Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long term reliability of low power trigger springs

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have run probably 1-2k through two different rifles, one with PSA "MilSpec" LPK and the other with ALG QMS---both with JP Yellow springs--without issue. Tula, Herters, Wolf, AE, and reloads with WSR and CCI primers. No issues to report, no FTFs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
    I recommend using only the lighter trigger spring. Leave the standard power hammer spring in and you'll have a bit lighter trigger with no worries about light primer strikes. I use the Wolff reduced power trigger springs with ALG ACTs with good results.

This... I never use a reduced power hammer spring on anything. I also prefer the Wolff RP trigger spring over the JP yellow and have them in all of my ACT/QMS rifles. I've never had a light primer strike and one of the rifles has about two cases through it and it's still functioning fine. Never, ever replace your hammer spring for a reduced power version - unless you find some ridiculously soft-primered ammo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Man... I've got a buddy who replaced several trigger/hammer/spring groups with Geissele triggers.... and the part are all fuX0red up with JP garbage and Bill Springfield retard trigger destroy jobs.

Friggin kills me... I can't bring myself to trash them, but I'll never trust them.
    Sure... you've got a buddy. But YOU can't bring yourself to trash them. Sounds like you need to join Trigger-Tweakers Anonymous. a support group for people who just can't leave it well enough alone.

You know I'm just giving you a hard time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    This... I never use a reduced power hammer spring on anything. I also prefer the Wolff RP trigger spring over the JP yellow and have them in all of my ACT/QMS rifles. I've never had a light primer strike and one of the rifles has about two cases through it and it's still functioning fine. Never, ever replace your hammer spring for a reduced power version - unless you find some ridiculously soft-primered ammo.

@ both Shao and Know1: Did you replace the disconnector spring as well with one from a lower power kit/set, or strictly the trigger spring alone?

As of right now, I plan on replacing strictly the trigger spring alone and giving that a whirl.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've been running the reduced springs with a "bobbed" hammer to
    Reduce the mass and avoid light strikes. Works great for range,training.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Did you replace the disconnector spring as well with one from a lower power kit/set, or strictly the trigger spring alone?
    One I did, one I did not. I honestly could not feel the difference. To be safe, you could stay with the stock spring, but I don't think there's any harm in using the Wolff spring.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    @ both Shao and Know1: Did you replace the disconnector spring as well with one from a lower power kit/set, or strictly the trigger spring alone?

As of right now, I plan on replacing strictly the trigger spring alone and giving that a whirl.
    I use the Wolff reduced power disconnector springs as well. They do the job and together lighten the trigger pull by about a full pound, which is actually pretty nice for a QMS or ACT. I've never tried them with other mil-spec triggers because if I ever see those, I take them out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Reconinforce View Post
    I think bobbing the hammer really helps with reliability of a trigger group with a reduced power hammer spring. I have a couple rifles with the reduced power JP hammer springs and haven't had any light strikes, but have heard from several guys that did and bobbing the hammer eliminated the occasional light strikes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reconinforce View Post
    How is this great for training? Range, plinking, etc, I get it. However, wouldn't one want to train with a trigger that has a similar break and weight as your go-to rifle?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the energy transferred to the firing pin cannot be greater than the energy generated by the hammer spring, regardless of the mass of the hammer. Mass of hammer can only affect lock time, not energy with which firing pin impacts primer. Sure, using formula of Energy=1/2 massXVelocity squared skews higher energy towards higher velocity, but only if mass remains constant. Still, source of energy is the hammer spring. So going with a weaker hammer spring, how can energy imparted to the firing pin remain the same?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast