Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Considering a 9mm 1911

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I'm also considering a, significantly less expensive, STI. My hope there is that years of building game guns in 9mm will mean that they have learned a thing or two. Thinking of a Trojan but can't stand that adjustable rear sight. The Legacy at least has a Novak cut so I could ditch that sight, but the price is getting kind of high.

My ultimate goal would be to find a $1k 9mm 1911 that runs (and if I have to use one specific brand of mag to make it run I will) on low-recoil subsonic ammo. I'm not sure that it exists though.
    If I have to buy a 9mm 1911 today, I would buy the STI Trojan. Two friends of mine have custom 9mm 1911s built to their specs and they picked up the 9mm Trojan as "back up" to their primary guns. They end up more impressed with the Trojan and enjoy shooting them as much or more than their much higher priced customs.

As for recoil, even those hard kicking 115gr. Winchester white box is controllable. CCI Blazer 115gr. aluminum cased ammos are even softer to shoot.

What don't you like about the adjustable sight? They appear to be rugged in the 4 guns I've seen. There is a fixed sight to replace those Bomar clones if you really can't stand them.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just see no purpose in an adjustable sight for my uses, and as such it is extra parts to break that offer no benefit to balance that out.

I did see that the Trojan is offered with a fixed rear for no charge. Wonder if I can scare up a picture of one.

Frankly, there's a lot of stuff about the STIs that I could do with out (the full length guide rod is another one) but might be able to overlook if the thing runs reliably.

I'm mostly interested in cycling sub-sonics so I only have to stock one kind of 9mm and not a Starburst pack of different ammo for different guns. I'd like to be able to buy 10k rounds of one kind of 9mm and have it function in everything.

Feedback Score
    I'm pretty happy with my Trojan. It didn't come without issues, I didn't send it back to STI as I local 1911 smith is a friend of mine. He worked out off the quirks now it runs reliably.

I swapped out the FLGR for GI plug and guide from Ed Brown.

Best magazines I found are the ones shipped with the gun. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I did see that the Trojan is offered with a fixed rear for no charge. Wonder if I can scare up a picture of one.
    Here, I scared one up for you. The rear was a Heinie for the Novak dovetail. The gun was hardchrome by the owner.

It was one that I let slip through my hand. A buddy was selling it for $800 and at that time I didn't have the money. The one that got away.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There's a guy on Gunsamerica selling Trojans (all calibers) for $937 shipped. Decent price?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Yes. Even better if he pays shipping.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Got a reply and he's no longer stocking the 9mms.

Feedback Score
    4 (75%)
    Check Dawson precision for sti stuff

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234