Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What's a Quality Bag?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm a little late in responding to this, but this is an interesting subject for me. I know the tendency is to think of the "bug out on foot" scenario, or grabbing something on short notice, but with two small kids, I'm also trying to expand to the scenario where I have several hours notice, such as a hurricane evacuation. I want to start planning out what I would load into the car on short notice that will support our growing family for a week or longer evacuation, and while I have a number of "tough boxes" or other hard plastic trunks, I think some types of bags are much better suited for this scenario.

If money is no object (I know, it always is), the Sherpa Deployment Bag from Force Protector Gear has served me well. Army units have been buying these for deploying soldiers in recent years to replace the old school duffle bag, and while I wasn't fortunate enough to have been issued one, I bought one for myself before my current trip overseas because I needed a big bag anyway and decided it would serve me well in terms of personal preparation. For full disclosure, a friend of mine works for the company, but I learned about the bags and wanted to acquire one before he went to work there - I had just been holding out hoping that I'd get issued one!

I bought a black one, so it would be a little more non-descript when traveling overseas that the various camo patterns or Coyote. The bag has thick padding on the sides, sturdy rollers, handles for lifting on each end, and a decent loop at one end for towing / dragging the bag on its rollers. The inside of the lid has a number of mesh organizer pockets. It also includes backpack straps in case you're crazy enough to carry it that way (I removed those straps and stored them).

On the downside, aside from it being really expensive, it's a heavy bag (13 lbs empty) so it's really only good for moving to and from a car (leaving and arriving at your destination). However, loaded with clothes, baby supplies, etc., my wife and I should be able to lift it into the back of an SUV and scoot out of town. I'm going to take a look at keeping it pre-packed with essential clothes, blankets, etc. in case we need to leave home in a hurry.

I don't necessarily want to advocate for this particular bag, because of the price, but I think it's a good idea to consider this type of large roller bag as part of your "third line" of gear to have prepared for contingencies when you have more time and the capability (i.e. a car) to take more with you.

Dave
    Last edited by 3ACR_Scout; 07-15-20 at 14:14.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    I don't necessarily want to advocate for this particular bag, because of the price, but I think it's a good idea to consider this type of large roller bag as part of your "third line" of gear to have prepared for contingencies when you have more time and the capability (i.e. a car) to take more with you.

Dave
    I hate ACU anything but couldn't pass up a LBT Deployment Bag when they clearance them down to $99, they go for over $400. Some guys were lucky and scored them in MC and CB for that price.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Seriously???

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kt1589 View Post
    I've read different posts about starting your BOB/GHB/SHTF bag with a quality bag, but what makes a quality bag? The well-known brand name (5.11, Maxpedition, Kelty) or not so well-known (Condor, LAPG, etc.,)? The price, the fabric, storage? What's a quality bag? Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by kt1589 View Post
    Sorry, let me narrow it down to a 72 hour bag. A lot of the posts will kind of leave it at a "quality bag," and then go into what to put in the bag, but not really give a whole lot of info to the bag itself.
    I'm sort of torn on the subject as a BOB/GHB/SHTF bag could be sitting for years unused, but then when you need it failure or breakdown really isn't an option. I think materials and construction define quality and experience with regular or hard use without failure define reliability both characteristics top on the list choosing a bag. Brands that embody these two are numerous, Kifaru, HPG, Patagonia BH mentioned here plus many more give a user the ability to adjust for cost, the bottom priority IMHO.

For me Hill People Gear and their manufacturer First Spear use quality materials constructed well for intended and unintended use with multiple options depending on what you're trying to accomplish. They also use their gear and provide instruction, ideas and feedback on multiple uses for their products and of course their price points I'm comfortable paying. Their Tara pack and the next few up in size are my daily bags, hard use bags and emergency bags. Assuming the brand/manufacturer chosen meets those characteristics, your equipment needs and at the cost you're comfortable with I'd say you're GTG.

Another sign of quality, reliable gear is price on the resale market and how close to dumping one has to go to get rid of said equipment. Higher and quicker observed resale is another indicator of how the brand/equipment is valued by others and a good data point for validating your choice.
    Last edited by ndmiller; 06-27-20 at 08:42.

Feedback Score
    FWIW, I'm partial to LL Bean's day packs and have used their Ridge Runner pack for several years as a day hiking bag and for light overnight camping trips. I also load it with weights for conditioning hikes. A lot of use as a carryon for business travel. When not in use for hiking, it's my GHB I throw in my truck. I don't know if the current builds are as good as they were a few years ago, but it's been bombproof for me. And relatively cheap if you buy it during one of Bean's seasonal rebate deals. Very non-tactical and non-military looking, which is what I wanted in a GHB. Currently $100. Their Game Warden backpack is pretty sweet for $20 more.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    if you are looking for a bag, a quality bag take a look at TAD. worth the money and made in the USA

https://tripleaughtdesign.com/shop/fast-pack-edc/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been issued 3 or 4 SOC bags in the military, and I've broken them all just in normal day to do day use, so definitely not them. I've been using a Nike backpack for the last 8 months or so and it's held up well and I really like the fact it doesn't scream "tacti-cool."
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    I like the London Bridge Trading 3 day packs. Just wish it was big enough to put a full size laptop into for work.

Feedback Score
    Anything but sneakybags.com, purchased one some time ago, ended up using it as dirty laundry bag so as just not to throw it out. Cheap, thinly made pos.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I run 3 different brands for my GHB. I have a Eberlestock Switchblade Pack as my "Leave it till I need it" GHB in my Jeep. I use a Direct Action Dragon Egg for my work EDC, and can use it as my GHB if I can't get to my Jeep, or if my wife or other family members are with me when traveling. Then I use a Triple Aught Design Fast Pack LiteSpeed and/or Fast Pack Scout bags for when I go out for recreational time such as going to the beach, a hike or family members house also can be used as a GHB. Out of all the packs TAD's are the most expensive bags.

The Eberlestock pack is the newest pack for me. I am impressed with this pack, so far, it is well built and comfortable to wear. It is not too big or too small for "me". It replaced my Cannae Legion pack

Eberlestock
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084WZH7ML...ding=UTF8&th=1

Drqagon Eggs is comfortable to wear when going to work, (use to commute). It is the heaviest bag out of the 3. I have my computer along with a Level 3 plate, including the basics gear that i have in all my bags.

Dragon Egg:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Triple Aught Design is litespeed is great for hiking because it fits flat on my back, well built but expensive.
    Triple Aught Design:
    https://tripleaughtdesign.com/shop/fast-pack-litespeed/
    https://tripleaughtdesign.com/shop/f...ecial-edition/

I always by the best bag you can afford, but if you buy. but get a good quality bag is my best advice.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast