Thread: Flying commercial with a suppressor

Feedback Score

Flying commercial with a suppressor

What do you need to do with TSA if you plan on flying, but only brining a supressor with you? I have two residences, one in PA, one in KS and I'm picking it up in PA then flying to KS.

I would assume they want to treat it like a firearm, but I don't know if it needs its own seperate locking container and what, if any paperwork I need from the ATF to show to the TSA. I'm sure someone here has done this before, so please enlighten me. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Flew to Vegas with a whole case of silencers last Shot Show. Just treat it like a firearm - locked case, etc. Bring a copy of your Form 1/3/4 with you and be prepared to explain to TSA how NFA items are treated. Most of them don't have a clue.

Mark

Feedback Score
    I'll assume you were a dealer. Does an individual need to file any paperwork with the NFA branch before flying?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpe187 View Post
    I'll assume you were a dealer. Does an individual need to file any paperwork with the NFA branch before flying?
    Only if you are planning on staying somewhere over night. Then you need to know the exact address ahead of time to that you can submit an "ATF Form 5320.20" as per (from the ATF website):

Moving Registered NFA Firearms Interstate

Individuals other than qualified Federal firearms licensees must obtain permission from ATF prior to temporarily or permanently moving a machine-gun, short-barreled shotgun, short-barreled rifle, or destructive device interstate. To obtain permission to move these firearms, please submit to ATF either a letter requesting permission to move them or an ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms. This form is available at the ATF Internet website or may be obtained by contacting the NFA Branch. If you are submitting the request by letter, please include the:

• Name of registrant;
    • The firearm(s);
    • The current location of the firearm(s);
    • The location to which the firearm(s) will be transported;
    • The date(s) and means of transportation (car, plane, boat, etc.); and
    • The reason the firearm is being moved.

Please also indicate in the letter whether: (1) the move is temporary or permanent; (2) the move will involve a transfer of the title; and (3) whether the possession of the firearm will violate local or State law at the destination. The ATF Form 5320.20 includes these requirements. Requests for interstate transportation will be denied by ATF if possession of the firearm at the destination will violate State or local law.

Registrants do not have to obtain permission from ATF to move a silencer or “any other weapon” interstate. However, if a registrant’s address for these types of firearms changes after registration with ATF, please notify the NFA Branch in writing of the new address, so the NFRTR can reflect the registrant’s correct address.

Here's a link to that form: http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    You do NOT need to fill out 5320.20 for silencers. Hell, look at the first sentence again:

"Individuals other than qualified Federal firearms licensees must obtain permission from ATF prior to temporarily or permanently moving a machine-gun, short-barreled shotgun, short-barreled rifle, or destructive device interstate. "

Mark

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh hell. I stand corrected!! I did it for mine anyway.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    bookhound is correct but nothing wrong with filing one, if you like carlos

kjo