Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chest Rig 101- Introduction to the Art of the Chest Rig

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I a glad that they help. I am working on my next one and I hope that it is as informative.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Doscherm (and anyone else with experience) I'm curious what your thoughts are on this setup for a basic, first time chest rig.

http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/do...bo-98DTC0.html

And I'm still very much looking forward to seeing your next installment on the subject.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Doscherm (and anyone else with experience) I'm curious what your thoughts are on this setup for a basic, first time chest rig.

And I'm still very much looking forward to seeing your next installment on the subject.
    That is a great rig to start with. It is adaptable and lightweight. It is also HSGI, so you know it is built like a tank. It has everything you need for a class and a SHTF rig. Ammo and an IFAK are the basics. The more you mess with them then you will figure out if you need to carry more stuff or not.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    That is a great rig to start with. It is adaptable and lightweight. It is also HSGI, so you know it is built like a tank. It has everything you need for a class and a SHTF rig. Ammo and an IFAK are the basics. The more you mess with them then you will figure out if you need to carry more stuff or not.
    Thanks. I'll give it a try. I've been very impressed with the stuff I've gotten from HSG so far.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post

I was looking at a simpler chest rig myself but I am now debating between the hsgi combo deal or a tactical tailor mini mav with an esstac 3rifle 3pistol kiwi combo with the hsgi bleeder pouch.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post
    I was looking at a simpler chest rig myself but I am now debating between the hsgi combo deal or a tactical tailor mini mav with an esstac 3rifle 3pistol kiwi combo with the hsgi bleeder pouch.
    I run the value combo. I am very pleased. I modifies it though. Instead of 3x double decker pistol/ rifle I traders the last for a rifle/rifle double decker. I then added the shotgun shell holder on the front of that. Only 2x pistol carriers, but mow I can carry shotgun shells and an extra rifle mag.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by quino171 View Post
    I run the value combo. I am very pleased. I modifies it though. Instead of 3x double decker pistol/ rifle I traders the last for a rifle/rifle double decker. I then added the shotgun shell holder on the front of that. Only 2x pistol carriers, but mow I can carry shotgun shells and an extra rifle mag.

I've been debating for a while over what to buy to start with as far as a chest rig goes. If you compare the cost of the HSG combo deal vs. buying the same pieces individually, you're basically getting the bleeder pouch for free. I figure why not try it out and if I don't care for that pouch I could probably sell it for $20 or so in the EE.

I've also been looking at an IFAK for my battle belt, chest rig, range bag, whatever, etc. and I saw a thread in the Emergency First Aid section of the forum where a lot of people recommend the Dark Star DARK IFAK. I asked a question there what people's opinion is of the pouch it comes in if you buy the complete kit, but noone has responded yet.
    Steve

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks!!! Great writeup and tons of great info but I've got a question as I'm currently running an HSGI battle belt with HSGI tacos and G code RTI so I can swap my holsters around...been thinking of adding a chest rig but I can't decide if I want a rig or a plate carrier?

I see the benefits of the rigs(lower profile, comfort, cost) but I also think that if shit ever really did get bad and I actually needed to utilize any of this stuff for something other than a class or comp, I'd want a plate carrier and I'd want to have trained with and be familiar with it.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Both. Have a plate carrier when funds are available. I have a full plate carrier set up like I had in Afghanistan. I also run the above described HSGI chest rig. One for travel and one for shtf.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is a really timely thread for me. I've been thinking about a chest rig vs. torso armor lately. Sounds like I might want to get both. I think I will start with the HGSI chest rig, since I really like the way it's set up, and get a vest/PC later on.

My question for Doc (or whoever has experience) is, what about an armor vest and carrier with plate pockets (like the PROMax tactical vest on bulletproofme.com), versus just a PC with plates? Seems like the soft armor would provide increased protection, especially on the sides. Better? Or too restrictive?
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 03-20-15 at 21:15.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast