Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: ***DO NOT GIFT FUNDS ON PAYPAL***

Feedback Score
    Gentlemen,

I had no idea of the potential problems associated with sending a personal check and what could befall the recipient if the person sending the check is dishonest.

Thanks for the education.

I thought it a good, simple approach because I am an honest man, but I can see it's fraught with negative possibilities I had no knowledge of.

I'm red in the face.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
    Why not send a personal check for an item being sold?

Once it clears, the seller can send the item.
    If the buyer just has to send a personal check, money order, or cashier's check, then that's what I do. As soon as the check is verified and cashed, I send the item. I make the buyer aware that those are the conditions. The ones that subsequently decline are likely to be the ones that rip me off, IMHO.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Personal Checks are tricky. If it doesn't clear. I get charged 30 bucks from my bank. Now what... send me the money again and add 30 bucks for your check fee that I was charged?? If its not Certified Funds, I wont take any check. If you go to their bank (if your state or area has one) and cash it. They still charge you another 5-10 bucks for not having an account at their bank.

So to me, personal checks are a big PASS.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    If the buyer just has to send a personal check, money order, or cashier's check, then that's what I do. As soon as the check is verified and cashed, I send the item. I make the buyer aware that those are the conditions. The ones that subsequently decline are likely to be the ones that rip me off, IMHO.
    The point I made and the point made above is checks are tricky. If the check the person writes you "clears" in a day or two and posts to your account, things can still go wrong. Your bank will attempt to settle with their bank and assuming the account is open and the funds are sufficient then there isn't a problem.

If the account with their bank doesn't have sufficient funds, not only will your bank remove the deposited amount from your account but in most instances you will also be charged a significant fee. So I would wait at minimum 7-10 business days before I even thought about shipping the item(s) to ensure there are no issues. That's the gist of it but your bank could explain it better.

I avoid this by requesting USPS money order only. If the person insists on using PayPal or writing a check then I pass on the deal. There will always be someone else to come along soon who understands your requirements and will gladly work with you.

To me a person throws up a red flag if they're too impatient to agree to pay a small fee to mail a USPS money order. Sometimes those are the people who will quibble with you over the smallest imperfection or shipping delay.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    Good point! Normally paypal is linked to my checking account and not a credit card, so for the seller, the fees are a lot less.
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

Feedback Score
    Bump as requested since I just read this and was not aware of these instructions until I had read it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Bringing this up to the top again. If you read it, please reply so that others will also see it and read it. Thanks.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Why is it being permitted in the equipment exchange? Furthermore why are sellers allowed to charge the 4% transaction fee?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Prince View Post
    Why is it being permitted in the equipment exchange?
    So you read what I wrote in post #1, page #1? I re-read it just now to be sure of the message. My text sounds non-permissive. Please quote text in which you see "gifting" as being "allowed"? If you mean you see people doing it in the EE, I will please ask you to re-read my original message on page 1, and follow the directions.

Furthermore why are sellers allowed to charge the 4% transaction fee?
    Terms are terms. If I want to charge you 3.1% more to cover paypal fees, and you don't like the price, or the terms, you can move to the next seller. Using non-gifted paypal allows for a dispute to occur if items were not received, items were counterfeit, or something else occured. Once you gift the money, it's the receiver's money. A gift.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is no single best way to do this........Money orders are like sending cash to Nigeria. One way risk, If you're not willing to accept some risk in the transaction, neither am I....Which is why I seldom buy on any forum.

I avoid sending money orders like the plague, because of the one way risk and the time involved. My time is valuable, going to the bank and waiting in line to withdraw cash, then going to the post office and waiting in line is a waste of my time.

Now, if you've got some smoking hot deal, I might consider doing it, however, most of the stuff listed on forums is a far cry from being a smoking hot deal. Of course, there are exceptions.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    There is no single best way to do this........
    Agreed. That being said, across all forums, with all gear, the number one at the top of the chart for ease of scamming: gifted paypal.

Paypal has zero sympathy for it. You are out of luck the minute the goods do not arrive. Paypal will not assist you -- at all.

If you have a stellar credit card company, and used a credit card to fund the gift, you MIGHT be able to get them to dispute the charges against Paypal. Who will then close your account.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast