Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chest Rig 101- Introduction to the Art of the Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    You should look at a split front rig. I would look at the Tactical Tailor Split Front MAV, put a X Harness on it and you can set it up a thousand different ways. Hell, I got a wild hair up my as one time and set up that same rig just like my old school LBE was set up back in the stone age, canteens and all........
    Awesome. By the way where should I carry my geritol?

This aging thing is for the birds.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    Awesome. By the way where should I carry my geritol?

This aging thing is for the birds.

Try this pouch.....LOL....

http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/po...ch-12PG00.html

In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Posts like this is why we need a karma system on the board. GGGGRRRRAAAANNNTTTTTT!
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Docsherm thanks for putting this together. I've been interested in setting up a very simple chest rig for quite a while now, but I've never been sure where to even start. A lot of good information here. I look forward to seeing what else you add on the subject.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Doc, Thanks for this thread. Very informative. Retired mil (2 branches) and pretty lost on options past LBE & alice. PM inbound.

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    Great post, and thanks for doing it.

I had a very tough time making up my mind about what to go with, especially because I knew I wouldn't have the opportunity to try out a bunch of options. I knew I wanted something that could work with both AR and AK mags, since I use both systems. I was leaning toward a minimalist HSGI rig when I discovered 7.62Tactical. I read a lot of good things about their products. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted ,so had Colin make me a custom chest rightly combined elements of two that he had on his website. While I now wish I had gone with multicam instead of coyote, I am pleased with the rig. I supplement it with a taco on my belt, along with a few other items. Colin isn't super speedy, and his lack of response to emails can, at times, be unnerving, but I like what he built for me, which is a non-modular design.

Anyway, this is a great thread. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the write up, I have been looking for a dedicated AK chest rig. BCS seems to have some good stuff with a split front AK rig.
    USMC VETERAN
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Proelium Comminos Auctoritate

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Chest Rig 101- Introduction to the Art of the Chest Rig

Doc, I'm not an assaulter, just a middle aged home defender. Other than my obvious need to find a better pistol location (still trying to figure out where or if I want a pistol holster) critique this setup that is designed around my three main cartridges I would use in various bad scenarios.

Please critique or offer improvement suggestions for this hastily put together setup. That is somewhat also intended to be a throw in the vehicle and have a variety of rounds at hand for different weapons. I'm not real big and can manage the weight just fine for the intended purpose.

I'm sure there are some 101 level mistakes here that others can potentially learn from along with me. I've never put one together until recently.

Last edited by HKGuns; 09-11-14 at 22:02.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Doc, I'm not an assaulter, just a middle aged home defender. Other than my obvious need to find a better pistol location (still trying to figure out where or if I want a pistol holster) critique this setup that is designed around my three main cartridges I would use in various bad scenarios.

Please critique or offer improvement suggestions for this hastily put together setup. That is somewhat also intended to be a throw in the vehicle and have a variety of rounds at hand for different weapons. I'm not real big and can manage the weight just fine for the intended purpose.

I'm sure there are some 101 level mistakes here that others can potentially learn from along with me. I've never put one together until recently.
    I'm not Doc, and I'm not an expert either, but having gone through a lot of similar gear for a similar role, maybe I can help by asking a few questions;

First off, the pistol holster-
    You mention intent is a "toss in vehicle" kit. Is this like a farm/offroad vehicle, or your daily driver?
    In your state can you CCW? If so maybe you could ditch the MOLLE holster in favor of your EDC piece on your belt line?
    If not, I guess you could just store the handgun in another holster, and stick it on your belt when needed.

Actually, I'm just going to come out and say it- I've found those universal MOLLE holsters to be universally awful.
    I'm sure you could find a better option than that for you secondary, that you could mount on your belt line with relative ease- G-code is pretty cheap and has a number of mounting options....Or Safariland if you need more of a drop/offset to work around pouches and such. That way you can have a better draw, and free up valuable MOLLE space on your CR.

