Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustration with Kriss USA

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Frustration with Kriss USA

Has anyone else had trouble dealing with Kriss while registering and converting the carbine to an SBR? My buddy was told by them to cut the barrel down with a hacksaw once he received the stamp. Then after he cut the barrel down, send it to Kriss to remove and install a new barrel for $450!!!? He informed to me today that Kriss then told him that thennegraving he had done was not sufficient because it was in polymer. I was very interested in purchasing a Kriss but now I can honestly say I'd rather go any other route. What are your experiences with the company and their products?

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    I'm not very familiar with converting a Kriss, but a few questions come to mind?

1. Why would your friend cut the barrel in that crude of a fashion vs. having a gunsmith familiar with the firearm do the work? I'm sure Kriss doesn't care what he does to the barrel, possibly why the offered to replace it for $450.

2. If the barrel swap can be done at th factory, there's no legal reason for the barrel to have to be crudely cut before returning it to Kriss.

3. Assuming this is a Form 1 project, how is Kriss able to manufacture the SBR, given that your friend applied to manufacture it, and Kriss is installing the new barrel?

4. Kriss has nothing too do with enforcing the BATFE's engraving requirements. Only to comply with them when building factory weapons.

Mind you I'm no authority on the weapon platform or the NFA. No negative connotations implied by my post. Seems to be a lot more questions than answers here, just trying to help.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKAC View Post
    I'm not very familiar with converting a Kriss, but a few questions come to mind?

1. Why would your friend cut the barrel in that crude of a fashion vs. having a gunsmith familiar with the firearm do the work? I'm sure Kriss doesn't care what he does to the barrel, possibly why the offered to replace it for $450. THEY TOLD ME TO CUT IT OFF. DUE TO THE FACT I AM THE "MANUFACTURER" THEN THEY ARE ONLY DOING REPAIR. IT IS THEIR PROCESS OF IT.

2. If the barrel swap can be done at th factory, there's no legal reason for the barrel to have to be crudely cut before returning it to Kriss. I CUT IT WITH WHAT I HAD

3. Assuming this is a Form 1 project, how is Kriss able to manufacture the SBR, given that your friend applied to manufacture it, and Kriss is installing the new barrel? SEE 1

4. Kriss has nothing too do with enforcing the BATFE's engraving requirements. Only to comply with them when building factory weapons. EXACTLY!!!!!!!

Mind you I'm no authority on the weapon platform or the NFA. No negative connotations implied by my post. Seems to be a lot more questions than answers here, just trying to help.
    I EVEN CALLED THE ATF AND THEY SAID IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE ON ANY METAL. SO STUPID. I WOULD NEVER BUY A KRISS AGAIN.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    They sound like retards. (KRISS that is) Anyone who'd tell you to hack saw anything on a gun is nuts.

And for those clowns to inject their "expertise" on ATF matters is stupid. It's the SBR maker's problem to comply with engraving specs or whatever.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKAC View Post

1. Why would your friend cut the barrel in that crude of a fashion vs. having a gunsmith familiar with the firearm do the work? I'm sure Kriss doesn't care what he does to the barrel, possibly why the offered to replace it for $450.

2. If the barrel swap can be done at th factory, there's no legal reason for the barrel to have to be crudely cut before returning it to Kriss.

3. Assuming this is a Form 1 project, how is Kriss able to manufacture the SBR, given that your friend applied to manufacture it, and Kriss is installing the new barrel?

4. Kriss has nothing too do with enforcing the BATFE's engraving requirements. Only to comply with them when building factory weapons.

1. I had the same question. Answer is, gunsmiths cannot remove the barrel as the rifle has to be sent to the manufacturer to have a barrel removed and/ or replaced. I'm sure a gunsmith can do it, but the warranty will be voided. Entire process sounds very stupid to me.

2. I agree. The only reasoning I can think of is, Kriss wanted to rifle in compliance with the Form 1 immediately. The cut had to be done crudely as only Kriss can remove the barrel. I told my friend to simply send it to Adco and have them cut and thread the barrel but he informed me that Kriss would not allow this and that only they can remove the barrel for the warranty to remain intact.

3. Again, I agree but apparently Kriss will only maintain their warranty if the rifle is converted at their facility.

4. EXACTLY! They have no reason to be asking where engraving should be done. I was shown an email in which a Kriss employee states that the frame should be milled and the engraving should be done on metal. This makes no sense and there is no legal requirement for that at all.

What I am thinking is either the company is just using the warranty deal as a sham to charge people $450 for a simple conversion OR they simply are employing people who have no idea what the NFA guidelines really are. Either way, I am definitely out in ever purchasing a vector. Which sucks because that was next on my list.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Ps, my stated friend posted above and by all the capitals used, you can see he is upset hahah.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Check your CAPS lock, it's the internet's version of screaming at another person.

I can't imagine why Kriss would tell you to cut the barrel and do a Form 1, considering they offer conversions for a fee right on their website: http://www.kriss-arms.com/2012-03-21-12-50-42

"KRISS USA offers a conversion service to convert your CRB/SDP to an SBR. You can ship the firearm to us and we will replace the 16” barrel of a CRB with a 5.5” threaded barrel assembly or remove the pistol end attachment of the SDP and replace it with a folding stock. Since the SBR is considered a class 3/NFA weapon, we will need to complete the appropriate paperwork with the ATF prior to transferring it to your class 3 FFL/SOT dealer. There is a charge for this service, please contact us for a quote."

What this means is that you send them the gun, they replace the appropriate parts and then register the gun on a Form 2 (Notice of Firearms Manufactured or Imported) as it's now a Title II or NFA firearm.

Next they Form 3 the gun to your SOT of choice, who will then Form 4 the gun to you.

There is no engraving, no hacksaws, or no gun smithing required on your behalf.

Feedback Score
    ..but really all they need to do is pull the barrel, chuck it in the lathe, clean the cut up, and chuck it in the park tank for a few minutes.

When you pay for their ridiculous service, do they send your old barrel back? I'd be pissed if they didn't.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A buddy of mine is running into this problem as well. He wants to SBR his, but the barrels are pressed in from the factory, i.e. not easy to just remove and replace. The best option we have come up with is to buy the pistol version, then buy/install the stock assembly once the paperwork clears.

"I don't carry a knife because God invented silencers for a reason. Also, I'm not in a dancing gang who goes to "rumbles"." ~ Sterling Archer

"Shooting a gun is like being intimate with a woman. First, you inspect it to make sure it's clean. Then you grab it on the butt and jam the magazine in. If it doesn't fit, make it." ~ Stan Smith

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hump66 View Post
    A buddy of mine is running into this problem as well. He wants to SBR his, but the barrels are pressed in from the factory, i.e. not easy to just remove and replace. The best option we have come up with is to buy the pistol version, then buy/install the stock assembly once the paperwork clears.
    I'd agree, pretty much the same thing people have been doing with MP5 pistols for quite some time.

Other than the rare instances where the carbine barrel "extensions" are easy to remove, like with some of atlantic firearm's carbine clones, the pistol version is typically the best route to start from.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast