Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin firearm laws...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Wisconsin firearm laws...

Hey guys... Leaving Thursday night from AZ for a drive to WI for my sister's wedding. Was looking at WI gun laws and I am pretty sure I understand them but wanted to get clarification from you "wisconsin-ities" before I do anything. I actually grew up there but wasn't into firearms back then so never really had a need to understand such laws. If you can confirm what I have learned and seen on the internet below it would be greatly appreciated. I was planning on doing some shooting on my Fiances' Dad's farm as he says it's legal though I know for a fact he hasn't looked into the laws seriously.

*I DO NOT HAVE A CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE YET*

• Open carry is legal for all individuals that can legally own a firearm, I do not intend to open carry...

• There is no ban on high capacity magazines or AR related features

• no real laws on the transportation of firearms... IE firearms can be loaded in the vehicle as long as they are not concealed. No issues like they have to be in a locked case with magazines out and ammo in another container

• only concealed carry licensed personnel can carry concealed

• 3" or less knife lengths and no OTFs

Last question as I was going to just call though figured I could just quickly ask it here is... Does Bravo Company have a store front??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thirteen/autumns View Post
    Hey guys... Leaving Thursday night from AZ for a drive to WI for my sister's wedding. Was looking at WI gun laws and I am pretty sure I understand them but wanted to get clarification from you "wisconsin-ities" before I do anything. I actually grew up there but wasn't into firearms back then so never really had a need to understand such laws. If you can confirm what I have learned and seen on the internet below it would be greatly appreciated. I was planning on doing some shooting on my Fiances' Dad's farm as he says it's legal though I know for a fact he hasn't looked into the laws seriously.

*I DO NOT HAVE A CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE YET*

• Open carry is legal for all individuals that can legally own a firearm, I do not intend to open carry...

• There is no ban on high capacity magazines or AR related features

• no real laws on the transportation of firearms... IE firearms can be loaded in the vehicle as long as they are not concealed. No issues like they have to be in a locked case with magazines out and ammo in another container

• only concealed carry licensed personnel can carry concealed

• 3" or less knife lengths and no OTFs

Last question as I was going to just call though figured I could just quickly ask it here is... Does Bravo Company have a store front??
    All correct except long guns are NOT permitted to be loaded while transporting. They do not have to be cased. Handguns may be loaded & concealed.

Not sure about the knife question.

BCM does not have a storefront. In fact, you probably wouldn't even recognize it if you drove past. Midwest Industries does have a storefront & has BCM products in stock. It's also not too far from BCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    All correct except long guns are NOT permitted to be loaded while transporting. They do not have to be cased. Handguns may be loaded & concealed.

Not sure about the knife question.

BCM does not have a storefront. In fact, you probably wouldn't even recognize it if you drove past. Midwest Industries does have a storefront & has BCM products in stock. It's also not too far from BCM.

Great thanks for the update on the long gun... I appreciate it. I will look into MI's store front. I was looking to pick up a BCM BCG, buffer and carbine spring.

Feedback Score
    To my knowledge you may not transport a loaded handgun concealed without a ccw.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wisconsin firearm laws...

Quote Originally Posted by P&P View Post
    To my knowledge you may not transport a loaded handgun concealed without a ccw.
    It can be loaded & concealed but it can't be within reach. Sorry for not clarifying earlier.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/sites/def...cw/ccw-faq.pdf

(Pg 44)

Eta: too bad you don't have an AZ permit yet. Wis honors them.

Last edited by Ryno12; 07-09-14 at 06:02.

Feedback Score
    You may carry a loaded handgun in your car concealed only if you have a valid ccw. Without the permit you would be cited for having a concealed weapon. So since the OP does not have a valid ccw he cannot transport a loaded handgun concealed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the link and the clarification from both of you... That helps out significantly more then reading through the state statues, because that is like herding cats... Just straight out blows.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P&P View Post
    You may carry a loaded handgun in your car concealed only if you have a valid ccw. Without the permit you would be cited for having a concealed weapon. So since the OP does not have a valid ccw he cannot transport a loaded handgun concealed.
    The way the FAQ page reads from the DOJ seems like you can provided it's not within reach.

If I do not have a CCW license how do I transport weapons in a vehicle? A. Handguns The law now allows a person who can legally possess a handgun to do the following without a CCW permit: • place, possess, or transport a handgun in a vehicle without being unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(b). • load a handgun in a vehicle. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(c). • operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) with a loaded uncased handgun in the operator‘s possession. Wis. Stat. § 23.33(3)(a). • place, possess, or transport a handgun in or on a motorboat with the motor running without being unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(a), (b), (c). • place, possess, or transport a loaded uncased handgun in or on a noncommercial aircraft. IMPORTANT NOTE: Persons who do not have a CCW license may still not carry weapons concealed. In a vehicle this means that the firearm cannot be hidden or concealed and within reach.

I interpret the above to mean you may have a loaded handgun say, under your back seat.
    It just can't be on his person or anywhere it is easily accessible. Keywords being "AND within reach".

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

In a vehicle this means that the firearm cannot be hidden or concealed and within reach.
    After reading and reading about the transport of firearms and sending the statues to my soon to be brother-in-law (lawyer) both of us have come to the conclusion that transporting my handgun inbetween the seat and center console with grip exposed (how I normally transport it in AZ) wont constitue concealed. From our understanding it cannot be loaded and HIDDEN. Either way I do not anticipate and run-in with the police and I am sure cooler heads will prevail if I do as I am not a "hot-headed" teenager. Maybe I will be in luck and my CCW from AZ will show up today or tomorow

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thirteen/autumns View Post
    After reading and reading about the transport of firearms and sending the statues to my soon to be brother-in-law (lawyer) both of us have come to the conclusion that transporting my handgun inbetween the seat and center console with grip exposed (how I normally transport it in AZ) wont constitue concealed. From our understanding it cannot be loaded and HIDDEN. Either way I do not anticipate and run-in with the police and I am sure cooler heads will prevail if I do as I am not a "hot-headed" teenager. Maybe I will be in luck and my CCW from AZ will show up today or tomorow
    That should work. Kinda dumb that they allow it to be loaded and on the seat but not loaded and under your seat. You're in your car for Christ's sake. Either way, they still allow a non CCW to have a loaded handgun in your vehicle.
    You could also PM a member here named Chameleox and get his take on the matter. He's a WI Leo & an all around good dude.

Have a good and safe trip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast