Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Chest Rig 101- Introduction to the Art of the Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Looks like Part II will Be Chest Rigs vs. Battle Belts. I will work it up and post in a new thread so as not to get these confused.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Looks like Part II will Be Chest Rigs vs. Battle Belts. I will work it up and post in a new thread so as not to get these confused.
    Awesome. I can't wait to read it. And thank you again for taking the time to do this.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Great. Im sure many of us have read this and not commented. Some day Id love to hear thoughts of PC vs. chest rig, but no rush. I have all three, fiddling with all without a clear purpose.

Feedback Score
    I'm in the mind set that if you have a PC (with plates) put it all on there. If you don't then you don't. In the case of chest rig vs. belts, I'm sold on the chest rig. It's easier to access from more if not all positions and it's easier to take off in case of squeezing through right spaces or being confined. I used the tactical tailor mav for years and many deployments and loved it. I then went to plate carrier and never looked back. I think it can start with availability of what you have. Also go through dry runs of all gear, then maneuver into different positions, then low light then etc....train , train train, muscle memory is key. Just my $.02. I'm not the end all be all by any means .

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    To anyone that would like to opine on the following please do so.

With the advent of the sig brace the notion of being able to have in close proximity to my person a viable AR configuration for defensive purposes becomes a much more attractive option. I envision that in addition to my regular ccw pistol load out transporting a suitable load out for the AR makes sense even if it is going to be packed away in a backpack in the back seat (think folding brace option) or in a pelican case in my trunk.

As such, I would think that a low profile chest rig that is quick to don and still be discreet is the way to go since it could still be concealed under a light jacket or sweatshirt even.

Something along the lines of the following maybe? I'm a fan of the wolf grey color personally.

BFG SPLITminus and ten speed pouches. Figure 4 AR mags, two pistol mags, and a small IFAK of some sort.

BFG-SPLITminus-with-TenSpeed-460x304.jpg

Or all said and done would first line belt set up still be the way to go?

I already have a TYR PICO PC and Crye first line belt but obviously none of those qualify as discreet.
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 12-16-14 at 21:30.

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post

With the advent of the sig brace the notion of being able to have in close proximity to my person a viable AR configuration for defensive purposes becomes a much more attractive option. I envision that in addition to my regular ccw pistol load out transporting a suitable load out for the AR makes sense even if it is going to be packed away in a backpack in the back seat (think folding brace option) or in a pelican case in my trunk.

As such, I would think that a low profile chest rig that is quick to don and still be discreet is the way to go since it could still be concealed under a light jacket or sweatshirt even.

Something along the lines of the following maybe? I'm a fan of the wolf grey color personally.

BFG SPLITminus and ten speed pouches. Figure 4 AR mags, two pistol mags, and a small IFAK of some sort.

I already have a TYR PICO PC and Crye first line belt but obviously none of those qualify as discreet.
    I think you have to first consider your "mission". I like the AR pistol with Sig Brace. If you plan to keep it handy/car gun/etc., I think a better bet than a "low -viz" chest rig would be a bag. If you have a short barrel on the AR and utilize something like the LawTac folder, you can get it into a pretty small sling bag with a couple of spare mags, blow out kit, spare light, water bottle, etc. This would be much more covert.

I also think you should rethink how much ammo you need. I recently took a Paul Howe class (he's a big fan of the concept outlined above, by the way), and he said he basically assigns 3 rounds per bad guy. So, if you do your part, one thirty round mag deals with 10 bad guys, two mags deals with 20, etc. How many bad guys do you expect to face? Even if faced with Mumbai or Kenyan Mall issues, I would think a mag in the gun and 2 spares will do you nicely. More and your mobility will suffer.

I think all of the above applies if you are Joe Blo civilian. If you are something else, then reevaluate.

Feedback Score
    Excellent thread. Thanks for the very well presented responses - this is an excellent resource.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post

I have a BFG 10 Speed chest rig with mine. I have several of the old 6 pocket models and have 4 mags and small Med kits in the far side pouches. It is very low viz and can be worn under a bulky shirt.

As for bags. They also work well in those situations. I prefer a chest rig because that is the location that I ALWAYS go to for a mag to change it. I train for pure muscle memory on mag changes. I have worked in several low viz areas and while others use bags I always use a chest rig.

If you are going to use a low viz chest rig you MUST practice with it. Always have it is the same location and practice getting it on in several different ways. As in with both hands, with one hand, on the run, and sitting in your car. What ever you choose make sure you practice with it. People practice with their weapons all of the time but usually lack in practicing with their gear.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Points well noted Doc, thanks for the insight.

Feedback Score
    Doc, I have just re-read your post several times and wanted to thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences with the various styles of chest rigs you discussed. There are so many companies and options to choose from - this will end up saving many of us a lot of time and hard earned money. Very well and clearly presented to. I impatiently await your next two gear courses!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast