Thread: I caved...ordered my first AK tonight!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I caved...ordered my first AK tonight!

I've been doing a lot of thought the past couple of months about picking up an AK pattern rifle. I was very close to purchasing a 5.45 caliber AK-style rifle two months ago. Decided to hold off and use the funds for my AR builds. Really glad I did since 7N6 became banned and essentially dried up overnight. With 5.45 commercial roughly the same price as 7.62, I figured that I would go with a 7.62 for my first AK.

I've done a lot of research, watched tons of YouTube videos and read countless reviews and had narrowed down my choice to the Century Arms C39. USA made, middle of the road quality AK. Figured that would let me "test the waters" of the AK platform and see if this is a platform worth putting my time and money into. I had one in my shopping cart, but I decided to sleep on the C39 purchase before impulse buying it. After reading more reviews over the next couple of days, I emptied my shopping cart and resumed research.

I'm a fan of "you get what you pay for" and "buy once, cry once." I buy quality, mil-spec ARs and parts, so I figured why cheap out on an AK, especially my first one where a strong first range impression is the difference between keeping it and selling it/avoiding the platform? With that in mind, I began looking to Arsenal for a potential AK purchase. I was set on picking up a SLR-107FR, but then I read some reviews on the SAM7 series rifles. After much thought between going with a stamped or milled AK, I stumbled upon a new SAM7R for $1150/free shipping. Pretty good price compared to other listings I've seen online, and only $150 more than the SLR107FR I was going to purchase after adding shipping costs (no free shipping with SLR107)...so...I now have a SAM7R coming to my local FFL. Ordered 5 Magpul AK magazines and a Magpul MOE grip. I'm really looking forward to putting a lot of rounds through this AK. It will be a nice change from only shooting ARs (which is not a bad thing).

I'll probably run the AK in a few classes in the coming years. I'd like to take a Vickers AK class if he comes to my area. Other than that, I'll shoot this pretty regularly. I'll mount an Aimpoint later on and maybe a rail so I can mount a light. But for now, I'm going to shoot the hell out of it with irons and the stock furniture.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 08-27-14 at 22:42.