I've been playing with different configurations of this rifle for years but always putting an emphasis on intermediate range shooting as opposed to using it up close. Last year I shot in a local NRA National Defense Match and the limitations of the previous configuration became very apparent about six seconds into my first stage. The performed awesome when I was engaging targets from 100 to 600 yards but the challenge was created when I was trying to engage very close targets on the move with my scope set on 2.5X. I made due though and actually finished out the match surprisingly well but I knew changes had to be made.

One of the most glaring deficiencies was that I had a hard time engaging close targets using the NF 2.5-10 on its lowest setting, it was doable but I wasted seconds acquiring my target. I wanted an alternate sighting system that I could used to quickly engage the close stuff and then transition back to more magnification for longer shots. Another issue that I had was that the LaRue 11.0 handguard was just a tad too short when I had the bipod installed and it crowded my hand. After looking at a couple of friends' guns I determined that a rail at least 12" in length would give me enough room for my to get fully extended with my bipod mounted.

This is the configuration of the rifle that I ran at the NDM match:

This is its current configuration with changes made as a result of my observations:

Love this KMR rail!

Upper:
CMT Flat Top w/ M4 cuts
CMT FA MPI BCG
WOA 16" ML SS barrel, 1:7 twist
Griffin Armament M4SD Comp
BCM Charging Handle
BCM KMR-13

Lower:
RRA Lower
Geissele SSA-E
Magpul BAD Lever
Magpul MOE Trigger Guard
Magpul MOE-K2 Grip
Vltor E-MOD

Optics/Sights:
Nightforce 2.5-10X24 Mil/Mil in LT-104 Mount
Burris FastFire in LT-137 Mount
Mixed Troy/MI BUIS

First and foremost let me just say that I freaking love this KMR rail, it's everything I was looking for when I was searching for replacements. In addition to the KMR and Burris FastFire I also ended up replacing the Magpul grip, adding a Magpul BAD lever, and Griffin Armament Comp. I ended up replacing the grip because I noticed that after a while shooting in the prone the rake of the MOE grip actually hurt my wrist and my performance began to suffer. The MOE-K2 has a more vertical grip that I found more comfortable to shoot with in general, whether that be standing, kneeling, prone, etc.. The GA M4SD is an amazingly effective compensator and I'm glad I have it on the gun, now the gun doesn't recoil, period and combined with the SSA-E pairs are quick and accurate.

I took the whole shebang to the range a couple of weeks ago to get zeroed and shoot out to 600 yards and this set up is a hammer. I was punching out the center of my shoot n c at 100 so I drove over to the 600 yard range. At 600 I was hammering the steel without issue and I think my best group was right around 1.25 MOA with Mk 262 Mod 1. There's a big 2-day DMR match this weekend at Peacemaker National Training Center in WV so I'm going to see if my changes were worth while but so far so good I think.

I will say one thing though, I'm not sure if I'm sold on having the Burris FF mounted where it is. Truth me told I'm seriously weighing replacing it and the BUIS that I have on there with a set of off set irons like the Griffin Armament Fail Safe sights or DD RTS sites. This way I can reduce weight while still maintaining an effective way to engage close up targets.