Per the " three main cartridges I would use in various bad scenarios".
    Do you have ALL three firearms on you or accessible at all times? Or are you planning on "battlefield pickup" or such? Do you run 3-gun competitions with this?
    If not, it seems you could ditch some items.
    What is your go-to long weapon- shotgun or rifle?
    Again, depending on your chosen go-to, you could ditch some ammo. I'm guessing by the load out your primary is a rifle.
    In that case, how far is 6 rounds of shotgun ammo really going to get you? Especially since you're probably not going to be carrying all three weapons at the same time...right?

Also tying in with the previous on ammo is that you can consolidate the space you use on your rig a little- for example, (and I'm totally going with the obvious based on the picture, so it's just a guesstimation), let's say you ditch the shotgun ammo. You now have 2 extra MOLLE slots on your rig- rejoice!.
    Now I also hate (personal opinion alert!)the combo 3 rifle/3 pistol mag pouches. It's kind of a waste of space considering you could mount 6 pistol mags in the MOLLE space they use to mount three...
    Three ways you could go here-

1) Use a single-stack triple or quad M4 shingle, and then use the available frontal MOLLE space to better effect- you can now mount your pistol mags, secondary handheld light, Multitool/folder, TQ, etc. without needing the sideways pistol pouch on the bib (I'm coming for that one later...). Hell, you could even slap on a few shotgun shells if you feel you need them. You would also now have 3-4 slots on each side for other essentials such as an IFAK and general purpose/sustainment stuff.

2) Use a triple double-stack M4 flapped or bungee pouch- think about it- an M4 mag + Glock mag is easily the width of a pair of stacked M4 mags, right? You could consolidate your Primary mags into one spot instead of taking up room everywhere. Plus with this method you are now guaranteed 4 slots of MOLLE on each side of the rig- depending on your needs, you can mount more or larger pouches to 4 spaces of MOLLE than you can with three. However, personally I refuse to have less then 2 secondary mags on my rig, so you will use 2 slots there. However, if you're clever you can use the space behind them for either a 7th M4 mag, or a small fixed blade knife (unfortunately GP pouches generally seem to sag with pistol mags mounted to them).

3)Single M4 2x mag shingle with your pistol mags/light/kinfe/ etc. pouches on front, then 2 double stack M4 mags on either side, leaves you with 3 MOLLE slots on each side (see SKD's chest rig as an example)

So either way here, you can consolidate your gear and gain more use out of your available space.

Per the bib, I don't know what your intended use is there, but with 2 of the 3 above setup suggestions, you could ditch the horizontal single mag pouch, which means you may not need it at all.
    I'm not a big fan of bib mounted stuff in general, but I can see the utility especially on a chest rig with limited space. Personally I would lean toward a small pouch that would enable me to hold a few more items, as opposed to just a flat "ID/Patch panel" pouch- more like a "map, compass, pencil/marker and similar assorted goodies" as opposed to just a flat ID/patch panel pouch. Or you could do a couple small individual pouches, for example if you had a small/flat enough GPS, and then a pouch for your compass/markers/etc. However, the thing is here to NOT mount a pouch so big it interferes with you drawing your primary magazines... It's a fine line- you'll have to experiment with what works for you- and this kind of goes for everything mentioned here.
    Maybe you already have it- just putting out some extra ideas that I hope help you out.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 09-14-14 at 14:42.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks, lots to consider! Just read and am still digesting. Appreciate all the time and thought that went into your response.

I agree completely on the Universal pistol holsters, I have three and they all suck. Yes I have a CPL and many other holsters and I plan on taking that off first. -Good call!

Do you have ALL three firearms on you or accessible at all times?
    Yes.

In that case, how far is 6 rounds of shotgun ammo really going to get you?
    That is 20 rounds of 00 buck and slugs. Does that change your view?

I'll have to think about your other suggestions. When I accumulated these items it wasn't at all clear to me I would run out of space so quickly. Good thought starters and thanks again!
    Last edited by HKGuns; 09-15-14 at 20:34.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast