Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What's a Quality Bag?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have 2 Alice packs with frames I got off ebay for 15 bucks a piece. I also have a 3 day pack from LAPG http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat...backpack1.html I can tell you now I ran that LAPG bag for a few long range trips and also some all day family outings and it sucked. For weight distribution it was pretty much a scale of 0. It may have been my fault as I did have A LOT of crap packed into it. Not to say the bag isn't made tough though. It's a great bag and it's pretty big for the price. I will use it for a normal 3 day pack maybe filled with some clothes and basics. What kind of weight are you guys running in most of these packs you are speaking of? I would like to try some of the Maxpedition ones.
    Last edited by St.Michael; 08-25-14 at 08:56.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeTagger6552 View Post
    Anyone know of a backpack that will accommodate an AR upper.... 23.75'' long?
    Eastern mountain Sports! My Boda 70 Holds 3 Ars.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12447117

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

London Bridge Trading has their 3-Day Assault packs in MAS Grey on sale for Labor Day $79. Had to pick up another one at that price!

http://lbtinc.com/lday-14/standard-t...ault-pack.html
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    What size bag is everyone looking at for a GHB/ short term BUG? Is the 1800 cc range about right?

Moose-Knuckle, the LBT bag you linked looks adequate, but it's listed as being only 8" deep. Do you find the size and layout of the bag to be big enough for your needs? I really like the price of that bag, and I even like the color. But their web site doesn't show any photo's of the interior of the bag.

I'm looking to set up something for the cars so that I could grab it and walk home if necessary (30 miles by interstate, so worse case, doubling that by going cross country).

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Ilbe system is good. Alice packs. Molle II ruck with gen 4 frame

Feedback Score
    just upgraded my daypack. I picked it because it has a place for my flyrod tube, my Kelly kettle, designed for strapping on my rifle and it will hold a lot more stuff than my old one.

Of course it will be my bailout bag loaded at all times with all that little stuff we can't do without. I still think of things to add. What kind of soap do you guys have in your bailout bag?

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/op...itka-flash-32/

Sitka Flash 32 anyone have any experience with it?

Last edited by rcoodyar15; 11-27-14 at 07:09.

Feedback Score
    Guess I'm just a tightazz... I got this one mainly because my 14.5 AR fits great.... You could most likely get a 16'' in there depending on your fh. Pretty durable for $45.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Every-Day-...g-ACU/33457821
    Last edited by ToeTagger6552; 11-27-14 at 09:14. Reason: Forgot link

Feedback Score
    Look at backpacking and mountaineering bags from reputable sources that actually supply to mountaineers. Get one that REALLY fits you.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDawg46L View Post
    This thread has one foot in the grave, but I'll add my .02 since it is viable topic and seems to come up quite frequently.

Moose and Doc nailed it to the wall but I will reiterate what they said and add a little of my own experience.

I've had the TT Operator pack. Nice, lightweight, good construction and materials. Decent quick-hike or EDC pack for very light loads. Got rid of it b/c it didn't hold everything I wanted to carry on full day hikes. I'm not sure about their larger packs from experience, but I'm sure they are made with the same quality construction.

I also had a Spec-Ops THE pack. While I'm sure the construction of the pack would survive a plane crash, it was not comfy at all with any kind of load. I also used the pack frame, which helped keep the pack from sagging but still didn't help the comfort. The straps are too square and the waist belt does not take any of the load off of your shoulders. It just kept the pack from swaying if I were moving quickly or running.

Next I moved onto a Kifaru X-Ray. Took me a year of researching packs and trying to justify the price to myself.

