Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: School me on getting my first AK47

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    While UF are way cool they aren't good for the only/first AK. The stock catches on stuff like razortape. Stick to a straight stock. IF it is a Yugo, to an NPAP and get a fixed skeleton setup or an AR adapter. Then you can use an ultimak and still have the scope rail on the receiver. the UF does not have these.
    Couldn't be happier with my first/only AK UF.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had one, got rid of it, then got a NPAP UF. Nice, solid gun and way fun. But if it must 'do all things', a fixed stock is better - or of course a side-folder.

Feedback Score
    It would be for a truck gun, so uf or wire side folder are what I want. It wouldn't be my first ak but it would be my first serious ak, if that makes sense.

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.
    Die living

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you research things before you buy you will drive yourself slightly insane on this one trying to decide between a budget gun and an Arsenal. the budget guns will shoot, but the Arsenal products are worth the money. SLR107 is the best choice that you can make here even if you need to save for a while.

Feedback Score
    I prefer the WASR over any of the Yugos, because it has a chrome lined barrel. A feature that impacts reliability and function is a lot more important to me than having a prettier fit and finish... especially with the cheap lacquered case ammo I will be running through this kind of rifle. The Yugos could afford to dispense with the chrome because all their service ammo was nice brass-cased stuff. Every country who ran steel case spec'ed a CL barrel, and for good reason. Steel cased ammo fouls the chamber faster than brass, and suffers from more throat erosion. Chrome helps with both of these things.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bowietx View Post
    If you research things before you buy you will drive yourself slightly insane on this one trying to decide between a budget gun and an Arsenal. the budget guns will shoot, but the Arsenal products are worth the money. SLR107 is the best choice that you can make here even if you need to save for a while.
    It's going to be a truck gun. I'd be sick if I lost a 1k dollar gun. At 560 I'd just be really mad.

Quote Originally Posted by henschman View Post
    I prefer the WASR over any of the Yugos, because it has a chrome lined barrel. A feature that impacts reliability and function is a lot more important to me than having a prettier fit and finish... especially with the cheap lacquered case ammo I will be running through this kind of rifle. The Yugos could afford to dispense with the chrome because all their service ammo was nice brass-cased stuff. Every country who ran steel case spec'ed a CL barrel, and for good reason. Steel cased ammo fouls the chamber faster than brass, and suffers from more throat erosion. Chrome helps with both of these things.
    Not really to worried about it. Plenty of people abuse non chrome lined barrels all the time plus I'm pretty anal about maintenance and it's not going to be some super high round count gun. Also since it's going to be a truck gun it needs to be an under folder or side wire folder. I could be wrong but WASRs are fixed stock only?

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.
    Die living

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowietx View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I have had several AK's since I got involved with them. I have an Arsenal 107CR. It is nice. However I liked my Yugo OPAP so much I bought a second one.
    And if I had the room, I would buy a 3rd or 4th. IMO they shoot better than the Arsenal. The 100 series folder is nice but I prefer right side folders.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    Not really to worried about it. Plenty of people abuse non chrome lined barrels all the time plus I'm pretty anal about maintenance and it's not going to be some super high round count gun. Also since it's going to be a truck gun it needs to be an under folder or side wire folder. I could be wrong but WASRs are fixed stock only?
    I believe that the current crop of WASRs are all fixed stock versions. However, since it's basically a standard AKM, there are numerous aftermarket options like the ACE side folders.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto426 View Post
    I believe that the current crop of WASRs are all fixed stock versions. However, since it's basically a standard AKM, there are numerous aftermarket options like the ACE side folders.
    CNC Warrior/Bonesteel > ACE
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The SLR107FR is the Colt 6920 of the 7.62x39 AKM world...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123