Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavier hitting round

Feedback Score

Heavier hitting round

I am contemplating investing in either the 300 Blackout or the 6.8 SPC platform, but I am concerned about the long-term viability of either. Just a few months ago, it seemed that 300 Blackout was coming out ahead, but now it's anyone's guess. Daniel Defense, for instance, is now only making one 300 Blackout rifle, the 300 ISR. LWRC bet the farm on 6.8 SPC with the Six8, but no one else seems to care about it. I am seriously interested in a platform with more lethality than the 5.56 AR-15, but less weight than the 308 AR-10/SR-25, but there is no obvious choice. I don't reload, so I am not interested in a wildcat round.

It's getting to the point that I'm thinking a lightweight 308, such as a SCAR 17 or a Larue PredatAR 7.62, might be the way to go. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    More lethality? How do you quantify lethality? Dead is dead. You choose a round based on a particular need. .300 for Suppression, SBRs with less blast, hunting medium game in the bush in states that don't allow 5.56. 6.8 for SBRs with more energy and great velocity, hunting medium game in states that don't allow 5.56. 7.62x51 in SCAR 17 will give you range with less deflection against barriers, more retained energy, better wind bucking.

I played with the lightweight .308 AR. I continue to play with .300. I contemplated playing with 6.8. 5.56 with modern bullet selection pretty much does what I need it to do.
    Last edited by MorphCross; 08-11-14 at 19:04.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    What is the intended purpose?

Ever thought about a heavy-for-caliber round (Mk262)?
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 08-11-14 at 19:09.

Feedback Score
    The difference in recoil between a light weight 308 and a 6.8 spc II is substantial..... The 6.8 is simply pleasant to shoot recoil wise compared to a 308....add an adjustable gas block and recoil is Unbelievably low..... I have a adjustable gas block on my 308 too but it still has significant recoil compared to the 6.8, honestly my 6.8 has less Recoil than my over gassed 5.56.....this may not be a concern for you but this is one reason my 6.8 is my favorite round to hunt with.....
    Last edited by Regalkismet; 08-11-14 at 20:17.

Feedback Score
    Purpose would be medium sized game (southwest Texas) and possibly home defense.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MajorLonghorn; 08-11-14 at 21:42.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I shot a nice 10 point, ~115 pound buck last season with a hand loaded 60 grain Nosler partition. He ran about 15 yards. Choose a heavy, bonded bullet and you will be fine on brush fed south Texas deer with 5.56 or 223.

If you are hunting larger deer that are fed corn and protein year round then pick up an inexpensive bolt gun in 308 and drive on. Building a gas gun just for hunting with a vague justification of home defense is throwing money down the drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorLonghorn View Post
    Purpose would be medium sized game (southwest Texas) and possibly home defense.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    FWIW, the 6.8 has been well received by the hunting community. It has it's own forum (68forumsdotcom) and bullet manufacturers have stepped up with 6.8SPC specific bullets (some of the bullets designed for .270 Win will not perform reliably out of a 6.8). I think it's here to stay. One of the reasons I built a 16" 6.8 is due to the increase (or perception of) in shootings in or around vehicles with rifles.

Many are going with the .300BLK because it utilizes the same bolt and magazines as the 5.56. That's a + for logistics. OTOH, some less careful owners have inadvertently mixed the two calibers with VERY negative results. I have no doubts between my 5.56 P-Mags and my steel PRI 6.8 mags.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    I've been thinking of a lightweight 6.8 myself. In Florida shots aren't really long, but there is a lot of brush. I'm not an experienced hunter so I don't feel comfortable yet with using 5.56.

There are a ton of hogs around here. My thought is I could sit in the stand with a 5 round mag for whitetail. If I see a bunch of pigs I could throw in a 30 round mag and light them up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Have you seen skypup's thread on the 70gr tsx? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...SX-Performance

A lot of medium-sized game has met their maker, courtesy of that load.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would suggest checking out the 6.8SPC as well. Ammo support has increased incredibly recently with Federal (Fusion and 90gr Gold Dot overruns from overseas military contracts) and Sellier&Bellot (cheap FMJ) now making ammo for it as well and you can even find it on the shelves of Wally World. All you need is a barrel, bolt and magazines. The ballistic performance outshines the 5.56/.223 in almost every catagory. I honestly believe it is here to stay as (as mentioned before) it does so well with the hunting community and continues to gain support and notoriety. Hell, I just got done building a range/coyote 6.8 rifle myself.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast