Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a Quality Bag?

Feedback Score

What's a Quality Bag?

I've read different posts about starting your BOB/GHB/SHTF bag with a quality bag, but what makes a quality bag? The well-known brand name (5.11, Maxpedition, Kelty) or not so well-known (Condor, LAPG, etc.,)? The price, the fabric, storage? What's a quality bag? Thanks in advance!
    “We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

George Orwell

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is a very open ended question that could have many correct answers... frankly "it all depends"

"Mission drives the gear" applies. Is it 72 hour? Six weeks? Just to get home?

What is the intended purpose? What are you going to do with it? The name doesn't necessarily make or break the deal.

All that said, a 30 year old Alice pack you picked up for $15 may be perfect. Or is it a $700 Kifaru product? Maybe you just need a gym bag?

Generically speaking a lot of the new bags will use 1000D Cordura. Quality of construction (sewing, zippers and etc.) then apply. What about ergos? Try one on, put some weight into it and walk around.

Cordura is very durable but also heavy. So maybe a non-military looking backpack is what you want... something from Osprey or Gregory come to mind. Lightweight nylons, but not a long term durable. But much more comfy.

This is one of those personal choice things you'll have to research and decide for yourself which combo of quality. price, features and etc work best for you. There is a ton of stuff out there. Good Luck!

Feedback Score
    Sorry, let me narrow it down to a 72 hour bag. A lot of the posts will kind of leave it at a "quality bag," and then go into what to put in the bag, but not really give a whole lot of info to the bag itself.
    Last edited by kt1589; 07-14-14 at 15:58.
    “We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

George Orwell

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I would look at Kifaru. They make a great pack that will last a very long time. I have used them all over the world. Look at these that don't scream "tactical" :
    http://store.kifaru.net/mobile/urban...ters-p150.aspx

http://store.kifaru.net/mobile/late-...liters-p3.aspx

You really want something that is comfortable, capable of carrying a good load, and is make to endure abuse. That is why I can say Kifaru meets all of these and will come out on top. Down side, you get what you pay for.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have this one. Available in black so not so "look at me", as mentioned above.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/extend...ratorpack.aspx

"I don't carry a knife because God invented silencers for a reason. Also, I'm not in a dancing gang who goes to "rumbles"." ~ Sterling Archer

"Shooting a gun is like being intimate with a woman. First, you inspect it to make sure it's clean. Then you grab it on the butt and jam the magazine in. If it doesn't fit, make it." ~ Stan Smith

Feedback Score
    I just wish they would come out with colors like Navy blue or grey.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Stay away from cheap, made from inferiror materials, imported from Asia bags like 5.11, Blackhawk, Condor, etc. Stick with bags manufactured in the USA made from DuPont 1000 Denier (or 500 if you prefer lighter weight but there is no free lunch) Cordura nylon. Reputable US manufactures like Kifaru, Eberlestock, London Bridge Trading, Mayflower, HSGI, MSM, S.O. Tech, ATS, are good to go.

I have picked up several Eagle Ind's. A-III packs on sale for half price over the years, be on the look out and you can find good deals on made in the USA packs.

As for imported packs, I do have several Keltys that I like. Amron will run these on sale from time to time so sign up for their newsletter and sit back and wait for a sale.

http://www.kelty.com/p-264-map-3500.aspx
    http://www.amronintl.com/tactical-ge...html?brand=372
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Last edited by South; 01-23-15 at 23:34.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by South View Post
    One other I have is a LBT bag that is top ****ing notch, I have no doubts that it will last for most of my life if not all. Not the cheapest out there but LBT runs great sales throughout the year so lookout for those.

Grey Ghost, Kifaru, SORD, are all awesome packs as well as the ones already mentioned.
    No kidding on the London Bridge Trading packs, OP if you sign up on their site they run their 3-day packs ($215) on sale several times a year, they practically give them away! I've picked up multiple packs and loadout bags this way and have saved a ton of money.

Forgot about Grey Ghost, I have one of their Stealth Operator packs for EDC.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    double tap.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 07-19-14 at 11:13.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast