Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $2000 budget

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    How far of a shot can he realistically take (limit being geography/foliage)?
    The farthest open range shots are about 300 yard or slightly less. Everything else would be ~50 yards and in. A lot of the shooting is at around 100 yards due to most of the wildlife trails coming into the open across one of the ponds. So from his house, across a pond, and at the tree line is about 100 yards.

I have dialed in my rifles and am just fine with a T-1, but it goes back to his eyes rapidly deteriorating.

Would the Leupold VX-Hog fit the bill and be a decent scope in the long run?
    Patrolman
    USMC 0621
    Brass Junkie

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Get your father a good 16 inch middy carbine with a lighter weight profile barrel and a G2S trigger. A simple optic like a Leupold 1-4 or 2-7 will work great. Look at magnification range and optical quality and ignore extras and catchy names like VX Hog or AR whatevertheheck. Make sure you mount the optic with good quality mounts & rings. Aero Precision makes a real good one for well under $100. Getting your father a good AR carbine isn't complicated
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just another option - If you are serious about the suppressor later, why not set him up with an AR pistol with the SB-15 Not-a-Stock, along with a BCM KMR upper in 11.5" or 12.5"? Should be great for the ranges he has, save some weight, and keep you at a reasonable length with the suppressor.

$900 for upper + BCG+CH
    KAK SB15 kit - $215
    Lower - $150
    White Oak LPK with ALG ACT - $105

Should put you around $1400, so you have room for a decent optic and mount.

Vortex Viper PST 1-4x. Demo with capped turrets for $400: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...viperpst1-4x24
    Would leave room for a nice mount

Or for a lighter weight option, something like the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x with the firedot, and a SWFA mount for $470, and it comes with a couple mags. Its a pretty good, light scope for the money.

That would just about leave enough for a tax stamp to put a "real" stock on it later.
    Last edited by el_chupo_; 07-07-14 at 21:44.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    It'd probably be easier just to get a 16" mid-length rifle and not have to worry about tax stamps, permanently attached muzzle device ect. I'd also recommend some flavor of BCM upper, probably with SS barrel for a bit more accuracy when you start getting out past 100yards. Probably don't need anything super fancy, just solid and reliable. That will but you well below your budget of $2000 and allow you some money for glass. The vortex stuff is nice, Trijicon is pretty good but a little overpriced. I'm pretty happy with a $400 Leopuld 4-12 on my .308 bolt action.

The TAVOR is interesting, probably one of the nicer bull pup designs I've seen. I've got a MSAR STG-556 ( AUG clone) that's fun, really compact and reasonably accurate but due to the expense of aftermarket parts and overall weight I'd definitely go with an AR platform in your situation. Parts for an AR are relatively cheap and plentiful. They're basically adult tinker toys. The rifle I built for a similar purpose is basically a Larue Stealth upper with .223 Wylde 1/8 Barrel on a Mega lower I built with an Alexander Arms trigger.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm near your dad's age and had to put optics on nearly everything now. My favorite AR is my all BCM midlength that has either an Aimpoint PRO or Leupold 2-7x mounted. I have a Leopuld 1-4x on my Marlin 1894 that would also work well on the AR. It is very accurate. I have a basic carbine stock on it and that is one item I would like to upgrade. I think a basic, solid midlength with nice handguard, stock and optic would be a classy gift.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by benthughes View Post
    It'd probably be easier just to get a 16" mid-length rifle and not have to worry about tax stamps, permanently attached muzzle device ect. I'd also recommend some flavor of BCM upper, probably with SS barrel for a bit more accuracy when you start getting out past 100yards. Probably don't need anything super fancy, just solid and reliable. That will but you well below your budget of $2000 and allow you some money for glass. The vortex stuff is nice, Trijicon is pretty good but a little overpriced. I'm pretty happy with a $400 Leopuld 4-12 on my .308 bolt action.

The TAVOR is interesting, probably one of the nicer bull pup designs I've seen. I've got a MSAR STG-556 ( AUG clone) that's fun, really compact and reasonably accurate but due to the expense of aftermarket parts and overall weight I'd definitely go with an AR platform in your situation. Parts for an AR are relatively cheap and plentiful. They're basically adult tinker toys. The rifle I built for a similar purpose is basically a Larue Stealth upper with .223 Wylde 1/8 Barrel on a Mega lower I built with an Alexander Arms trigger.
    I also have an STG-556. I don't know why yours is heavy. Mine weighs in at 7.5 lbs. I installed a Promoted Pawn optic rail to drop the optic height, threw on some BUIS, and the only other external mod I'm going to do is get the side rail and put a light on it.

An AR is obviously more accurate, but at the distances the OP is saying it will be shot a bullpup would do IMO. I consider my MSAR a 0-300 yard weapon. I can easily carry it around in my Blackhawk Diversion Carry Raquet Case along with 5 loaded 42 round mags.

I know there are some disadvantages to a bullpup, but most of them can be overcome with a little money. OP, check out RatWorxUSA, they specialize in bullpups. I picked mine up for $1200. Maybe show a picture of one to your dad and see what he thinks?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    14.5-16" middie from BCM or DD with a Trijicon Accupoint would be ideal for your dad's needs.

Feedback Score
    Good on you and your brothers/sisters. This would be a solid choice that is very hard to beat, add a good optic and it will serve your father well. Plus the first time he handles the 13" KMR he will wonder how he ever did without one.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...on&key=780-780

Or if he would prefer a Colt there are many on sale such as this one, plus you get a free Carhartt Colt embroidered jacket...

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=6720

http://www.cdnnsports.com/6920mp-223...l#.U7v2frGmXAk
    Last edited by SiGfever; 07-08-14 at 08:50.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    C'mon dude.

Be realistic.

10/22 with Elcan.
    Those do have the banana clips. But coach gun has more knock down power. It's a trade off.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Daniel Defense V7
    Primary Arms Gen 2 1-6x in a Larue or Bobro mount
    Geissele G2S

I've seen NIB V7's being sold for $960. PA Scope is around $260. Mount is $200. G2S is $150. So $1600 for a very capable, handy and accurate rifle.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast