Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossberg MVP 7.62 NATO . . .

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Question Mossberg MVP 7.62 NATO . . .

I have to admit when I read that these accept M14/M1A and SR-25 mags it caught my attention.

Anyone have experience with the MVP in .30 cal?

I would like to have a general purpose bolt gun in 7.62 NATO, if it accepts my M1A's mags then it's a win-win for me.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifl...p-patrol/27742
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 07-26-14 at 21:16.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    M14 and AR10 mags? Interesting.

That 7.5 pounds the .308's weight or that of the 5.56?
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I found one on sale at the PX the other day and decided to pick one up (lay away actually). 7.62mm 18" heavy barrel, laminated wood stock, 10 round mag. I've been looking at putting together a short bolt gun for sometime and I could not pass on the price point, $530 on sale.

Generally known as accurate enough, no measurable after market support, no hard use story's. One I pick it up I'll post some picks. I wanted the FLEX model so that it would be a take down rifle. If I like it enough I'll pester my contacts and see if they will send/sell me a stock.

Ken Farrell does make bases: http://www.kenfarrell.com/MOSSBRG-MV...ml?id=vCTzdwGp

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Gotta say this might be my answer to a short 308 bolt gun as well.

Feedback Score
    Much more appealing than the Ruger option.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Much more appealing than the Ruger option.
    Why is that?

With all of the appropriate obsessive behavior around buying the right AR15 on this site, it is a bit hard for me to fathom Mossberg as a serious bolt rifle option. Personally I would pass.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Why is that?

With all of the appropriate obsessive behavior around buying the right AR15 on this site, it is a bit hard for me to fathom Mossberg as a serious bolt rifle option. Personally I would pass.
    I agree with you because it's a "Mossberg" and not a Daniel Defense or H&K. Hence, I don't think the barrel will be cold-hammer forged and up to their standards. I looked at one at the NRA Convention this past April in Indianapolis, and it looked like a pretty nice set up. However, who knows how well it will hold up with use. I doubt it will be a Steyr Scout in quality. The same goes for the Ruger; it is no Steyr by any means.

Regardless, I think his point is that a bolt action rifle that accepts SR-25 or M14 magazines is very nice. The Ruger Gunsite Scout uses proprietary magazines as does the Steyr Scout, which is unfortunate. I think Robar used to make a bolt action rifle that uses M-14 mags and there may be a few others that escapes me right now. Of course, I will take 100% 10 round magazine reliability any day over the ability to put a 20 round SR-25 magazine in a bolt gun.

Here's a review of the 5.56 nato version of this Mossberg rifle: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-mvp-predator/

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I handled one a month ago and am on the lookout for one eventually.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    That 7.5 pounds the .308's weight or that of the 5.56?
    According to the website the MVP .308/7.62 is 7.5lbs with the 16.25" medium bull barrel.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    I found one on sale at the PX the other day and decided to pick one up (lay away actually). 7.62mm 18" heavy barrel, laminated wood stock, 10 round mag. I've been looking at putting together a short bolt gun for sometime and I could not pass on the price point, $530 on sale.

Generally known as accurate enough, no measurable after market support, no hard use story's. One I pick it up I'll post some picks. I wanted the FLEX model so that it would be a take down rifle. If I like it enough I'll pester my contacts and see if they will send/sell me a stock.

Ken Farrell does make bases: http://www.kenfarrell.com/MOSSBRG-MV...ml?id=vCTzdwGp
    Excellent, thanks for you input/link and look forward to any of your reviews. I would like an 18" as well, didn't see that as an option on the site but I could have missed it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast