Thread: Looking at storing oats, and I'm confused

Feedback Score

Looking at storing oats, and I'm confused

I'd like to get some oats in the mylar bag/bucket, but I'm a little confused as to what kind to buy.
    I'm having trouble finding whole oats, but groats don't seem to be any trouble. Will groats store long term (decades)? Or do I really need to find whole oats? I'm assuming I can run whole oats through a flaker? Or, again, is that something I need groats for?
    I'm guessing I want groats, but want to make sure before I commit.

Feedback Score
    Your best bet is to buy them from Honeyville or Emergency Essentials to get you started. It is cheaper to buy them already done rather than doing them yourself and all of the packing on a small term basis. Honeyville is cheaper in-store than if you order off the internet. No issue getting oats or groats pretty much your choice. Just need a flaker if you want to make rolled oats.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Ditto on HoneyVille. I buy the 50# bags of steel cut oats for $51 with $5 shipping.

http://shop.honeyville.com/steel-cut-oats.html

Honeyville's Steel Cut Oats are simply whole grain oat groats that have been cut into little pieces, making them easier to cook. They have been known to make some of the best tasting oat meal/porridge because of the minimal processing that keeps the flavor intact. Though they take longer to cook, the flavor they are known for is well worth the wait. Try combining steel cut oats with Honeyville’s freeze dried fruits and brown sugar to make a tasty breakfast.

Unique to Honeyville, our steel cut oats go through a filtering process that helps ensure only the best quality oats are selected before being cleaned and cut. The minimal processing of Steel cut oats helps to keep all of the nutrients intact, making them a rich source of soluble fiber, protein, and vitamins, as well as other nutrients like selenium, thiamin, phosphorous, and magnesium.

Shelf-Life: Stores for 10 to 15 years in a sealed #10 can (oxygen absorber included) under ideal storage conditions (cool, dry place). Once opened, it has an average shelf life of 6 to 12 months. The 2 and 50 pound bag will last 1 year in sealed packaging under ideal storage conditions (cool, dry place).

Instructions: For hot cereal, add 1 part oats to 6 parts boiling water. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for up to 45 minutes stirring occasionally. In the final 15 minutes, reduce heat to low and stir as needed. Using a pressure cooker will produce the best results.

Uses: Make delicious hot cereals, or as a healthy and flavorful ingredient in oatmeal cookies, multi-grain breads, rolls and more

Visit our blog In the Kitchen with Honeyville to find delicious recipes for Steel Cut Oats and more!

Packaging: Steel Cut Oats are sealed air tight in a #10 can and weighs approximately 4.5 pounds. A case contains 6 #10 cans and weighs 27 pounds. Each can contains 49 servings. One serving size is ¼ cup. The 2 and 50 pound bag packaging may vary.

Ingredients: Whole Grain Oats.

Allergen information: The cans are produced on equipment that processes products containing soy, wheat, milk, egg, peanut, and tree nuts. The 50 pound bag may contain trace amounts of wheat.
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 07-26-14 at 23:57.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    We must be the only people in America who prefer the rolled oats to steel cut. But I see Honeyville sells all kinds - nice. Though, I think I'd prefer the groats just to have a little more flexibility. Flakers seem to be cheap enough.

Thanks for the suggestion.