Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossberg MVP 7.62 NATO . . .

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The MVP has several configs. The varmint, the one with 18 inch barrel and laminated stock but no flashider. Then there is the MVP Patrol wich is 16.25 inch threaded med bull barrel with flashider and synthetic stock and iron sights with full not split picatinny rail. I just ordered one

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Why is that?

With all of the appropriate obsessive behavior around buying the right AR15 on this site, it is a bit hard for me to fathom Mossberg as a serious bolt rifle option. Personally I would pass.
    I was referring to the price/options of the Mossberg vs. the Ruger Scout. I wasn't being an elitist.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I was referring to the price/options of the Mossberg vs. the Ruger Scout. I wasn't being an elitist.
    Gotcha.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icedaddy56 View Post
    Then there is the MVP Patrol wich is 16.25 inch threaded med bull barrel with flashider and synthetic stock and iron sights with full not split picatinny rail. I just ordered one
    This is the one I am considering in 308. I intend for it to be a short, lightweight, "truck gun" type of knock around rifle, not a 1,000 yard precision shooter.
    Last edited by austinN4; 07-28-14 at 07:54.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    The Ruger Gunsite Scout uses proprietary magazines as does the Steyr Scout, which is unfortunate.[/URL]
    The Ruger magazine in the Scout uses AICS-pattern mags. My CDI bottom metal for the Savage I built uses them. Heck, one of the mags is stamped Ruger on the bottom! The plastic 5-rounders are proprietary, but they can be modded to work in other guns (a little sanding at the top).

It's one of two standards used in a wide variety of precision bolt action guns these days, the other, less common being the AW-pattern.

The only real problem with them is the price, at ~$65.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    This is the one I am considering in 308. I intend for it to be a short, lightweight, "truck gun" type of knock around rifle, not a 1,000 yard precision shooter.
    Yeah, my thoughts too. Hard to get the open ground to shoot more than 200-300yds in Florida where I live and I think it would fit that role just fine.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not sure about LGS pricing, but the MSRP on the Ruger Gunsite Scout is much higher at $1,039 than the MVP Patrol at $709.
    Patrols can be had on GunBroker for around $550, Gunsite Scouts for around $750.

I also prefer the traditional receiver mounted scope rail on the MVP vs the scout-style rail mounted on the barrel.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I must get one....I want to put a Leupold 1.25x4 VXR Patrol scope on it. That would be a great little gun with 25 round PMags....
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I must get one....I want to put a Leupold 1.25x4 VXR Patrol scope on it. That would be a great little gun with 25 round PMags....
    Send me a PM if you find a good price on one locally and I'll do the same for you if I find a good price.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    This is exactly the config I'm working towards. :-) I grabbed the rifle recently from my LGS, but still saving my pesos for the VXR.

I haven't had time to test fire the rifle with the irons, but it handles well and the build quality seems good. Pmags fit well, but I've noticed the mag release is a little stiff unless you press up a bit on the mag while operating the release.

Overall I think it's going to make a handy GP bolt gun.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast