Who: DSS - Dynamic Shooting Systems
What: Low to No Light Carbine
When: August 20, 2014
Where: Council Bluffs, IA
Why: Fighting in low and no light environments.

Instructor: Shawn Claussen, Dynamic Shooting Systems
• Service as an NCO with the Marine Security Guard Battalion during the 90's, the MSGBN is responsible for US Embassy protection.
• Active Police Officer with 15+ years of experience, special assignments have included Head of the Firearms Training Unit, ERU Marksman/Observer and Entry Team Member.
• Guest Instructor at the 2010 International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor's Annual Training Conference in San Antonio, TX.
• USPSA Production Division, Class "B"

Students: Civilians, MIL, LE.

Weather: Hot, humid.

Firearms: A mix of standard AR's with a few AR pistols in the inventory, no problems noted.

Lights: LED and Incandescent with Surefire, Streamlight, and a few others I can't recall mixed in, no problems noted other than illumination capabilities.

Course overview: This was the first of three courses instructed by Shawn over the course of two days here in CB, and the second time I had attended this specific course. Shawn brings much to the table in the sense of practical application of using firearms...no hype, no gimmicks, no ego.

As I hear echoed in every low light course I attend, it can be tough to get trigger time in the dark. This course provided us the opportunity to work on skills we may have seen in the past and some we hadn't, in an effort to help us figure out what works and what doesn't in the dark.

Just as I've seen in other courses Shawn has instructed, he exposed us to a variety of topics, helped us to understand the dynamics of not only how we should consider doing things, but also why. The information provided in the course was supported by several different sources of information in addition to Shawn's own experiences, further backed up by the students evaluation and performance in the course. Shawn ran us through a variety Marksmanship, Manipulation, Movement, and Multiples drills all the while pushing us and providing feedback on how to tweak our techniques to perform at our own "next level".

Below is an overview of the topics presented AND practiced throughout the Course:

DSS Philosophy:
• Principle Based vs. Scenario Based
• SNS Activation and Action vs. Reaction

Realities of Deadly Force Engagements - Worst Case Scenario Planning:
• NIBRS Data
• FBI: In the line of Fire
• NYPD SOP9
• Armed: Kleck and Kates

DSS Training Methodology:
• 4 M’s

Low to No Light Statistics:
• Baltimore County, MD
• LA County Sheriffs

Carbines:
• Why do we select the carbine as a fighting tool

Physiological effects of darkness

Low to No Light Necessities:
• Navigation

Lights:
• LED vs. Incandescent
• Switching Options and light position on the carbine
• Batteries
• Lumen output and engagement form contact distance out to 100 yards.
• Tritium vs. Non-Tritium Sights
• Weapon Mounted Lights vs. Handheld Lights

Techniques:
• Navigation
• Engagement - WITH and WITHOUT barricades.

Light usage/activation:
• Carbine Mounted
• Using pistols with the carbine mounted lights

Carbine Manipulations:
• Positions: Off Shoulder / Standing / Kneeling / Prone - Strong / Weak Side
• Reloads
• Malfunctions
• Switching Shoulders
• Transitions to pistols

V/r - Rob