Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget Trunk Gun - Cheap but reliable

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Budget Trunk Gun - Cheap but reliable

editted
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-30-15 at 17:12.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Shoot. I run an SBR as my TRUCK (same idea as Trunk) gun. I don't have a Can or an optic on it though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    All of my SBRs have optics and are $$$. I wouldn't mind running a cheap SBR as a trunk gun. I just don't have one. With Eform 1's taking 3 months, I might have to change that.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Nice setup man, I'd also like to have something dedicated like that.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I don't want to derail this entirely, but you are saying you are OK with someone breaking into your vehicle and stealing this as opposed to a 2K Noveske?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I don't want to derail this entirely, but you are saying you are OK with someone breaking into your vehicle and stealing this as opposed to a 2K Noveske?
    I'm confused by your question.

Are you asking if I'm okay with my rifle getting stolen because it is not a $2k Noveske? Of course not. I don't want anything of mine to get stolen, even if I only paid $5.00 for it. This rifle won't live in the vehicle 24/7. It's just that it's only purpose is as a trunk gun when I need one. I'll still take every precaution that I can in order to ensure it isn't stolen, just like I do everything I own.

Or, are you asking if my car got stolen and I had a rifle in it, would I rather have this in the trunk than a $2k Noveske? In that case, of course I would.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 08-01-14 at 16:54.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Per your original post it sounded as if you were OK with this rifle being stolen should someone break into or steal the vehicle. I am against so-called truck guns or leaving guns in vehicles except as absolutely necessary. If I have my rifle in my vehicle I park so I can see it and it is totally out of sight.

When people say "truck gun" they are often referring to something cheap they just leave in the vehicle and are don't care if it is stolen. Considering all the times we read stories about weapons being stolen from fed/local LE vehicles or firearms being stolen and used i crimes, I think it's irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I'm confused by your question.

Are you asking if I'm okay with my rifle getting stolen because it is not a $2k Noveske? Of course not. I don't want anything of mine to get stolen, even if I only paid $5.00 for it. This rifle won't live in the vehicle 24/7. It's just that it's only purpose is as a trunk gun when I need one. I'll still take every precaution that I can in order to ensure it isn't stolen, just like I do everything I own.

Or, are you asking if my car got stolen and I had a rifle in it, would I rather have this in the trunk than a $2k Noveske? In that case, of course I would.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^^Agree. Maybe the better scenario would be that it was a safely stored rifle that had to be used for self defense and was taken by the police as evidence.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Per your original post it sounded as if you were OK with this rifle being stolen should someone break into or steal the vehicle. I am against so-called truck guns or leaving guns in vehicles except as absolutely necessary. If I have my rifle in my vehicle I park so I can see it and it is totally out of sight.

When people say "truck gun" they are often referring to something cheap they just leave in the vehicle and are don't care if it is stolen. Considering all the times we read stories about weapons being stolen from fed/local LE vehicles or firearms being stolen and used i crimes, I think it's irresponsible.
    I understand this concern. I work in a place where I can't legally carry or store a firearm (federal law). However, the employee parking lot is not off limits. It is under surveillance and patrolled. I keep a gun in that vehicle, as it's the only way I can have a gun at all. It does stay in the car if I'm not wearing it (such as if I stop someplace after work before going home). At home, the car is locked inside my locked garage.

Do you consider this acceptable?

Thread relevant: Nice build!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    I really like this setup. Basic, quality parts, smartly setup.

I actually get the idea behind having a lower cost trunk gun. Nobody wants their gun stolen, or would be okay with it. But having a "beater" gun makes sense to me, and not just due to theft, but also risk of it being damage/destroyed in an accident.

I have had to endure having a firearm stolen out of my car, years ago. It was recovered sometime later, but it really pissed me off, and the thought of someone possibly using my firearm in a crime left me with a very bad feeling. Part of the reason I am doing some research on having a cable style lock attached to a hard case in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

For the lower I was really tempted to use one of my BCM Blems from Grant. I wanted quality parts, but I also wanted to paint this. I'm holding onto my BCM lowers in case prices get stupid high during another panic and didn't want to diminish the value of them with paint, so I decided to build my own.
    I guess I am weird. I did the opposite. During the last panic, a co-worked offered an obscene amount of money for one of my AR's. So I immediately painted my AR's (including my BCM blem lower) specifically to reduce their value, so I wouldn't sell them. I made the mistake of selling off a LMT lower/BCM upper during the previous panic in 2008. Not going to allow myself to do that again.

Additionally, when you mention the state law regarding the "securely encased container", I am curious what State that is?

Also, Eurodriver, is that as in, Euro-Copter driver?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast