Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Pistol for shtf

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

AR-15 Pistol for shtf

I am currently building an AR rifle. As of now, I just have a stripped lower and a complete parts kit. First, I have no pistol in my preps. I have a Chinese sks that I have refinished and added a spring mounted firing pin to combat slam fire or accidental discharges that I am very comfortable with. I was thinking of selling the sks for a pistol once the AR was done. My dilemma is that I have many friends pistols. I am not a proficient with a pistol even with a NRA training lessons. I know it is all about practice and the longer sight radius of a rifle. Any opinions if I should build a full AR rifle and keep the sks or build an AR pistol and keep the sks?

Thanks!

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would build a rifle and sell the SKS to fund a pistol (not an AR pistol). Probably a M&P or a Glock.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Short answer is no. Build out the AR Rifle. I would keep the SKS and some ammo as a back up and look at getting a pistol. A good rifle is worth its weight in gold. Once you do get a pistol. Just keep practicing with it.

I look at a pistol as something to get me to my rifle.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Unless you are going to go SBR shortly I wouldn't bother. A docsherm said, keep the rifles, SKS is a good rifle and something worth having, take the other lower and build a back up to your current rifle, shit ain't getting cheaper and if you can swing it grab a BCM upper while it on sale. Buy yourself a glock or an H&K VP9(Not a fan of the M&P but if it works for you I am not going to yell at you.) or another vetted platform, hell I wouldn't sneeze at a M9A1 though it would not be my first choice for concealed carry but if you have thecash and get getWC to work it over I would salute you as I feel the platform is more than workable, but that is meet and I have a very soft spot for DA guns so........

But short answer to AR pistol question for shit hitting the fan, NO, another is a better choice, especially if it is a quality rifle/build.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    I like my AR shorties, but for SHTF I want three other guns ahead of them; two 14.5 or 16" - a red dot and a magnified (1-4 or 3x minimum) plus a handgun. I'm partial to 9mm CZ 75s as I shoot them better than my second fave Sig P229.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Build that AR as a rifle.

Get a good pistol. Practice. You'll get better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Build that AR as a rifle.

Get a good pistol. Practice. You'll get better.
    Points well taken! I used to have a steyr m9a1. Felt like an extension of my arm. I would prefer a manual decocker or safety. Both the cz and berretta flip the bill. Thanks guys!
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input. I really have liked the cz-75. This is to Kain. I really like the m9a1 as well. Both are very proven pistols.

George Orwell.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Get whatever pistol feels the best to you. If it is awkward it will prevent you from getting better. Both of the pistols you mentioned are good as long as you feel good with them.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militant_monkey View Post
    Thanks for the input. I really have liked the cz-75. This is to Kain. I really like the m9a1 as well. Both are very proven pistols.
    You know I keep forgetting about the CZ's offerings. I don't know why either because I haven't run into many who had much if any negative things to say. Perhaps I should invest in one to jog my memory. Lol.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast