Thread: Army gen 3 ECWCS

Feedback Score

Army gen 3 ECWCS

For those who have recently been issued the latest generation of cold weather gear (gen 3, 7 level system), how does the latest gore tex shell compare to the earlier generation of gortex jackets?

From what I can gather, they are thinner and lighter. Is sizing about the same? Do they have a similar pocket configuration or just pass through pockets?

Also, any experience with the new soft shell (level 4)?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    The best part of the Gen III is the Level 5 jacket/pants. It was my outer layer for winter training in Alaska and I love them. I wear it more than any other component and it's versatile enough to wear with layers down into -20 and lower, depending on your tolerance for the cold. The Gore Tex top/bottom is definitely thinner and lighter than the old stuff. I've only worn them a handful of times (everyone in the Infantry knows that Gore Tex is for the packing list only) and I only wore the old stuff in basic training. They're pretty light and durable from what I remember when using them, but I still prefer my Lvl 5 unless it's pissing rain.

As for sizing, I'm 5'7", 185lbs with a 31" waist and a 40" chest and I wear S/R everything. I normally wear S/R ACU trousers and S/S blouse.

The wind breaker (Lvl 4 jacket) is okay. It's light and thin and packs small, but the sleeves fit tight and it's barely torso length. It doesn't have the armpit zippers the Lvl 5 does so it can get hot pretty quick if wearing under body armor. I personally bought an Arc'teryx Combat Jacket and vastly prefer it.

I recommend picking up some of the Lvl 1 "silkies" and the Lvl 5 tops/bottoms. Pick up a Lvl 2 "waffle" top to layer with if static below 15F.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    The best part of the Gen III is the Level 5 jacket/pants. It was my outer layer for winter training in Alaska and I love them. I wear it more than any other component and it's versatile enough to wear with layers down into -20 and lower, depending on your tolerance for the cold. The Gore Tex top/bottom is definitely thinner and lighter than the old stuff. I've only worn them a handful of times (everyone in the Infantry knows that Gore Tex is for the packing list only) and I only wore the old stuff in basic training. They're pretty light and durable from what I remember when using them, but I still prefer my Lvl 5 unless it's pissing rain.

As for sizing, I'm 5'7", 185lbs with a 31" waist and a 40" chest and I wear S/R everything. I normally wear S/R ACU trousers and S/S blouse.

The wind breaker (Lvl 4 jacket) is okay. It's light and thin and packs small, but the sleeves fit tight and it's barely torso length. It doesn't have the armpit zippers the Lvl 5 does so it can get hot pretty quick if wearing under body armor. I personally bought an Arc'teryx Combat Jacket and vastly prefer it.

I recommend picking up some of the Lvl 1 "silkies" and the Lvl 5 tops/bottoms. Pick up a Lvl 2 "waffle" top to layer with if static below 15F.
    Thanks for the info, very helpful. Is the disdain for gore tex due to it being too noisy? Would you say that is also the reason for favoring the soft shell level 5?

On the level 6 shell are the pockets actual pockets or just pass through holes?

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    Thanks for the info, very helpful. Is the disdain for gore tex due to it being too noisy? Would you say that is also the reason for favoring the soft shell level 5?

Let me dig through my bags in an hour or so and I'll pull out my Gore Tex jacket and pants. I've worn them a whopping zero times this deployment, so they've just stayed packed up the whole time. I can also take any pics of them you may want/need at that time, if you'd like.

Honestly, it's not that we don't like it, but a lot of the old-school NCOs don't believe in wearing our snivel gear. I've definitely pulled security in a patrol base in the rain and just stared at my rucksack, knowing I had Gore Tex but I wasn't allowed to wear it.

I favor the Level 5 because it's the most versatile layer in the system. I can wear it comfortably with a T-shirt in the 60s if I want to. They're very lightweight, water resistant, breathe well, and I can wear them from 60F to -20F static, -35F is the coldest I've gone with them during a movement. Anything below that and I was forced to wear the Marshmallow Suit (Lvl 7).

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    They're just pass through, zipper closed pockets.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    They're just pass through, zipper closed pockets.
    Thanks for checking and for all the good first hand info. Most importantly, thanks for being in the fight.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    No problem at all. If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll answer them as soon as I can.