Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Optimized Brown Tip" gel test video by SMG Lee

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ack495 View Post
    As a police officer for a suburban town, it is to me. I select the ammo my dept uses. There is a major reason I don't use this bullet, it almost always penetrates deeper than 18" in gel. In my opinion, it would be gross negligence on my part to use a bullet I knew had the likelihood of over penetrating the target. Causing injury risk to innocents. YMMV.

Missing the target is an entirely different topic. A miss with any bullet is a bad thing. That is a training issue. Major change in our state qual course is round accountability. Any round not accounted for is an automatic failure and you need to shoot the COF over.
    50-80% of handgun bullets miss the intended target entirely. The number must be less for rifles but still significant. Most expanding rifle bullets are likely to fully penetrate the target. I don't see a reason to get caught up in it. I like the 70TSX because it expands to 300 or 400m depending on barrel length.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    50-80% of handgun bullets miss the intended target entirely. The number must be less for rifles but still significant. Most expanding rifle bullets are likely to fully penetrate the target. I don't see a reason to get caught up in it. I like the 70TSX because it expands to 300 or 400m depending on barrel length.
    I don't get why you keep bringing up misses. We are not talking about misses. I'm talking about what the bullet does AFTER it hits your intended target. And the 70gr will most likely exit your target and still have enough momentum to harm an unintended target behind them.

The idea that most rifle bullets will fully penetrate a person may be true. But definitely less so with today's bullets intended for LE or self defense use. They are designed to NOT over penetrate in accordance with the FBI standard.

There was a reason they developed the 50gr barnes TSX. It was not aimed for the hunting crowd but for the self defense/LE crowd, who don't need/want excessive penetration shown by the 62gr and 70gr tsx, but still need great barrier performance.

If you need a bullet that still expands at 300-400 meters and don't care that it will exit a person, then you have the right bullet.
    Last edited by ack495; 09-22-14 at 21:49.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Dumb question, but where are you guys finding the best prices / shipping for 70, 62, and 50gr TSX 5.56 ammo? I can't even find 70gr anywhere...
    Last edited by kaltesherz; 09-25-14 at 20:22.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    Dumb question, but where are you guys finding the best prices / shipping for 70, 62, and 50gr TSX 5.56 ammo? I can't even find 70gr anywhere...
    Might not be the best price, but its in stock http://store.chencustom.com/223_SOLI...r_TSX_s/92.htm

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixgun_Symphony View Post
    Might not be the best price, but its in stock http://store.chencustom.com/223_SOLI...r_TSX_s/92.htm
    Thanks! Now I need to sell a kidney...
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123