Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best "GI style" 1911 mags?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Best "GI style" 1911 mags?

Guys,

Who makes the best 7 round GI type mags? I seem to have NO luck with the fancy schmancy 8 round mags from Tripp and Wilson. I always have great performance from a bunch of old Springfield GI syle 7 rounders. I want to stock up, where do I get the best 7 round GI mags?

GHB
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    the colt GI mags work really well and also the Wilson and Chip McCormick seven rounders work well! I dont trust 8 rounders except at matches but these 7 rounders work well for me for self defense

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    http://www.ammoman.com has what appear to be GI mags - new in wrappper - for sale. I have a few of them and they work. I had good luck with Colt mags as well.

M_P

PS - I hardly ever shoot a 1911 anymore, so FWIW

Feedback Score
    What has worked for me is:

Get Chip McCormick (Shooting Star) 8-round mags.

Rip out the innards.

Replace with Tripp Industries springs and followers.

Now you have 7-round mags that will probably work. I have had maybe one stoppage in the last year with my Springfield TRP using these mags. I borrowed my shooting buddy's regular 8-rounders a couple weeks ago and got a stoppage within a few rounds.

Tripp, I think, is now making their own complete mags and these may be the way to go. For the latest and greatest, check www.10-8forums.com which has the best list of 1911 FAQs I've ever seen.
    When life gives you lemons, insert copper and zinc wires in them and repeatedly shock your tongue.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Holy,

I tried following the advice from the 10-8 forum. I have 2 trips 8 and 2 trips 7 round converted mags. Both of them introduced FTF issues that didn't exist with my 7 rounders or my ACT style mags. I would run the ACT mags, but the feed lips are too damn fragile. I found two with cracked feed lips today!!

I have had good luck with the McCormick mags though.

GHB
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you insist on GI "style," then go with Metalform.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Do you have any suggestions? I have tried...

1. wilson.
    2. Tripp
    3. McCormic
    4. ACT (Nighthawk, Novak)
    5 Kimber
    6 colt

Out of them all, my 7 rounders run the best in my various 1911s. The McCormic mags and the ACT mags run nice too. The only problem with the Act mags is they insist on cracking at the rear of the feed lips.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I've always had awesome luck with the mccormicks. The shooting star mags were better than any of the GI's I've used, smooth and reliable. A friend of mine bought the top of the line mccormick mags and they were the usual excellent quality too.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Another McCormick user here, I only use the Powermags. I shoot LSWC ammo almost exclusively as well which has been known to cause feeding issues in guns/mags that will run ball without a problem.

So far, the three Wilson Elite magazines I have are giving me no issues whatsoever either.

IMHO, a gun that won't run an 8 round mag is a problem gun. Doubly so if it won't run on one of the newer long-body 8 rounders like the Wilson Elite, Novaks, or Tripps. I see no reason whatsoever that a 1911 should be so magazine sensitive. Both my Yobo 1* and Brown SF (as well as the Wilson CQB and two Kimbers I have since sold) run on whatever brand I feed them. I have come across a few samples that don't want to work, but I attribute that to it being a bad magazine and just chuck it. You do have to keep on top of your mag springs and change them out when they get too short, but other than that they should run just fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast