Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a Quality Bag?

Feedback Score
    I run the USGI Patrol Pack (Backpack) made by Specialty Defense Systems. It's beefy & has Molle loops for attaching other pouches & accessories. Surplus price is about $30. Comes in woodland camo only I believe.

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    For a 72-hour go-bag, I use a simple Patagonia "Black Hole" bag (durable large duffel with shoulder straps - I have a few from back in the Made-in-USA era). That bag is packed with stuff that is ready to go at a moments notice and is only gear that gets used in the event of an emergency/disaster/need-to-leave-home. I see no point in breaking the bank on a bag that sees very little use. I repack it every six months (as seasons dictate) and it otherwise lives 20' from the front door but does not see frequent use.

For a pack I use in the mountains every few weeks, I have a $650 backpack. I'll pay well if it's something that will see frequent use and needs to hold up to brushing against granite, off-trail mountaineering, etc . A go-bag "for when SHTF" that is going to sit idle 99% of it's life doesn't merit heavy expenditure as I see it. YMMV/IMHO/Etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hatidua View Post
    For a pack I use in the mountains every few weeks, I have a $650 backpack. I'll pay well if it's something that will see frequent use and needs to hold up to brushing against granite, off-trail mountaineering, etc . A go-bag "for when SHTF" that is going to sit idle 99% of it's life doesn't merit heavy expenditure as I see it. YMMV/IMHO/Etc.
    I have to strongly agree to this sentiment.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Let’s apply that view point to firearms, magazines, and ammunition. If 99% of us never us a firearm to defend ourselves, our families, and our hearth and home then why spend the money on quality firearms, components when you can save money and buy an Olympic AR and or say a Hi-Point handgun and Wolf ammo?

As stated YMMV, my advice to OP was to find a quality pack on the sale i.e. not going to break the bank however IF one needs the pack for some unforeseeable crisis your GTG and not having to deal with a pack blowing out on you or coming apart at the time you and or your family need it most.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Let’s apply that view point to firearms, magazines, and ammunition. If 99% of us never us a firearm to defend ourselves, our families, and our hearth and home then why spend the money on quality firearms, components when you can save money and buy an Olympic AR and or say a Hi-Point handgun and Wolf ammo?
    different realm/world-view/usage/not even remotely related.

As stated YMMV, my advice to OP was to find a quality pack on the sale i.e. not going to break the bank however IF one needs the pack for some unforeseeable crisis your GTG and not having to deal with a pack blowing out on you or coming apart at the time you and or your family need it most.
    Even chino-crap, which I'm not advocating, will get your gear from living room to SUV. There is absolutely no need for someone to buy a Mystery Ranch/Kifaru/Dana Designs/$900 MHW bag for something that won't see use but once in a blue moon. If you like supporting the various outdoor gear companies, by all means, whip out that Visa card but I don't see the point, as someone who has evac'd more situations than I'd like to recall.

(disclaimer: I'm on the pro-deal with the above listed companies and own the gear from each but don't see the need for joe-citizen to fork out $2K on bags to store bandaids that might not ever get used)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    different realm/world-view/usage/not even remotely related.
    I apply the same thought process to the items that I may have to depend upon rather its a Surefire light over a big box store clamshell special or a pair Asolos over some department store hikers.

Even chino-crap, which I'm not advocating, will get your gear from living room to SUV. There is absolutely no need for someone to buy a Mystery Ranch/Kifaru/Dana Designs/$900 MHW bag for something that won't see use but once in a blue moon. If you like supporting the various outdoor gear companies, by all means, whip out that Visa card but I don't see the point, as someone who has evac'd more situations than I'd like to recall.

(disclaimer: I'm on the pro-deal with the above listed companies and own the gear from each but don't see the need for joe-citizen to fork out $2K on bags to store bandaids that might not ever get used)
    I think we are saying the same thing here amigo. I'm not advocating anyone going into debt on a pack they hopefully will never have to use. I'm just saying that its possible to find good deals on quality kit. Some examples of my finds off the top of my head, LBT 3-Day assault pack normally $200+ I scored for $59, LBT large wheeled loadout bag normally $500+ I picked up for $99, Eagle A-III MOLLEs normally $180+ I scored for $79.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I guess it depends on your specific needs.

I spent a lot of time looking at BoB's, the cheap, inexpensive, the mid-range and the expensive. I finally settled on the 5.11 Rush 72. I liked the support system, the wide straps, the way that they connected the strap to the bag, the fact that there were plenty of organization through the pack (they have a bunch of zippered, mesh pouches on the inside, which is great! It's something I can comfortably trek around in the woods in, for extended amounts of time.

With that being said, they can be a bit spend ($150-$170 new). However, I waited for a few lightly used ones to pop up on Ebay and paid around $220 shipped for two bags that look damn near brand new and one included a Gerber LMFII with it.

When I went too buy a "get home bag", I realistically thought about it. I am 2 miles from home and my wife is 2.5 miles for work and school. We rarely travel much further than that and if we do, we throw in our 72 hour bags. If anything bad were to happen and my wife or I needed to get home, it would be a pretty quick endeavor. I sacrificed some quality, due to the fact that the bag won't realistically be used very long and if the needed arose for a better bag, they would be close. I bought the Condor Compact assault pack. I scarified quite a bit in quality (the sticking isn't as nice, the zippers aren't heavy duty, etc). But paying $30 shipped as opposed to $100 shipped for the 5.11 Rush 12's, allowed me to pretty much stock it up and get the bag, for the same price of a more quality bag. I went into it knowing I will eventually upgrade and will delegate the two condor bags to camping gear once that happens.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    light/good/cheap - pick any two...

to a point, what you pay for in the high end bag is better materials and construction. getting something cheap for hard use is false economy as it will wear out quicker and probably not even be as capable in the first place as a good/expensive product.

a true bugout bag, IMO, should be able to take anything you can anticipate and beyond. the term bugging out connotes leaving the safety of your home and venturing into the unknown and for that I want something that can handle anything.

on the other hand, I have a get-home bag in every vehicle. since this will be an emergency/single use type application to get me back to safety and supplies, I feel ok with a cheaper alternative here. it won't be the lightest, it won't last for years or handle any excessive demands because it only has to get me home with the stuff I pre-loaded into it. and if it gets stolen from my car, it's cheap...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    I use an Eberlestock pack for hunting and a recent trip abroad. I find the brand to be very well designed and tough. I'd say they are a good value dollar wise.

My unit issued me a couple sizes of Mystery Ranch, big and REALLY big. They are definitely high quality but I haven't put them to hard use yet. First impression of them is that they are not as comfortable as my Eberlestock.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Last edited by South; 01-23-15 at 23:35.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast