Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My journey to build a HK 416 without using any HK parts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My journey to build a HK 416 without using any HK parts.

I have to first start off by stating that I am NOT a piston fan, AR15 always should be a direct gas system as designed by Mr. Stoner.

With that being said, I thought the HK416 was very well designed system; I even had the rare opportunity to shoot and photograph the original HK M4D. So the HK 416 has always been in my blood. As much as I wanted an HK416 there has been just none to be had unless you are military or LE. There are HK 416 uppers floating on the market if you wanted to pay anywhere from 2500 to 4500.00 per upper. Then the MR556 showed up a few years later, but it just lacks in Design and the price.. Oh God the price…. So the HK 416 continues to be an elusive item in my safe.

Earlier this year I saw CNC Guns producing a 80% billet HK 416 Clone receiver, at 350.00 dollars it was still a feasible deal for me in pursuit. I purchased the lower and it came in a few months later due to production. But once in my possession, I realized this was not a 80% receiver, other than the normal machining of 80% receiver, trigger pocket, various holes, I had to machine the front and rear pivot pin holes, the mag release hole, the bolt catch latch pin hole, and the buffer detain hole.

Then luck, it might seem, someone had a Titan Defense 416 clone upper for sale, so I jump on it as I finally can complete my HK416… but without using any HK parts.

Below are pictures of my build.

I replaced the standard forward assist with the large button assist.
    BCM's new trigger guard is easy ont eh eye.

I found a exact copy of the HK swivel front sight from an local airsoft shop...manufactured by VFC in Taiwan. during the Frank Proctor carbine process class last week, the sight tracked straight with the KAC 600m rear sight.

Bolt carrier is the same design as the Gen 1 HK 416 design minus the firing pin safety. This setup would allow you to run a standard AR trigger or a Gieselle SSA-E for example. This is interchangeable with the HK 416 bolt carrier.

Piston minus the gas ring. but a HK 416/G36 piston will also work.

Here is a kicker...

The Titan Defense upper is not an exact HK 416 upper clone, the receiver and rail interface is not compatible with the OEM HK rail nor the Gieselle Super Rail. Notice the height difference. And the rail tab will not mate with the recess in the receiver.

It's cheaper than the HK MR556, and it kind of continue from my HK modification path where I build a G36 from SL8 many years ago...... So what's next HK MP7?

Feedback Score
    While I would say nice job, I am here for the butt hurt.

Nice job just the same!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Original HK M4D....

Feedback Score
    Nice piece there SGM!

I kinda went the opposite direction: bought an MR556, sold the upper, and splurged (like REALLY splurged) on a 416 upper and put it on the MR lower. HK through and through. Sort of sickens me the amount of $$$ I have in it but what the hell, life is short! I don't have kids so that fvcker is getting buried with me.....at port arms!
    Last edited by ABNAK; 07-11-14 at 22:05.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    That's really cool. Wonder why they didn't spec the upper to mate with 416 handguards though.

If you make an MP7, you'll have everyone bugging you for one.

If only HK made one in .22Mag or .17HMR for the US market...
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very nice.
    What did that set you back if you don't mind be asking?
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I am very confused. Not trying to be a jerk, but how is a fake gun a win? Last few times I saw a Titan upper for sale, they were close to or exceeded the cost of an MR556 URK. A complete MR556 is $2500, which really isn't a big deal compared to some of the "boutique" gun companies out there.

A $350 partial lower that probably cost $500 at completion plus a high priced upper with at least one airsoft part that wont accept the single best upgrade for the system doesn't seem like a win to me. People whine all the time about how the MR556 isn't a real HK416, but it is a lot closer than anything else. It is still HK. Can't accept FA BCG, who cares? FA is lame for anything other than a subgun or belt fed. No chrome, more significant, but who is going salt water SCUBA diving with their gun or never doing basic maintenance? No one here.

I know this sounds like I am being a jerk, but that is not the intent. I genuinely want to see what it is I am missing. At the end of the day, your gun looks bad to the bone. If that was the desired end state, then I suppose it is winning.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Uh........Why?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    pssstttt.... 80% is a marketing term.

looks cool though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SMGLee View Post
    so what's next HK? MP7?
    A DI HK416 built mostly with HK parts.
    Last edited by carolvs; 07-12-14 at 12:06.
    “Live free or die; death is not the worst of evils.”
    - General John Stark, July 31, 1809

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast