Thread: DPMS LR308 Light Primer Taps

Feedback Score

DPMS LR308 Light Primer Taps

I've noticed light primer taps on primers from rounds simply being chambered.

Above you see (Left-Right) rounds chambered multiple times, just once, and unchambered. I understand that AR10s (not LR308s) have FP springs to counteract the slamfire potential of these larger FPs/larger BCGs/heavier buffer springs. Is something like that possible for the LR308s?
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick." -Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, 26th US President
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -Gen. James Mattis, USMC (Ret.)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'd probably contact DPMS ASAP. You don't want a misfire on your hands. We live in a very litigious society.

Feedback Score
    Since its your gun, you should be able to tell us all if you have a firing pin spring. Disassemble the bolt and I'm pretty sure it will be obvious if you do or don't have it. Outside of that, it is normal to have a small dent after chambering a round with an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    AR-15's do the same thing. This is nothing to worry about. It's also why they tell you to not repeatedly chamber the same round if in a duty/life matters gun.

My MWS and PWS MK2 both do this along with every other LR308 I've handled.

I'm not aware of any LR308 pattern firing pins using the anti forward travel spring. I know LaRue used to include it on their OBR firing pin, but stopped (probably for cost reduction).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTMattyL View Post
    Since its your gun, you should be able to tell us all if you have a firing pin spring. Disassemble the bolt and I'm pretty sure it will be obvious if you do or don't have it. Outside of that, it is normal to have a small dent after chambering a round with an AR-15.
    It doesn't. Sorry if I was unclear. Just looking for a solution for it.
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick." -Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, 26th US President
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." -Gen. James Mattis, USMC (Ret.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    AR-15's do the same thing. This is nothing to worry about. It's also why they tell you to not repeatedly chamber the same round if in a duty/life matters gun.

My MWS and PWS MK2 both do this along with every other LR308 I've handled.

I'm not aware of any LR308 pattern firing pins using the anti forward travel spring. I know LaRue used to include it on their OBR firing pin, but stopped (probably for cost reduction).
    The dimples on the primers of 5.56 by 15's are considerably smaller than those on the 7.62 primers of the LR308.

I rechamber regularly as I empty the rifle regularly for dry fire and maneuvers through my house.

I was just hoping others had seen this and found a solution for it. Maybe I'll just recycle an old spring and test it out.

Feedback Score
    Twiggy,

The dimples are normal and will not cause your rifle to experience a slamfire...

If aesthetics are that big a deal to you, then don't let the bolt slam home upon re-chambering. Ride the bolt home via charging handle and use forward assist to get the bolt into battery.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IraqVet1982 View Post
    I'd probably contact DPMS ASAP. You don't want a misfire on your hands. We live in a very litigious society.
    I have fired thousands of rounds through a RRA LAR8 (308) and never had an issue. It also had dimples from light primer strikes.