Kifaru or Hill People Gear packs will be all that I invest in from now on. I own a Kifaru X-Ray and some of the quick-attach pockets on the outside, as well as their admin pouch. It is the best construction I've ever seen in nylon gear. It is heavy, but the suspension system is simply outstanding. I use the molle version, and have a non-padded molle belt so carrying a load is very comfortable. Just using the pack, I can carry my 3L Camelbak bladder and a 1.5 days of clothing and supplies. Utilizing the outer pockets that I added, it is a good 3-day pack if I pack carefully. If I want to carry a light load around town or pack it out for a get-home or bug-out bag, it cinches down pretty snug. It is a great all around pack that I will likely own the rest of my life if it doesn't get stolen or lost.

You really just don't know how well thought out the Kifaru products are until you have one in your hands, or better yet, on your back.

I took a nasty spill on the down slope of a slick rock while hiking in the Appalachians. I landed strangely, sort of on the bottom of the pack. The waist belt held me up and prevented me from hitting my tailbone on the rock, which is about 99% likely to have broken it and we were 4 miles from our cabin. Would have sucked if I was sporting some cheap china-made pack with crap construction that broke when it hit the rock.

I'm also looking at trying a Hill People Gear Tara for a lighter hiking/EDC pack so that I can keep my Kifaru loaded up the way I like it. I have one of their Recon Kit Bags and it is also made with the same durable construction and attention to detail as the Kifaru stuff. If I'm not mistaken, HPG was started by some former Kifaru employees.

Hope this helps anyone else who has been eye-balling the Kifaru stuff but hadn't pulled the trigger because of the price. There's quite a few nice packs out there besides Kifaru, but I haven't found any reason to try them.
    I have a THE with frame as well. Tried it once with a load with the frame, and once without.
    Took me 15 minutes of wear each time, and a few weeks of pack research to convince me that a Kifaru was probably worth it....
    It's now a tossup between a TT EROP and Kifaru Xing. The wallet says EROp but the brain says Xing... decisions decisions...

Seriously though- for anyone contemplating a THE or one of the LAPG ripoffs.... Just stop right now. Take the money and put it toward another pack that actually works- doesn't have to be a super high-end pack- just one that works.
    Accursed THE made 25 lb. feel like 40.... I've been more comfortable in LBE that weighed more then 25lb....
    And that was going to be my basic BOB- apparently all the folks with pictures of them loaded up to the max have never put them on...

Quote Originally Posted by uwe1 View Post
    The Maxpedition product line is pretty good, and I've taken mine hiking and hunting numerous times. However, the majority of their packs scream gun-owner to most people who own guns and look "military" to most people who don't.

I've pretty much ditched the few Versipacks I've purchased for this very reason.
    Maybe already common knowledge, but apparently maxped. packs do not run the size they say- have heard from multiple sources that the stated Cu. In. should be underestimated when buying....
    And yeah- Maxped if pretty much synonymous with gun owners- unfortunately generally the less competent as well.....
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    I have a THE with frame as well. Tried it once with a load with the frame, and once without.
    Took me 15 minutes of wear each time, and a few weeks of pack research to convince me that a Kifaru was probably worth it....
    It's now a tossup between a TT EROP and Kifaru Xing. The wallet says EROp but the brain says Xing... decisions decisions...

Seriously though- for anyone contemplating a THE or one of the LAPG ripoffs.... Just stop right now. Take the money and put it toward another pack that actually works- doesn't have to be a super high-end pack- just one that works.
    Accursed THE made 25 lb. feel like 40.... I've been more comfortable in LBE that weighed more then 25lb....
    And that was going to be my basic BOB- apparently all the folks with pictures of them loaded up to the max have never put them on...

Maybe already common knowledge, but apparently maxped. packs do not run the size they say- have heard from multiple sources that the stated Cu. In. should be underestimated when buying....
    And yeah- Maxped if pretty much synonymous with gun owners- unfortunately generally the less competent as well.....
    In Spec-Ops Brand's defense, they do make very good kit with some unique features, but all of it is very purpose-built. The THE pack and straps are made to be worn with armor, hence why they are very squared. For a hiking pack or EDC pack, mehhh, not so much.

Tapatalk'd

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast