Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broke my M&P

Feedback Score

Broke my M&P

I was my Depts weekly range session and i noticed my M&P starting having problems. The slide was locking back with two to three rounds still left in the mag, and once those last rounds were fired the slide would fail to lock back! I had our armorer take a quick look at the firearm and he noticed a sizeable chunk of the polymer had been broke off the frame as well as a crack in the frame (on hte interior of the frame) just forward of the takedown lever. Luckily I live about a five minute drive from the factory. The Guard at the main gate told me that because this is my duty weapon that they will have it back to me by friday when I go back to work!

-DM-

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Wow! Are they replacing the frame or repairing the polymer???

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is no way to properly repair injection molded plastics once they fracture. At least none that I know that I would trust my life to.

My bet is that Dick gets a new frame free, courtesy of Smith & Wesson.

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    That's what I was thinking, but I wonder if they'll keep the same serial number.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBody View Post
    That's what I was thinking, but I wonder if they'll keep the same serial number.
    I read about something simular on the Xd forums...S.A. replaced the frame, and he got the same serial# but with a "R" added to it to indcate a replacement frame....

Feedback Score
    I was also told to expect a phone call tomorrow regarding the issue, so we will se what is going to take place. The armorer at work was saying they will probably jsut replace the whole firearm, but hopefully it wont come to that. Even though that may be the quickest most simple route.

-DM-

ToddG Guest
    Off the top of my head, I think there has been one (but possibly two) reports of this at the mp-pistol forum over the past couple of years. It's extremely rare but it happens. On the positive side, you know S&W won't tell you it was caused by limp wristing.

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)

Question

DM,

How many rounds did you have fired through your MP? Which caliber....40 S&W?

Cheers,
    NoBody

Feedback Score
    Let us know how it turns out!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBody View Post
    DM,

How many rounds did you have fired through your MP? Which caliber....40 S&W?

Cheers,
    NoBody
    It is a 40. I really can not give an reliable and accurate round count. If I have to guess its above 5000. My dept offers free ammo and range time every Monday (which is nice because we purchase the firearm) to officers who wish to improve on their skills. I usually shoot anywhere from 300-600 rounds every time I go, which for the most part is every week but there have been streches of two to three weeks when I have been unable to make it due to overtime or other issues. I know this sounds like a offer to good to be true (given the free ammo and all), and you would think there would be a high turnout for this. But in reality very few officers show up and the ones that do are regulars and it drives the instructors nuts because the ones that should be there aren't and the ones who are, are all decent to high skill level shooters.

As of 0300 on Wed (time of this post) I still have yet to hear anything from Smith. Hopefully I will hear something from them during the normal human hours of operation aka when Im sleeping.
    -DM-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast