking the bolt back awkward to say the least.
    Height over Bore: This will throw off optics that are set up with BDC reticles for ARs.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I suppose I will try the Tavor in the future, being that it wouldn't leave me much room for an optic and light. BCM is what I will most likely go with, I have their products and like them.

So now it's down to the optic, light, and sling.
    Patrolman
    USMC 0621
    Brass Junkie

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Coach gun with an ACOG.
    C'mon dude.

Be realistic.

10/22 with Elcan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkenstein View Post
    I suppose I will try the Tavor in the future, being that it wouldn't leave me much room for an optic and light. BCM is what I will most likely go with, I have their products and like them.

So now it's down to the optic, light, and sling.
    How far of a shot can he realistically take (limit being geography/foliage)?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Coach gun with an ACOG.
    I want to see that one!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Wish my son would buy me a rifle, maybe when I get really old...
    Have bought my old man a couple guns. If your son ever gives you shit about the idea, tell him to look at it this way. Eventually he will get them anyway. My old man has a .357 that I bought him a few years back and I think I might have shot it more than he has actually, though it is sighted in for him.

On topic, for 2K you could build a rifle damn near to your father's specs with a good scope without issue. I think the biggest issue is going to be narrowing down the exact needs and desires for the rifle's mission. There are a lot of set ups that would work from simplistic to the latest and greatest. Personal thoughts fall into the BCM builds mentioned already, maybe a little nicer than stock trigger. For optics, lots of optics that can be had and keep the rifle in budget.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast